Supra Forums banner

During Startup

587 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  KeQ 
G
#1 ·
Just started yesturday... when I started up my car from the garage... there was this sound like rubbing going on under the hood... I quickly turn it off and it kept on going(after I took out the key)... I turned the key and the jump car jumped back on like it was already on... like all i need was a tap of my key to start it up... I then put my car on neutral and let go of the clutch.. and the sound went away. After that I went to college and came home safely with no sound, but today the sound reoccured... i let go of the clutch and the sound went away... could it be some kind of connnection between the engine and the trans? becuz when im at a light or parked idling... a ringin noise appears... like rubbing metal... Plz help.. sent to mechinic on this ringing noise but didnt help... dont want to spend more money on useless help... Thanks supra 95 se stock...

#2 ·
Thats the same thing that happnes to my car. When i start it up and its in park it sound likes its rubbing, but when i put it in reverse/ drive it goes away. I always thought it was the radiator fan hitting something but i dont think thats what it is. Mabye somebody will have the answer.

G
#3 ·
mmm, maybe a bearing??? I know that if your car makes a funny noise when u take your foot of the clutch in neutral, its generally your thrust bearing (makes a whining noise, like a gyro), so perhaps its sumthing similar here.
Cheers

#4 ·
yea i thought it was the same thing as blacksupra94 not sure what it is tho. im sure it had nothing to do with my clutch cause i got it replaced and all the bearings and everything also seems like its around where the belt for the air conditioner is at. i notice its louder if i run the a/c so that may be it

G
#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys... but the prob is that when I turn on my car this happens... and when I release the clutch... after starting up the sound goes away and the light in my car seems brighter(sometimes turn on supra with car door open...). This sound will not go away if you just turn the key off... I took the key off and the car kept on rubbing... and when you turn the key the engine pops back on... with the sound... only thing that helped was releasing the clutch... and yeah I did everything... only remedy for the sound was release the clutch and the sound imediately disappears... I Never used AC in my car... my trips with the car ranges from 2-10miles everyday or every other day... This sound is not an old engine making noise its like an engine ready to blow...lol ... but really i dont think this is a normal sound when the car age or else this car would be kinda funky with all these rubbing noises...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.