Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in oreillys a few days ago, and they had gallons of auto paint, and i was considering using it for another project, they had primer and paint, but i didn't happen to see clear, and since i was wanting to go for a pearl, i was wondering what kind of paint it is, if anybody has an idea...acrylic enamel, laquer perhaps? I checked the website, and they don't even have the gallons on there, so i'm stumped...

Thanks,
Devon

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was not aware they sold any duplicolor product in gallons. Duplicolor is for small work, not for major projects. Thats why it comes premixed in spray cans. You can get the clear though. They have it at walmart. On a side note, you can get directly from Duplicolor any factory matched color for any car. Of course your local auto paint store can do the same thing, they will even put it in spray cans for you.

·
Ticketing Ricers Evrywhre
1,485 Posts
Proficio said:
I was not aware they sold any duplicolor product in gallons. Duplicolor is for small work, not for major projects. Thats why it comes premixed in spray cans. You can get the clear though. They have it at walmart. On a side note, you can get directly from Duplicolor any factory matched color for any car. Of course your local auto paint store can do the same thing, they will even put it in spray cans for you.
Duplicolor is the same thing as the Chromalusion that DuPont makes. House of Kolor has the Kameleon, and BASF has the Extreme Rainbow. My grandfather used to work for Ogden Auto Paint & Glass and he told me that the Dupont Chromalusion is like $850.00 a pint, but his cost, which is dealer cost is like $320.00 a pint. Follow the links and you can read more about it & see some pics...

http://www1.dupont.com/NASApp/dupontglobal/corp/index.jsp
http://www.duplicolor.com/
http://corporate.ppg.com/ppg/corporate/default.htm
http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/index.jsp
http://www.basf-coatings.de/02/scr_02_en.htm

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yea Ive been to the site before. I can testify first hand on the quality of duplicolor. Its good stuff. A buddy of mine installed some duplicolor painted rear bumper skirts on his 3rd gen 7, they are holding up great and look professional.

The only point I was trying to make was Ive never seen Duplicolor in gallons.

·
Registered
121 Posts
goto paint shop pick up a gallon of transtar and juss use the whole gallon if your paintin with a compressor n spray gun then wet sand it till its flat n orange peeless it's only a clear better then 800$ a gal for cost i've used transtar at work and my clear is transtar and i used a slight blue pearl from ppg and most shops hear in NYC uses transtar dunno if ya ever heard of it or use it but its great

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
samster said:
goto paint shop pick up a gallon of transtar and juss use the whole gallon if your paintin with a compressor n spray gun then wet sand it till its flat n orange peeless it's only a clear better then 800$ a gal for cost i've used transtar at work and my clear is transtar and i used a slight blue pearl from ppg and most shops hear in NYC uses transtar dunno if ya ever heard of it or use it but its great
,,,,,,,,,, ......... ;;;;; '''''

toss a few of those in there, and maybe we can understand what you're trying to say.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
I heard Maaco did good paint jobs, ask dumbfucksupra aka dolucksupra thats where he got his paint job done at... aight peace :chicken:

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
O reillys has the transtar atleast our store does, hok, dupont chroma base and chroma premier, Dupont nason! chroma base i can say is good stuff looks real nice!

D

·
0 Posts
hahahaha maaco? ya right.....um....my paint job cost 6,000.00 buddy...im pretty sure maaco didnt do it....its a house of kolor with a pearl compared to ur rusted out piece of shit with BAS written on a non-painted hood....:rolleyes:

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
DoLuckTurboSupra said:
hahahaha maaco? ya right.....um....my paint job cost 6,000.00 buddy...im pretty sure maaco didnt do it....its a house of kolor with a pearl compared to ur rusted out piece of shit with BAS written on a non-painted hood....:rolleyes:
My car has no rust on it and do a search on this guy when he was catchmeifyoucan3 before he was banned, he posted postes about maaco and has lied in the past about what he has, so I am sure he did it at maaco... aight peace :chicken:

D

·
0 Posts
I DID NOT GO FUCKIN MAACO U DUMB ASS BITCH....You want fuckin proof you can call my body shop guy..his # is (920)209-9757 and his name is Adam...enough proof? call and find out if u wish. you need a life homie

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
DoLuckTurboSupra said:
I DID NOT GO FUCKIN MAACO U DUMB ASS BITCH....You want fuckin proof you can call my body shop guy..his # is (920)209-9757 and his name is Adam...enough proof? call and find out if u wish. you need a life homie
Chill... btw, back on topic, if you have shit, take it over the PM system... btw http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234103&highlight=maaco

and I've tried the duplicolor stuff before, works pretty good, the key is the prep job when it comes to painting things... aight peace :chicken:

D

·
0 Posts
dude that post was way before i even found out where i was going to go, and i was asking questions....When i posted that like 8 months ago i had no clue..i just got my paint job done 2 weeks ago from one of the best show car painters in the state....thats why i decided to spend 6,000.00 over 800.00 ;) And i gave you my body guy's # if that isnt enough proof to end this discussion i dont know what is.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
well my buddy used the duplicolor on his mirrors turned out well but they just wont shine as hard no matter how many coats of clear u use! he used the duplicolor clear but it isnt bad in any case!

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
the Super Red II from duplicolor matches pretty damn well. a friend repaintd his trim pieces w/ it on his 91 and it matches very nicely. its a nice finish too. not even cleared.

that is to say, the duplicolor Super Red II is single stage and doesnt require clearcoat after paitning.

i just repainted my trim with this duplicolor primer and paint. ill try to take some pics of it on my car after i put it back together.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
jesus chill out already, 6 grand US is pretty retarded if you ask me, friend of mine painted his chevy (the inside of the box too, which is extra) for 3500 canadian with just minor prep work. and that paint has lasted about 2 years now with out a single chip, rust spot or anything. the color is also incredibly vibrant, deep blue with some amazing background and foundation, it also handles the elements very well, like gravel roads and salt. you dont need to pay a ridiculous amount to paint a car, having a friend who can spray autobody paint is a plus too. i guess decent work must just cost more down in the states, the average decent paint job is about 3000 canadian up here, 6 gs US seems like a bit of a rip, i hope it was worth it though. hey boostaddctn, is it absolutely necessary to say aight at the end of every post? just wondering.

D

·
0 Posts
yeah theres differences in paint jobs...Look at a new ferrari..then look at a new camry....big changes. Usually how it goes, you get what you pay for. My paint job is not just a spray over...it is a complete job with a complex paint job with a metallic and a pearl with 7 clear coats. It shines like no other. To me, the paint job is worth every cent of 6k, doesnt matter who says elsewise, but it was painted by one of the best painters in wisconsin that does ferrari's and corvettes etc...

And yeah that boostaddctn with that AIGHT PEACE is the gayest fucking thing i have ever heard.....AIGHT PEACE! u should change it to "AIGHT IM A FERRY" that would be more fitting

1 - 20 of 33 Posts