Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cruising the 6speedonline forum and found that DYMAG in the UK is now making rims with magnesium centers and carbon fiber rim sections. It looks like this initially started as a project for the CGT but now they will make 18,19,20 in diff widths too. The prices are very high at over 2k a rim but the weights are incredibly low IE 16.7 lbs for 19x9.5. They are offering centerlock and the standard 5 lug setup. Here are some pics:

who will be the first???!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do I sense some porshe penis envy? You guys know they custom make them in diff widths, offsets and diameters right? Oh wait - everybody in the states only cares about how much chrome is on their HRE rims...

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
You mean people would put chrome on HRE rims? ...there is just no accounting for "taste".

But if anyone knows how, it seems DYMAG should know how to make that kind of wheel successfully. I've looked at solid forged Mag wheels for super lightness (ala Volk) but they were too rich for my pocket so sadly they are all relegated to fantasy only for me :( Maybe if we organize a group buy, we can get a deal? ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok maybe chrome on HRE's is over the top baller for most here LOL

just seems like most in supra community care about throwing HP at the car's huge weight issue. Ok I will continue to carry the lightweight torch.... ok me and Steve Theadore...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They are very light, but not significantly lighter than the lightest forged aluminum wheels.

The LE28N/CE28N I run are 13.8lbs front, 14.8lbs rear. They are light enough for you to toss it around.

Is it worth the extra $1.4k per wheel? for that additional 1 or 2 lbs? I like all go no bullshit lightweight approach as well, but the value is obvious.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
fatkatsupra said:
Do I sense some porshe penis envy? You guys know they custom make them in diff widths, offsets and diameters right? Oh wait - everybody in the states only cares about how much chrome is on their HRE rims...
Fortunantely less than 1% of HRE wheels sold have a chrome finish (according to HRE).

Also Volk is the popular wheel in the states because it's practical and affordable. $2.5k is reasonable to spend on wheels, occasionally somebody will spend the $4-6k on HRE wheels but given how rare that is, I don't think you'll have much luck getting a groupbuy together for $8k wheels. Either way good luck.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
RossoCorsaItaly said:
Fortunantely less than 1% of HRE wheels sold have a chrome finish (according to HRE).

Also Volk is the popular wheel in the states because it's practical and affordable. $2.5k is reasonable to spend on wheels, occasionally somebody will spend the $4-6k on HRE wheels but given how rare that is, I don't think you'll have much luck getting a groupbuy together for $8k wheels. Either way good luck.

Sorry for this non DYMAG comment being more about HRE's, but in spite of the relative high cost of HRE's it surprises me that I see at least a few sets of HRE's at almost every car meet I go to or even at every HPDE track day I attend. I spent nearly as much on other wheels just so I wouldn't see them everywhere I went. Unfortunately, mine are not nearly as light as the DYMAG's either.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My comparison is only towards the Dynamag wheels. Given the price, there are a lot of wheels that looks better at less or similar price. From low end to high end.

As for weight saving, there are wheels that are just as light and strong, if the weight saving is the only goal, they are not very good value.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
fatkatsupra said:
Ok maybe chrome on HRE's is over the top baller for most here LOL

just seems like most in supra community care about throwing HP at the car's huge weight issue. Ok I will continue to carry the lightweight torch.... ok me and Steve Theadore...
How light is yours? :bigthumb: I'm almost under the 2999 mark. Yes, she's a targa:)

Those Dymag wheels look insane! But I'm willing to bet the BBS magnesiums are about the same weight. Interesting regardless, good find.

Billy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts