Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SupraStore.com
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ee.udel.edu/~xuan/auto/DIY-rear spoiler.html

Any thoughts? What are people's opinions of this possibility on a MkIII?

I dont think it would fit as exact as it does on the E36s, but I would really like to get my hands on one and make it fit the MkIII. It seems to be the perfect middle-of-the-road spoiler between the 1 piece pre89 and the 89+ 3 piece. I think it'd look pretty tasteful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I dont know how well it would fit. Did you take any measurements of the width of the deck lid and compare them th the widith if the hatch surface from the supra?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
if its anything like my E30 its a no go, the ass end of the supra is a good 6 inches wider then the e30.
 

·
i <3 supra
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
i doubt it would fit, my friend has an m3 like that and its nowhere near as wide as our cars
 

·
Oldie but a Goodie
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
Also note that even if it was wide enough to reach the fenders... how are you going to open the hatch? All of the bracketry to hold the spoiler on is in the ends. If it was narrow enough to attach to the hatch, it would look like complete ass.
 

·
Acceleration
Joined
·
3,833 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
http://www.ee.udel.edu/~xuan/auto/DIY-rear spoiler.html

Any thoughts? What are people's opinions of this possibility on a MkIII?

I dont think it would fit as exact as it does on the E36s, but I would really like to get my hands on one and make it fit the MkIII. It seems to be the perfect middle-of-the-road spoiler between the 1 piece pre89 and the 89+ 3 piece. I think it'd look pretty tasteful
:wtflol:
 

·
DON'T BLAME ME!!!
Joined
·
826 Posts
Spoiler

It will not fit. :1poke: Guaranteed! My friends, gf, has a Dinan M3, same year, same color (matter of fact!) and the ass end of it is way narrower than our Supra's. Just stay with proven sucess, 3-piece 89+! :bigthumb:
 

·
Savage Member
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
91T "Sun Snail" said:
It will not fit. :1poke: Guaranteed! My friends, gf, has a Dinan M3, same year, same color (matter of fact!) and the ass end of it is way narrower than our Supra's. Just stay with proven sucess, 3-piece 89+! :bigthumb:

**success**

And; who says 3 piece is the best?

It has more wind resistance than the pre 89's.

.34 to .33

Pre89 wing FTW
 

·
SupraStore.com
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhh...it SHOULD have more wind resistance...that style spoiler is obviously meant for downforce (like the 89+) instead of less drag (pre89, which is actually .32)

I assumed it wouldnt fit, but I think its pretty cool. Dont get me wrong, I love the 89+s, but I think one of these would be cool too.

One day I might mess around with the idea more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
Uhh...it SHOULD have more wind resistance...that style spoiler is obviously meant for downforce (like the 89+) instead of less drag (pre89, which is actually .32)

I assumed it wouldnt fit, but I think its pretty cool. Dont get me wrong, I love the 89+s, but I think one of these would be cool too.

One day I might mess around with the idea more
neither of the SPOILERS on the supras are meant to create any downforce whatsoever. they are SPOILERS ..
 

·
SupraStore.com
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try again. Do a search on spoiler drag coefficient in MkIII section, this has been discussed.

Pre89s have a drag coefficient of .32, wingless have .33, 89+ have .34

Technically then the pre89s are spoilers and the 89+ are wings..or at least thats how I think of it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,374 Posts
You can make anything fit. If it is too narrow or long, you can mod it with fiberglass. People do it all the time.

But as other said, I am not sure if it would look that nice. But it's worth a try.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top