Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fixing my boosting issue on Sunday I decided to take her to a dyno. This is on a conservative tune using a neo safc on stock ecu. 6262 bolt on, ported exhaust manifold, 3 in all the way turbo back exhaust, 2.5 in intercooler piping, [email protected] fipk 18psi 392 whp, 376 wtq. Didn't take pic of dyno, I'm gonna go back soon anyway when I actually tune the car right. The guy told me he'd give me a first run for free so I only ran it once on the dyno. I still have low 10 afrs. My next plan is doing meth injection and bumping up boost to 22-25. Hopefully the bottom end stays in tact!! Lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, running lex afm and 550s. Gonna see how far this setup takes me then move to standalone if I'm not satisfied. with the meth injection I plan to further increase fuel cut by trimming even more fuel and shooting for around 12.5 afrs. Hopefully I can reach about 23psi with that setup and possibly 500rwhp. I'll be happy with that haha. I spoke to a guy around the area who tunes supras a lot and he said I just may be able to push fuel cut that far. Cross your fingers! Lol

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Nah, running lex afm and 550s. Gonna see how far this setup takes me then move to standalone if I'm not satisfied. with the meth injection I plan to further increase fuel cut by trimming even more fuel and shooting for around 12.5 afrs. Hopefully I can reach about 23psi with that setup and possibly 500rwhp. I'll be happy with that haha. I spoke to a guy around the area who tunes supras a lot and he said I just may be able to push fuel cut that far. Cross your fingers! Lol
I've been working on a spreadsheet with everyone's power and mods. Looks like mid 400s whp is plenty do-able on 550/lex/safc. I think getting there is the easy part. The hard part is keeping it reliable once you're there. ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been working on a spreadsheet with everyone's power and mods. Looks like mid 400s whp is plenty do-able on 550/lex/safc. I think getting there is the easy part. The hard part is keeping it reliable once you're there.
Well so far so good. Only real issue I'm having right now is that the valve covers started to leak all of a sudden very badly. Seeing a drop of two every time I go out. This happened after testing out the turbo and doing some more tuning. Gonna take off the covers and put a sealant on with the gaskets. Also I'm assuming that bolt that holds that the heater hose in the back doesn't have an oil channel correct? Seems to be a ton of oil surrounding that bolt that goes into the head all the way in the back

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
Killer #'s sir. How's it feel out on the Street? I'd like to see a dyno graph.. wondering when you're hitting full boost.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Well so far so good. Only real issue I'm having right now is that the valve covers started to leak all of a sudden very badly. Seeing a drop of two every time I go out. This happened after testing out the turbo and doing some more tuning. Gonna take off the covers and put a sealant on with the gaskets. Also I'm assuming that bolt that holds that the heater hose in the back doesn't have an oil channel correct? Seems to be a ton of oil surrounding that bolt that goes into the head all the way in the back
My guess is that's from the valve covers leaking in the back. I have to re-tighten my bolts back there often. A *light* loctite might be a good idea.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you're talking about the big banjo for the heater core lines then no, no oil passages there. It's just a spot that oil likes to collect.

I remember thinking I needed to run a piggy back ECU to make mid 400s, nice to know I could have done it with the Lex/550s. Definitely need to post a dyno graph when you get one

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Full boost comes at 3700. Not that bad since a 57 trim ct I didn't hit full boost till 3300. I spoke to Alec and he didn't hit full boost on his setup till 3500. And he was on e85 and a standalone.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
If you're talking about the big banjo for the heater core lines then no, no oil passages there. It's just a spot that oil likes to collect.

I remember thinking I needed to run a piggy back ECU to make mid 400s, nice to know I could have done it with the Lex/550s. Definitely need to post a dyno graph when you get one
He's talking about fuel trim, so it seems he's running a piggyback of some sort. Which is definitely a good idea with the 550's and Lex AFM.

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
I've been working on a spreadsheet with everyone's power and mods. Looks like mid 400s whp is plenty do-able on 550/lex/safc. I think getting there is the easy part. The hard part is keeping it reliable once you're there. ;)

Honestly speaking from owning a MK3 since 1989 and owning SP since then there is nothing safe about 550 inj and Lex MAF etc because of the timing that you will be running. If you want to avoid all of the 7M notorious issues of BHG, get a standalone!

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Honestly speaking from owning a MK3 since 1989 and owning SP since then there is nothing safe about 550 inj and Lex MAF etc because of the timing that you will be running. If you want to avoid all of the 7M notorious issues of BHG, get a standalone!
Good to know! Any of the standalones stand a chance at passing an emissions sniffer test? I'm lucky now to live in AZ and have the mk3s registerred as collectible (and therefore avoid emissions testing hassles), but if I move back to Colorado I'll have to put them on the rollers to test. I dont' see why you couldn't tune to an eco-friendly level, but I've heard it can be tough.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/QUOTE]
Honestly speaking from owning a MK3 since 1989 and owning SP since then there is nothing safe about 550 inj and Lex MAF etc because of the timing that you will be running. If you want to avoid all of the 7M notorious issues of BHG, get a standalone![/QUOTE]

LOL I will eventually! I'm a college student, it is not easy getting the cash for that!!! lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live just outside of Denver CO (Littleton if you the familiar with the area), and passed emissions with a AEM EMS series 2 second try with a very old CAT just a couple months ago.

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
i beg to differ! my car has been running on a lex afm for 4 years now with prolly 400 passes at the drag strip from 390whp-600+whp. last season i made a easy 100 passes on 564whp at 22psi. i actually dyno'd it after the end the season. car has never been dyno tuned or blown up knock on wood. this year i switched to 750's, a walbro 450, and boosted 26psi so far on 110. only made a handful of passes on that boost cause ive been busy. had one pass that was 11.5 at 117 and my clutch slipped bad after the 1/8 mile when i hit 4th. im dead set on running 10's with the stock ecu. not too shabby if you ask me lol

i think a 7m would be able to just the same might need a built bottom end but it could. definitely a mhg/arp's at the least!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I definitely plan doing before standalone^. built bottom end and instead of running a safc I'll prob end up running the Ecu masters det 3. Looked into it and seemed really really really cool.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Detonation is the killer on this combo. Whatever tuning solution you go with, make sure it has provision for timing control. It needs to be able to pull timing in relation to knock counts. Most piggy back solutions only have a monitor feature that lets you know when detonation occurs or will output knock counts when logging.
Great #'s so far and best of luck continuing on.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
:crazy: 564 through a Lexus afm ?

What are thoughts on taking some base timing out via cps adjustment ?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts