Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I borrowed a friends G-Force ECU with the fuel, timing enhancement, and raised rev limit and did some dyno testing of it on my T78 car. Attached is the dyno chart:

As I noted on the chart, the test was done with 26psi on 118 octane on a Dynojet 248C with SAE corrected output. I first made a few warmup runs with low boost and the G-Force. Made a few small A/F adjustments to keep it around 12.5:1 @ 26psi. Then on the 5th run, I swapped my stock ECU back in and left all settings exactly the same.

EGTs on the G-Force ECU runs were at 800C. Stock ECU peak EGT was at 750C. This is especially interesting when the chart shows the stock ECU actaully running slightly leaner. So the 50+ degrees EGT difference must be due to timing retard from the G-Force.

Also something to keep in mind: The car was getting quite a bit hotter by the 5th run. Someone was measuring the IC heat and noticed ~80F difference from the first pull to the last on the inlet side... and with this, the stock ECU still performed better. Max torque with run 003 with G-Force was 548 and run 005 with Stock ECU was 615.

I hope you all find this information useful.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
OFF TOPIC REMARK #56493

Derek, just want you to know that your car, website, updated pics, and cool videos all make me reach for the nearest Kleenex dispenser!:wackit::wackit::wackit:VERY clean ride, man!

Here's to you:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Derek I know you left before I got a chance to dyno but just to let you know I got 425HP and 437 TQ. Anyways if you are interested in the exhaust or the wheels just email me at [email protected] and I can work something out for you.

Z

·
0 Posts
dont mind me asking, but does your A/f stay the same at 4th and 5th gear?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYRARMS:

I really don't know what to say.... thanks!

Jonas:

Yep, A/F pretty much stay the same in 4th and 5th gear pulls. I verified that about a month back on another dyno.

Also another interesting note that I didn't mention on my first post: I was having quite a bit of spark plug miss on my last 2 trips to the dyno. I regapped my plugs to a tight .026 and the car never missed once on this trip. This is with original coil packs and stock ignition running NGK 1095s. Probably could have made more HP than 686 if I could get the boost back up to before, but my main goal of this trip was just to test the G-Force on a cheap dyno opportunity.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Consider this. The stock ecu has more aggressive timing. Provided that the engine has sufficient octane, the more timing the better. You had too much octane in the motor for the amount of boost you ran. You can run up to 32-33 psi boost on a 70 mm turbo with 112 octane. I would suggest a sunoco 104 unleaded for your set-up with anything under 32 psi. You'll make more power that way becuase you are optimising your combustion.( with G-force) Remember, higher octane fuel burns colder and slower, the added timing in your case was an added benefit and helped the combustion temperature increase therefore increasing horsepower. Which means the 118 was too much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
White Supra said:
Consider this. The stock ecu has more aggressive timing. Provided that the engine has sufficient octane, the more timing the better. You had too much octane in the motor for the amount of boost you ran. You can run up to 32-33 psi boost on a 70 mm turbo with 112 octane. I would suggest a sunoco 104 unleaded for your set-up with anything under 32 psi. You'll make more power that way becuase you are optimising your combustion.( with G-force) Remember, higher octane fuel burns colder and slower, the added timing in your case was an added benefit and helped the combustion temperature increase therefore increasing horsepower. Which means the 118 was too much.
Excellent point indeed. In all fairness, I think some of the HP increase from the ECU swap was due to the ECU resetting back to the default maps. I've always noticed an increase in HP reading at BPU after a ECU reset. And when I was dynoing with the G Force, it hadn't been reset for more than a week with 92 octane use.

I'll keep in mind your octane idea there for next time. I ran the car at 31 psi a few weeks ago and it did make a bit more power but I was hindered by a bit of spark miss. Whenever I go back to a dyno I'll have all my ducks in a row and try to get a better tune on the car with everything I've learned.

Thanks,

·
just an old toyota
128 Posts
very cool runs you had derek. the first run i saw sounded like an m80 exploded when you hit redline. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
vr4eclipse said:
FYRARMS:

I really don't know what to say.... thanks!

Jonas:

Yep, A/F pretty much stay the same in 4th and 5th gear pulls. I verified that about a month back on another dyno.

Also another interesting note that I didn't mention on my first post: I was having quite a bit of spark plug miss on my last 2 trips to the dyno. I regapped my plugs to a tight .026 and the car never missed once on this trip. This is with original coil packs and stock ignition running NGK 1095s. Probably could have made more HP than 686 if I could get the boost back up to before, but my main goal of this trip was just to test the G-Force on a cheap dyno opportunity.
[/QUOTE

I changed out my coil packs and I made a big difference. Coil packs do wear out and are not able to put out a stronger spark, they aren’t cheap but it fixed my missing problem and allowed me to runner a bigger gap on my plugs.

Matthew

M

·
0 Posts
Well I will use this time to once again say my usual, "If it works, use it". The stock ECU and alphabet soup (VPC, GCC, etc.) works better than an aftermarket ECU. I think that the extra cost over something like the AEM is worth the ability to tune on the go. But if the AEM is all it says it is, maybe I will retract this statement. Anyone in Texas going to tune it? I have the laptop w/out the knowledge :(

·
Administrator
17,223 Posts
I'll tell you what Derek...seeing your single turbo in action on the dyno really made me miss my old single turbo beast. Can't wait to re-join the club! ;)

Very impressive, and congratulations again for setting their dyno record! :D

Steve T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts