Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with my NA-T lately, and it seems really sporadic. Over the last month I've had the engine completely die while driving twice, so I pull over. I try to start it and it just cranks, but doesnt start up. After about five minutes it'll start right back up as if there was no issue.

The only things I can think of are a fuel filter issue, a fuel pump issue, distributor/ignition issue, or maybe a bad patch of gas? Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts on the most likely culprits, or if theres something I havent thought of, as I dont really have a way to tell if the issue is fixed unless it happens again...

I'm driving to Vegas in a week or so, so I want to have this taken care of before I take the long six hour drive.

I'm running AEM EMS and its a MKIV...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are there any sensors that will cut off ignition and keep the car from starting? I'm just wondering if I have a intermittently bad sensor somewhere...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
you sure its not overheating and starting up after the engine cooled down? if its an NA it still has a distributor right? maybe that might be the cause....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This multiplies the possible number of problems by 100. There are many many different tables and settings that could potentially cause a problem like this if the EMS was not tuned right. If you have a tuner, I'd consult him.

I've run a good two years after getting tuned without having any problems, I dont see why they'd just pop up now? I've been thinking about hooking up my laptop and reading to make sure all the sensors seem to be good. Its just been so long since I've hooked up my laptop, and I dont remember much about the program heh.

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
Potentially losing spark & causing the cylinders to flood?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alternator/battery/starter all seem fine. After it dies, the car will crank, just wont start.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
did you ever get this figured out? my brothers na-t is having the same problem right now... the car runs fine and dies like its out of gas...but its not. first time it did it he thought he ran out of gas and it started after they filled it...but it sat for about 40 mins so i think it might have been the same issue.. right now it died again with a full tank.. just cranks and will sometimes fire up for a sec and thats it..

·
Registered
539 Posts
Have you checked coil voltage, fuel pump voltage, fuel pressure, tps, or injectors?

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
How do your plugs look? This sounds electrical because if it was mechanical, it wouldn't just start back up all the same.

Think it might be a knock sensor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably not much help but I used to drive a civic, standard except induction kit and exhaust, and if I drove it around for a good while and turned it off and then went to restart it, it would just crank but not fire. Then after 4-5 mins it would start again perfect. I never got it checked out but I always thought it was a heat issue. Sounds like your problem but mine was in no way tuned.

I used to stand and look at the engine as if I was gonna find what it was, I may aswell have been lookin into a bucket of horse sh*t for what I know about engines!!

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
well the car is all the way at the beach 4 hours away right now... we will start diagnosing when my brother gets back in town early next week. plugs should be in perfect condition, we just put them in 4 days ago, the day of the tune, and the car never ran rich on them.. would a knock sensor acting up cause the car to shut itself down for a little bit?

have not had a chance to check coil voltage or any of that.. injectors should be fine as well... the car fires up for just a bit but them dies again, i ran the injectors for 2 years w/out any problems..

i would think its something fuel related but like i said it starts up almost right away then dies until you leave it for like 30 mins.

maybe the tps is going back like you said? loosing singal so it shuts down?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts