Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody i wanted to know the PROS VS CONS of running E85 on my completely stock 1992 supra Auto. Im not even sure if i can run E85 safely. i have 137k miles btw

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do it, but not more than 40% E85/Unleaded mixture.
Change injector for 550cc (with stock MAF) on a 7MGTE and 440 on a 7MGE and run 100% E85, but can't roll back to Unleaded.

We have ran E85 for thousands miles here in France with no issue other than filter change and injector cleaning after the few first thousands miles, because ethanol will wash the fuel system.

Rubber cracking is a myth for cars built after 70's/80's: ethanol will clean the gum in the hose, if it's already cracked it will have a leak because dirt won't fill the crack any more. That is the same debate than the one about mineral and synthetic oils on old cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy everything you need the first time around, and have someone experienced with E, tune it. Also, make sure if you're trying to dd it, find all the places around you with it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you plan to daily drive it, get a standalone with an ethanol content analyzer. I see anywhere from 60% to 90% ethanol between different stations year round. My ECU automatically interpolates/extrapolates my ignition timing, AFR's, and boost based on the percentage. I personally think running ethanol on a stock setup is a waste of time and money over just upgrading the turbo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@airhead04: rubber goo was here before E85. The engine compartment fuel hose are rubber and need replacement after years, but that's true, e85 accelerates the "wear"
@Gil_ unneeded at stock power
@kneedragger85: true, if he wants to run some blend. Here in Europe, running ethanol at stock level saves about 30% on fueling costs..

·
Registered
549 Posts
@Gil_ unneeded at stock power
I don't think you know what e85 is, evidently. That's the one that's (supposedly) 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Factory ECU isn't designed for that tune, it'll run lean. Lean is bad, regardless of power level.

·
Registered
905 Posts
@kneedragger85: true, if he wants to run some blend. Here in Europe, running ethanol at stock level saves about 30% on fueling costs..
If you only save 30% on a fill up, then you are still not saving any money with the extra ethanol needed to run proper air/fuel ratios.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Rubber cracking is a myth for cars built after 70's/80's: ethanol will clean the gum in the hose, if it's already cracked it will have a leak because dirt won't fill the crack any more. That is the same debate than the one about mineral and synthetic oils on old cars.
@airhead04: rubber goo was here before E85. The engine compartment fuel hose are rubber and need replacement after years, but that's true, e85 accelerates the "wear"
You are contradicting yourself now....First it cleans the goo, now it accelerates it. Please stop.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry for my English.

Yes Ethanol clean the goo due to decades wearing the rubber.
So yep, you found rubber goo because whatever the fuel used, it cleans the hose. Ethanol clean faster than gasoline. Hence my use of the verb "accelerates".
And well, that's maintenance. Ethanol won't wear a new hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts