Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Your Neighborhood OG
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently redoing my whole trunk enclosure, going with a single 12 (which is probably going to be a RE audio SE) Just wondering for you guys with bump in the trunk, how many of guys installed dynamat? Also how many layers? And most important what location(s) in the trunk? Am I going to need it underneath my fiberglass enclosure by like the fuel cell and spare tire location? Or just on the side walls and on the deck lid?
I am going to use the actual "dynamat" brand not going with any knock off stuff, I was orginally going to go with the spray on type but that shit is bank and from what I heard I would almost be over doing it with that stuff. Any input or suggestions would be nice, again this is just for the trunk I already have some in my door panels and behind my license plate.

·
BOOBIES
3,212 Posts
Great choice on the sub and also very smart on going the sound deadening route. My biggest mistake was not doing any sound deadening for my system :(

Anyways from what I've seen, if you're going to put dynamat in you might as well put it everywhere in the trunk since you're going in there anyway. Also, there are many companies that make great sound deadening products. It doesn't have to by "Dynamat" to be good. Brown Bread is supposed to be a great product for a bit cheaper than dynamat. The spray stuff is also supposed to be excellent, though I'm not sure what you mean by overdoing it? I don't think there's a such thing as overdoing it when it comes to sound deadening :)

Also, the spray stuff might be lighter which would be a big + since sound deadening materials can usually be very heavy!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
ok, this is the 800000000000000th time i've posted this, but here it is: dynamat is about $100 or so for 1 layer that *might* cover your whole trunk. this sucks. enter "Seal and Peel" which is the SAME SHIT as dynamat but a 6" roll that's like 50' long is about $12 or so at your local hardware store. it's sold as a roofing supply, but it's actually used for car stereos. i did my whole trunk in two layers including fender wells, bottom, hatch, spare tire well, and some of the trim pieces for about $50 worth of seal and peel. I think the whole car could be done for around $100 or so. it's self adhesive, just like dynamat. it's not as thick as dynamat extreme, but you could do 10 layers of seal and peal for the same price. just use it, it's worth it. btw, the spray stuff is called dynashield and has some protective properties as well, but mostly it's useful for areas that are hard to reach with seal and peel, but i've used it and it works ok, but not as well as dynamat.

·
BOOBIES
3,212 Posts
wh0wants2know said:
ok, this is the 800000000000000th time i've posted this, but here it is: dynamat is about $100 or so for 1 layer that *might* cover your whole trunk. this sucks. enter "Seal and Peel" which is the SAME SHIT as dynamat but a 6" roll that's like 50' long is about $12 or so at your local hardware store. it's sold as a roofing supply, but it's actually used for car stereos. i did my whole trunk in two layers including fender wells, bottom, hatch, spare tire well, and some of the trim pieces for about $50 worth of seal and peel. I think the whole car could be done for around $100 or so. it's self adhesive, just like dynamat. it's not as thick as dynamat extreme, but you could do 10 layers of seal and peal for the same price. just use it, it's worth it. btw, the spray stuff is called dynashield and has some protective properties as well, but mostly it's useful for areas that are hard to reach with seal and peel, but i've used it and it works ok, but not as well as dynamat.
If I had any reps left I'd hit you up. :stickpoke

·
Your Neighborhood OG
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wh0wants2know said:
:biggrin: :biggrin: Yeah dynamat extreme is bank, but there is definitly one nice thing about working at Best Buy in the car audio department....... I get everything at COST. Dynamat trunk kit retails at 96 bucks, i get it for 40 bucks. Plus we have a bunch of extra sheets laying around the install bay.

573 Posts
Not to start an argument.. but, Peel and seal is not the same stuff.. Granted it has a similar look and aluminum foil top, but peel and seal contains asphalt. Asphalt contains tar, and tar is not good for you to be breathing all the time. I know that I don't really care for the melting tar smell in my car when its hot out (not that I see the sun that much in WA).

Dynamat does not contain asphalt. Nor does a few of the more reasonable priced copies out there.

Justin

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
eh...the smell goes away after the first few days...*cough, cought* but it works pretty darn good. I peel n seal'd my whole trunk with extra layers over the exhaust side to quiet the inside a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one layers dynamat in the car. I think that was one of the best things i did when I put my stereo in.

·
Professional White Man
2,673 Posts
peel and seal is good shit, but he said he wants dynamat and not any knock offs, and if you can get it for cheap, then more power to you. Id say pull up all the carpet in the trunk and line the entire bottom, and down in the spare tire well, then go and do the sides and the deck lid. You should only need one layer with only a 12, but if you get rattles, then do a second layer.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
www.secondskinaudio.com
Hit me up and I will get you a discount :) Second Skin Damplifier is superior to Dynamat. Not only does it have higher heat tolerances (due to a thicker foil) but it also has better adhesives, no asphault and better acoustical dampening proporties.

Personally however, I'd recommend Spectrum (liquid) deadener. Especially for you supra guys. Per pound or per thickness, liquid deadeners are superior to matts in absorbing and blocking sound. Not only that, but it is easier to apply in tight areas and spectrum contains additives which prevent rust and chemical damage to any area it is applied to. Spectrum Sludge that they just released is almost the thickness of peanut butter and as such you don't need to make a mess sparying it on. Grab your trust putty knife and go at er' :)

I'm done advertising now :) RE SE, good choice :)

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
You can get some at ikesound.com , I dynamated the entire thing and its great, doesnt sound like a hale storm when im driving over pebbles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts