Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the standard halogen head lamps to the HID's from the new BMW's without burning the wiring harness?
I've heard that the aftermarket kits are not as "intense" as they claim to be. Someone told me that the BMW (I believe HELLA make them) are the best on the market. I would appreciate all responses. Thanks.:)

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
What you heard about quality is untrue.

The aftermarket kits, especially Phoenix Microlite, are as good if not better than the BMW lights.

We carry these kits for $575.

Many supra owners have these on their cars and swear by them.

Brittany

B

·
0 Posts
I've got a set of the PML HID's on my Supra, the light output should be the same as any other HID, they all use the same basic technology. The nice thing about PML is they have a 5-year warranty, also they are very responsive with tech support/questions. I did not have any problems with the stock 15A fuse blowing, although I have heard that some have had to "upgrade" to a higher amperage fuse due to the high momentary current load at initial start-up. The bad point with the PML kit is that the bulb with adaptor does not use an o-ring seal like the stock bulb, so you really should seal the housing some how. The attachment velcro is also too weak to hold the ballast securely, I made up a couple of brackets to hold mine.

Also, my car had a problem with stray beams of light projecting above the light cut line. I solved this by changing to Euro-spec headlamps. You may or may not have this problem.

Bob
97-6-speed

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brittney and Bob, thanks for your responses. Is the PML kit "plug-n-play" or do you have to cut and splice it into the existing harness? If you could clear things up a little more, are you saying the HID blubs DO NOT twist or clamp into place like the stock bulbs? Isn't the ballast a small box (transformer) that mounts close to the bulbs? What do you think of the Philips kit?

Thanks,

James

M

·
0 Posts
Why donot you get the aftermarket one instead of the E46's?
unless you have one, but what i know, for my E46 i owned before is using H7 for lowbeam, and 9006 fog light(4 door).

but mkiv's lowbeam is 9006, so i guess that should not fit? right?
let me know if that works, because i am think about getting HID.
-Ming

B

·
0 Posts
The PML kit is "plug and play". The kit consists of the bulbs, ballasts, and harness adaptors. The ballasts can be placed anywhere you have room, within the cable length, that is. I've seen a few mounted next to the battery and air box, I mounted mine under/behind the headlights where they can't be seen. The "bulbs" are HID capsules that have adaptor rings glued on, they twist in just like the stockers. The capsule/adaptor assembly is strong and accurately made, but the adaptor lacks an o-ring to seal out moisture - look at your current bulbs and you will see what I mean. I "sealed" mine with black electrical tape around the circumference of the bulb holder.

X

·
0 Posts
HID kits

I sell the Phillips kits as well as a "stage II" kit which produces a 6000K light beam vs. the regular 3200K light.

Stage I: $500

Stage II: $700

(email for pics of stage II kit)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't even read this post the title said enough. To ease your mind the e46 uses Phillips Bulbs with bosch ballasts and mercedes use osram sylvania bulbs and ballasts. Osram is the bluest you'll find if you want just a good HID the phillips microlite kit is for you. Check for a post a while back I did about HID lights, lots of great info in there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts