Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built one of these with the new E46 M3 Engine?? ANy links or performance shops anybody know of? Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I know there is a shop..just check the e46 forums. I believe it puts down 400 to the ground.

Sam

·
LLOOYYDDD!!!!!!!!!!
340 Posts
Ive got a video of one but I dont know how to post it. I believe active autowerks does alot of forced induction bmw's though. Rather expensive but so are bmw's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Damn wouldn't you need to shell out quite a bit of cash for a whole new bottom end and head gasket to lower compression enough to allow a turbo? Well, a turbo that'll make big power at least.

James

·
LLOOYYDDD!!!!!!!!!!
340 Posts
I think it would be cheaper to build it yourself. I thimk those specialized bmw shops can charge whatever they want. I may be wrong though. Some sleeves, pistons, rods, fuel, big turbo...... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I think that engine holds up terrible to turbocharging. It will work but you'll pay a fortune regularly to keep it running.

·
Banned
12 Posts
cherzra said:
I think that engine holds up terrible to turbocharging. It will work but you'll pay a fortune regularly to keep it running.
definitely not a good candidate for turboing when the stock CR is 11.5:1. bmw tried to get the most out of the S54 (e46 m3 engine code) and also tried to make it reliable at the same time, so it would definitely be a costly rebuild just to make it susceptible to boost..... i think even with 8.5:1 pistons & full engine rebuild for boost, people have still been having problems with the s54 for turboing.

but companies are definitely attacking the engine right now & trying to see what can be done. ICS performance in CT (just got done with a 730 rwhp e36 m3) should be coming out with a turboed e46 m3 soon. i know a company in europe has done it, so time will tell how it works out.....

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
heh, those e46 motors are prone to blow head gaskets, and have other major oiling issues. Kinda reminds me of my mkiii. If u want a turbo e-46 the best way is to swap a e-36 engine and just turbo that. Those e-36 engines ahve been making great power with boost for years now.

~scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
www.dtmpower.net would be the best place to search for info. Supercharging seems to be the weapon of choice on the s54 engine. I'd give my left nut for a supercharged M3 CSL. :drool:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Search for Threads at m3forums.net - theres a guy there among others with a Supercharged E46 M3, Divexxtreme, Check him out.

And the reason why you wouldn't want to do it yourself is because if you take it to a shop your covered by some sort of warranty. Dinan should be coming out with a Supercharger soon too, and that'll come with a Warranty for sure.

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
The only turbo E46 in the country actually putting down consistant numbers is a four door. The OBD that is in the E46 BMW has too many sensors and knock stuff for a turbo. THe E36 M3 motor has OBD1 which is pretty much the most basic ECU you can tune with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Only the 1995 M3 has the good OBD1 ECU that is very receptive to modifications:) Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you making that statement from experience because if you are not then that is one ignorant comment considering BMW engines are considered automotive engineering marvels.

On a more important aspect of my considered project. I will be getting an S54 (E46 M3) engine brand new for free!! So that will lower my costs considerably. I am getting one for free because my dad is building an e46 m3 GTR race car with a M5 PTG race motor in it. But I am thinking about just selling the s54 engine and buying a new E36 motor since they have obd1 computers.
If I use the S54 engine I will build it stronger and with low compression and then just run a suitable supercharger at higher boost loads similar to what I would run on a mild turbo.
Thanks for the interest.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
550orM5 said:
Are you making that statement from experience because if you are not then that is one ignorant comment considering BMW engines are considered automotive engineering marvels.

On a more important aspect of my considered project. I will be getting an S54 (E46 M3) engine brand new for free!! So that will lower my costs considerably. I am getting one for free because my dad is building an e46 m3 GTR race car with a M5 PTG race motor in it. But I am thinking about just selling the s54 engine and buying a new E36 motor since they have obd1 computers.
If I use the S54 engine I will build it stronger and with low compression and then just run a suitable supercharger at higher boost loads similar to what I would run on a mild turbo.
Thanks for the interest.

im speaking from experience... i sold my AA Turbo m3 in order to buy the supra... over 30k in mods and 305rwhp?? ive got alittle more than that into my supra.. and its on the 1000rwhp mark. The turbo m3 was a fun car though, just not worth the money.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts