Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm going to be redoing a few pieces of my interior which look bad and was wondering if it would be bad to repaint the steer wheel. The leather wheel is pretty ratty, and finding a cheap replacement has been very difficult. If I used the paint on the wheel would I just end up with paint on my hands everytime I drive? Just need some thoughts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yes it will get all over your hand just get a steering wheel from ebay for $20 -$50 or just get a wheel rap it takes 5min to put on

·
Registered
592 Posts
I doubt you would end up with paint on your hands...........but I still would not attempt it. Not on the hand grips anyway. I have tried it and it turned out pretty good(looks anyways) but I want be putting it in the car. I just did it for fun.

I picked up a black replacement from a junkyard for 35 bux. I think it came out of a 91.

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
either repalce it or buy the $50 wheel wrap, god I forget the brand but im sure someone could chime in if they have it on their car also. It fits absolutely PERFECT very tight and look awesome. the directions say it take a few hours. I mean its a tedious job with this particu;ar steering wheel cover but the results are fantastic.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hmmmm.....Ive done this...

Go to a shoe repair shop and talk to the guy. You will need 2products. One is a leather prep....it will take out the old dye and prepare the wheel for the new color. The other is a Leather dye....usually in a spray can.

It worked for me......and It dont come off on the hands.

David

·
Project Mayhem!!!
789 Posts
Wheelskins steering wheel wrap/cover. They are sold by measuremant/size of the wheel, and look really good when finished. Closest thing to a new factory wheel in my opinion. They come in all kinds of colors, as wel as you can get it perforrated on the side sections if you want. Ebay is probably easiest to find one.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
Go with proper leather restoration products, they will basically restore the finish to the way it was new.

Proper prep and dye is key. If you have cracks you can get crack filler as well.

Check out www.leatherique.com.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would redye the wheel, except that the wheel is physically damaged. That is why I wanted to use the leather/vinyl paint. It would refinish the surface (which looks like it got chewed on) and restore the color. I will look into the wheel wraps, as long as these are different than steering wheel covers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts