Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i lowered compression with a 2mm head gasket, and all pulls were done at 10 psi, The car wants me to buy an electronic boost controller! I did 320 WRHP @ 10 psi. What do you think i can do at like 16 psi? I did like 8 pulls, here are the last 3

Oh yeah pretty nice A/F ratio i tuned it myself at like 11.5 pretty much across the board from 4k rpms. 11.5 is safe, you think i should raise it to 12:1 or just leave it for the higher boost?

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Damn thats a good lookin car. Nice job tuning too what did you use? Also from what I hear you would want to keep the tune in the area of 11-11.5 to 1 for a street car. Any leaner might be too much heat for the car.

G

·
Derek is runnin the DaveH kit with a PT51 turbo. I took a ride in it without it being tuned and the thing pulls extremely hard from 3000 all the way to redline and that was untuned. Derek, I'll have to come by soon for a tuned ride. LOL!!!

Ryan

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
looks good. nice a/f

I did manage to hit 315rwhp in my 97 n/a-t auto at 11psi with the TE44 turbo and Dave H's kit.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Thats awesome man! Nice work! I'd keep the a/f on the rich side (11.5:1) to be safe. That turbo is going to really wake up around 18-20 psi. :) but I'd run some race gas if you are going to try that much boost. Even at ~14psi with pump gas it's gonna pull a lot stronger. Congrats!

DaveH

*EDIT* wait, I recall you have 440cc injectors... scratch the 20 psi idea. :(

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,286 Posts
is this with the basic bare-bones kit? just a thicker headgasket, basic kit, and AFC?

what did it cost u?

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did pretty good tuning for my fist time on the dyno with an S-AFC. Dave, do you think I can do like 15-16 psi on pump gas with the 440's? What HP levels do you think i'll put down with 15-16psi? I am thinking of putting in some 660's and going with the greddy e-manage instead of going VPC or AEM. Does the E-Manage work well with the larger injectors? I know it supports up to 680's.

dunno what the cost was, i gathered everything over a couple of months.

Daveh manifold, WG dump tube, and 3" downpipe
Tial 38mm WG
PT51 Turbo
Greddy Type S blowoff
Precision FMIC (supports 750HP)
MSD6BTM ignition with boost retard
2mm thick headgasket
Apexi S-AFC
Centerforce stage 2 clutch
SC400 MAF
440cc injectors

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran an 2002 LS1 WS6 tonight from a 20 roll. The guy only had a K&N and exhaust. We went from a 20 roll and were pretty even for awhile, and i started to pull at the top of 3rd and ended up his front bumper to my rear bumper when i shut it down in 4th, probably like 115-120 very good run. I have it on video and as soon as i get the adapter i'll upload it to the web. This is only at 10 psi, i cant wait til i get my AVC-R :)

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
5spd_sc300 said:
I did pretty good tuning for my fist time on the dyno with an S-AFC. Dave, do you think I can do like 15-16 psi on pump gas with the 440's? What HP levels do you think i'll put down with 15-16psi?
440s should be good for 400rwhp... just get it on the dyno and make sure it doesn't lean out any:)

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You will have to work the boost level up slowly to see where the injectors start running out... be very careful. :eek: I'm guessing ~14-15 psi will wake the turbo up a lot, prob close to 400rwhp I'd guess (if the injectors will support it). I'd bet that with the Lex AFM and AFC you'd be able to control 550cc injectors just fine, that will prob be enough injector for that turbo. I'm not too familiar with the Emanage.

DaveH

5spd_sc300 said:
I did pretty good tuning for my fist time on the dyno with an S-AFC. Dave, do you think I can do like 15-16 psi on pump gas with the 440's? What HP levels do you think i'll put down with 15-16psi? I am thinking of putting in some 660's and going with the greddy e-manage instead of going VPC or AEM. Does the E-Manage work well with the larger injectors? I know it supports up to 680's.

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your support guys.

Dave- Do you really think the SC4 AFM will control 550's well? Right now i already run rich driving around town under 3k rpms. Wouldnt the 550's make my car run really rich under 3500 rpms because i cant tune those rpms with the AFC? I would just think the computer would throw way too much gas in at low rpm's bc of the factory fuel mapping. Has anyone done 550's with sc400/ls400 MAF, and had it running around town well

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
You should be able to tune any set RPM increment with the AFC it has an adjustment where you can tell it at what RPMS to increase or decrease fuel. Of course you might want to mess with both the Hi and Lo Throttle maps as well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
5spd_sc300 said:

Dave- Do you really think the SC4 AFM will control 550's well? Right now i already run rich driving around town under 3k rpms. Wouldnt the 550's make my car run really rich under 3500 rpms because i cant tune those rpms with the AFC? I would just think the computer would throw way too much gas in at low rpm's bc of the factory fuel mapping. Has anyone done 550's with sc400/ls400 MAF, and had it running around town well
Most mk111 turbo upgrade their afm to the lexus ones and run 550's without a problem. since the mkiv na has the same afm at the turbo mk111 the same principles should apply.

·
TurboLexus
200 Posts
good numbers bro....keep us informed on your progress and keep up the good work

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
It should work fine. How do you have your AFC setup? With 550cc injectors you can set the LO and HI maps to ~ -35% across the board, then tune only the HI maps on the dyno. It should run like stock on low throttle/no boost.

Stock NA injectors are ~330cc, + 25% for the AFM means it should run fine with 412cc injectors without any AFC correction, then add ~35% to that (with the AFC) should get you to run 550cc injectors. Of course tune with a wideband, these are just approximate numbers.

FYI, the Lex AFM is 25% larger than the stock AFM.

DaveH

5spd_sc300 said:

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I understand that you can lean it out more when the ECU is in open loop, above like ~3500RPMS with the 550cc injectors with no problem. But what i want to know is if its is going to run really rich below 3500. you cant tune below 3500 because of closed loop mode on the ECU. it will override the AFC. Will the computer do ok under 3500 rpms at low throttle because it takes o2 readings, and doesnt run off of the MAF as much?

right now with my 440's are leaned out 14-15% at 4000 + rpms

DaveH said:
It should work fine. How do you have your AFC setup? With 550cc injectors you can set the LO and HI maps to ~ -35% across the board, then tune only the HI maps on the dyno. It should run like stock on low throttle/no boost.

Stock NA injectors are ~330cc, + 25% for the AFM means it should run fine with 412cc injectors without any AFC correction, then add ~35% to that (with the AFC) should get you to run 550cc injectors. Of course tune with a wideband, these are just approximate numbers.

FYI, the Lex AFM is 25% larger than the stock AFM.

DaveH

1 - 20 of 45 Posts