Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm about to order a MAFT Pro tonight (the main thing I was waiting for before rebuilding the turbo and going N/A-T).

I want to dump the "flapper" and go MAP or something along those lines. I would like to get a sensor that I won't have to replace when I bolt on the turbo though... just tune it and go. What sensor or sensor combination would those of you with experience in this area suggest? The most important part is which will work for an N/A's low pressure setup up to about 9psi?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump for the weekend.

Anyone here running a MAFT Pro on N/A electronics? Any help with the differences in wiring it in would be greatly appreciated!

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
CRE said:
Bump for the weekend.

Anyone here running a MAFT Pro on N/A electronics? Any help with the differences in wiring it in would be greatly appreciated!

ITs not something anyone would do. Think about it.....what are you manageing. :wtflol:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
you should be fine. n/a's run a vane AFM and the turbo run a KV AFM. The wiring is very basic and the PRO is a unversal unit. give FFF a call and speak with mike before you order. he can set you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QWIKSTRIKE said:
ITs not something anyone would do. Think about it.....what are you manageing. :wtflol:
It's not just about management at this point, I'm trying to space things out. My car is my DD, if I can get the Maft Pro installed and get a little experience with it before I'll be more knowledgable about the the functionality of the Maft Pro, it'll already be installed, the flapper bottleneck will have already been eliminater.....

I think it's obvious why I want to install it now and convert. It may not be practical, but I believe my reasoning is sound.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I really wish I purchased a maft pro for my 7mge-t. Instead, I tuned with 440s, safc, wideband and a walbro. I suggest buying this for any turbo'ed ge.

na-t Dave

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, since I was already expecting to have to pickup a SAFC-II and MSD6 along with the usual hardware, the pricetag and addition of timing control sold me... And I really want to get rid of the AFM.

Now I'm just trying to see how I can work out doing it a little bit at a time. First install the Maft Pro, then switch over to MAP, drop in a good FPR, install 440's. Then finally take a vacation for work, drill the oil pan for my return line, swap out my exhaust install the turbo and retune. So, I am looking to go MAP before installing a turbo, but just so I can space things out.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It really depends on how you want to go about it. Going with the Maft Pro should really simplify the electronics end of things, especially if your doing a 1/2 na-t and want to dump the AFM.

Aside from the soct of the Maft Pro I'm still going to need the MAP hardware, but that's relatively inexpensive... All the other hardware used is the same: 440 injectors, intercooler and pipes, oil cooler, turbo, dp, bov, fpr...

Now back on topic, anyone know what GM sensor might work for switching to MAP while I'm still N/A and not need replacing when I add turbo into the mix?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I understand, all you "HAVE" to have is:

1) a turbo
2) exhaust manifold
3) a rising rate FPR
4) a blow off valve
5) a fuel computer (Apexi SAFC, SAFC-II, Maft Pro, etc.)
6) an oil return inlet

HIGHLY recommended:

6) higher fuel pump
7) higher flow injectors
8) a timing controller (MSD6 or Maft Pro)
9) oil cooler
10) intercooler
11) 12v fuel pump mod

Did I miss anything? (other than a new HG)

One thing I've heard a few of the N/A-T guys express is their wish to get rid of the restrictions caused by the N/A's AFM. I've been told it can make tuning difficult and a bit unreliable. For reliability, I'm inclined to believe that switching to MAP is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Awesome...I am glad it will be functional. I didn't want to assume that you were if you didn't say so. :)
Well, I did say, but it's all good. I usually just scan posts for the relevent info.... sometimes details get missed.

BUT, my question still stands (well sort of). I know I can use the Maft Pro to dump the flapper while I'm still running n/a. I would like to do this, get it setup and running, and just retune it when I do finally add the turbo. I'd like to put in a sensor which I won't have to replace when I add my turbo.

It has occurred to me that I should be fine if I use a sensor recommended for turbo applications... They've gotta meter when you're running in the low RPMs right?

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
CRE said:
Well, I did say, but it's all good. I usually just scan posts for the relevent info.... sometimes details get missed.

BUT, my question still stands (well sort of). I know I can use the Maft Pro to dump the flapper while I'm still running n/a. I would like to do this, get it setup and running, and just retune it when I do finally add the turbo. I'd like to put in a sensor which I won't have to replace when I add my turbo.

It has occurred to me that I should be fine if I use a sensor recommended for turbo applications... They've gotta meter when you're running in the low RPMs right?

I would say that is correct. If you reall are going that route for sure nothing wrong with buying it and trying it. If it don't work you wait for the transfer then use it!;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting stuff. This is exactly the route I'm planning to go over the next couple of months as I prep for my 1/2NA-T. Keep it coming...

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
i would say do it!

they where talking about setting the maft pro up to work with the n/a flapper about 6months ago so hopfully they have done it by now..

but yeah it definitly makes stuff alot easier when upgrading to turbo.

i would suggest getting a wide band aswell before you go turbo so you can start to under stand the aspect of tunning with the pro before you start boosting.

you also wont have fuel cut since the n/a ecu wasn't programed with it..

~edit~

i am using a gm 3bar map sensor. with my maft pro set up. which set's me up to not have to buy any thing else to be able to tune upto 28psi (well besides the stuff needed to get their, injectors ,fpr, and bigger turbo..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts