Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was the day to take care of FINALLY getting my car tuned.

Here is a brief rundown on the car:

Brand new (3000 miles on it) stock bottom end
PHR stage 2 ported head
Twin in-tank fuel system w/ 720 injectors - RRFPR, etc.
VPC/GCC/Profec B
RPS stage 3 clutch
HKS Type S FMIC
Stage 2 turbo

We filled the car with 118 race fuel and put new plugs and a new O2 sensor in the DP for the tuning. The car was strapped down and Jarrett began the tuning. As expected it was running dog rich... off the A/F scale from about 4200-5500
RPM. Slowly fuel was removed and the power started to come. I'm not going to bore you with the play-by-play. So here are the results.

At 18 psi it put 500.3 hp to the rear wheels - Torque was 442.8 ft/lbs
At 20 psi it made 537.2 RWHP and 473.2 ft/lbs... the torque curve is very nice.

From about 4300 all the way to 6500 it was over 400 ft/lbs...
From 4600 - 6300 it was over 450 ft/lbs.

Then it happened... We ran out of boost controller. For whatever reason the Profec B simply would not allow more than 20 psi... even with everything maxed out. I was not too happy! The Profec will be hitting the trash can soon and be replaced by a HKS EVC EZ.

I really wanted to see what it was going to do at 26 psi. But with the numbers it made at 18 and 20 psi I am pretty confident that I would have seen low 600's. I think the next change I will make will be to go with a larger FMIC... probably the Type R. I have a feeling that the Type S simply cannot flow enough air to let the motor/turbo get to it's full potential.

Considering the weather here in NC yesterday was VERY nasty. It was in the mid-90's with high humidity all day, I am very pleased with the reults of the 18 and 20 psi pulls... and with the car. It's an absolute blast to drive.

I had about 20 minutes of play time (dry roads) before the rainstorm-from-hell started in Raleigh. The car is un-real. Traction seems to be an issue until 4th gear. I can only imagine what 26 psi will be like. I'll let you guys know when the EVC EZ goes in and I take it back to the dyno.

I'll try to get the plots posted somewhere so you can all see them.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Jim, congrats on your car. You will love it if Jarrett builds it.

I am not sure if the Type S is your problem. On our SP 63, we made 558 RWHP and 512 ft lbs, at 19 psi, and this was done with a type S, and a EVC EZ. Is your car an auto?? Maybe that would explain the lower #s? I am sure Jarrett will figure it out. I would also get the EVC EZ, it works great.

Good Luck!!

Lar
SP

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Strong numbers, Jim. Should really get interesting with 26+ psi of boost.

Your poor tires ;).

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

Larry... there is more power to be had. I know that Jarrett was err-ing on the rich side as opposed to pushing things to the very edge since this is going to be basically a daily driver.

I think the weather was a factor (hot and humid) and not to mention the fact that all these pulls were done with relatively no cool time between. I think the car was only shut off one time and given about 10 minutes to cool.

But regardless... I am still pleased with the results... and it'll always give me an opportunity to tweak it a bit here and there. I can't wait to turn it up to 26 psi and see what it'll do with bigger boost.

Those are awesome numbers you made with the SP63!

Thanks again everyone!

I can't say enough good things about Jarrett and Powerhouse. Now if he will just come up with those T-shirts he's been promising! :D :D :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice numbers!

My car has been running soo much better at night time with all this heat and humidity during the day....I know what you mean about the nasty NC weather. :D

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: TWNTRBO ]

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right about the weather. Saturday night was just awesome. I decided to go to Capitol Blvd and play with some of the local ricers..... It was a blast.

·
0 Posts
Curious as to why you went with a Stage II head instead of cams. Stock cams are definitely the bottleneck for you once you get your boost situation squared away. 264s would be good for 50+ rwhp...

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
They are good for 52 rwhp!!!!
AMHIK
:)

Originally posted by 2JZGTE:
<STRONG>Curious as to why you went with a Stage II head instead of cams. Stock cams are definitely the bottleneck for you once you get your boost situation squared away. 264s would be good for 50+ rwhp...</STRONG>

·
3,148 Posts
Jim,

Nice numbers, especially at that low boost. You should just get a good MBC and be done with it. Most of he time the EBC are just something you have to keep messing with all the time. The MBC are basically set it and forget it. I am definately going to have to ride in the car and see how the lag is. Please post your 18psi run as this is what I'm interested in running on the roadcourses. It probably won't feel that much different from Phillip's car when he was on the NOS. :) I rode in his car when it was making 550rwhp and 640rwtq. It was amazing how well the dragradials held that power from a roll. Street tires were useless at anything under about 80mph. :eek:

Later, Steve

PS We definitely need to get together for a trip to Rockingham. Let me know when this might be possible.

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Walser...I passed on the cams because I never really intended this to be a high-boost car. I would say that 99% of the time it will be on pump gas and at or below 20 psi. I didn't want to lose any low end torque... and the kinds of numbers that are being made with stock cams seemed plenty.

Besides... I want to have something to upgrade when I get bored!

Steve... check your e-mail.

Thanks for the kind words! The car is just a blast to drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts