Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the CPS? I'm having the exact same problem another member posted, with a no start condition and code 12, but unfortunately all I have to work with is a stupid Haynes manual, and it does not identify the CPS. I changed the BHG and now get rotate but no start, and a code 12. Can someone direct me to a pic of the cps and it's wiring, so I know for sure what I am checking?
Other things I've noticed.....I have a small, two wire plug on the back right side of the engine bay, near the evaporator canister, that is unplugged, and I can't find anything for it to plug into. It looks clean, like it was plugged in before. I have tested the power to my igniter, and tested the coil packs. The only thing I found off was the coilpakc resistance tested to .6 ohms, and the Haynes said it should be .3-.5. I didn't think that was enough diff to cause my problem. The book also showed the coil source power to be pin 2, and mine were on pin 1 of the coil electrical connector. I switched themaround, but still no start.
Also, for parts testing, are the igniter, coil-packs, etc, the same off a NA car? A local guy has several 7MGE cars that he is letting me have parts off of, so I could have some test parts, if so.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
oh i didnt realize you had a cps problem. i recently had a cps die on me. if you have no spark and your injecters dont work then your cps is dead and you have to buy a whole cps.
toyota wanted like 750.00 CAD for a brand new one. but yea when you pull it out bring the engine to TDC and then pull the cps out. it may take a cupple tries to get it in havin the teeth lining up perfactly but its pritty easy.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Harry. That's what I thought it was, but I had a dumb guy trying to "help" who kept telling me "That's the distributor. The sensor must be on the back somewhere". Geez. I finally told him to go home. Now I can check the pins and wires in the CPS connector.
So NA cars have a regular dizzy, and not hte CPS? So no parts swap there to check?

·
Registered
696 Posts
ahh no the turbo and NA are different. i dont realy know if you can rebuild the CPS. The wires get so hard and brittal from the heat from the turbo so i dont think you can do much about it.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
I would say NEVER buy "soft" parts like electronics from Toyota. You will get fucked and they won't even give a reacharound.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yet there isn't any other source for the CPS other than the dealer that I've found...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts