Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my new build and have the GM flex fuel sensor installed. We cannot get a signal out if it. It could be a bad unit. But I was reading that this Digital output might need a pull up resistor. Before I go spend another $400 for a new one, I would like to attempt to see if it does work. Other Flex Sensor installs dont say you need a resistor.
I am using Vipec which has a Dig 5 input for it. But a direct connection on the FFS white wire has '0' signal out reading. We are using the correct meter to read it (PWM).
So it is a faulty unit, or there is something we are missing on making it output.

Our tune w/o this unit is working great. But being stuck in either all E85 or all 92 oct isnt Ideal. Need to get this FFS to work. So if anyone is using one, I would like to hear on the way it is wired into your stand alone.

Stu

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interested in this as well. I mounted my sensor last night and I'm going to tackle the wiring tonight after work. I bought a Zeitronix ECA that I don't think I'm going to use but I might hook it up temporaily to make sure the sensor is working...

·
Stock Twins King
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the tables are premade for the blending. Once the maps are there for both fuels the Vipec does the rest. Have to be carefull on how to install the GM Flex sensor and make sure the specific Em can do the work. I am using the Vipec Dg#5 input as that is already configured for the GM Sensor. Last I heard others are not that way. If that is the case then the ECA is required ($200) that does a readout of what your mixture is and returns that signal to the ECU as a 0-5v *analog* signal.

Also be careful on the position of the GM unit as to tilt and rotation. Also they are specific as to what nipple is "in" and what is "out" since the 2 nipples are of different diameter.

My #s are way off until I have more time to tune. 2-3 hours is WAY to short of time. We barely got the WOT done and the timing needs a lot more work. In the next few weeks we will dial it all in. Good news is the there is a dyno now next door, dont even have to leave the parking lot lol!

Stu

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, the tables are premade for the blending. Once the maps are there for both fuels the Vipec does the rest. Have to be carefull on how to install the GM Flex sensor and make sure the specific Em can do the work. I am using the Vipec Dg#5 input as that is already configured for the GM Sensor. Last I heard others are not that way. If that is the case then the ECA is required ($200) that does a readout of what your mixture is and returns that signal to the ECU as a 0-5v *analog* signal.

Also be careful on the position of the GM unit as to tilt and rotation. Also they are specific as to what nipple is "in" and what is "out" since the 2 nipples are of different diameter.

My #s are way off until I have more time to tune. 2-3 hours is WAY to short of time. We barely got the WOT done and the timing needs a lot more work. In the next few weeks we will dial it all in. Good news is the there is a dyno now next door, dont even have to leave the parking lot lol!

Stu
Is Dg#5 the digital input #5 pin? And I'm not clear on what you mean when you say others are not that way, basically what I'm trying to ask is when will I need the ECA?

Thanks Stu

·
Stock Twins King
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is Dg#5 the digital input #5 pin? And I'm not clear on what you mean when you say others are not that way, basically what I'm trying to ask is when will I need the ECA?

Thanks Stu
AFAIK Vipec is the only stand alone that I know that uses the Digital Inputs specifically (my Pin #5) provided by the GM sensor. AEM and others may not have the ability to accept a Digital input that the GM unit sends out. SO if our stand alone does not have the digital inputs then YES you need an ECA to convert to analog. That sound better?

Stu

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
AFAIK Vipec is the only stand alone that I know that uses the Digital Inputs specifically (my Pin #5) provided by the GM sensor. AEM and others may not have the ability to accept a Digital input that the GM unit sends out. SO if our stand alone does not have the digital inputs then YES you need an ECA to convert to analog. That sound better?

Stu
Yeah thanks for the clarification. So basically as Vipec users we don't need the ECA but other stand alones may need it.

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,728 Posts
am curious as well and also want to know where is best to mount it ? Closer to engine or the pump ?
most guys run it under the hood, on the inner fender well near the brake booster
Im nearing this as well and I'd like to see some pics of where ppl are mounting the sensor if possible..thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts