Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the early NA and the later NA with VVT? To change an earlier car to VVT, would you just need to swap out the head and the ecu or would there be more?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I don't *think* they changed the head(ports/valves ect). All they changed was the cam on the intake side, adding the variable timing stuff.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toyota specs the VVT engine at about 5hp more than the N/A, but I haven't seen dyno sheets to compare the power bands. Another curiosity is that the Lexus IS300 uses the VVT version of the 2JZ-GE engine and there's a few addtional mods listed for that car that aren't listed for the N/A Supra. Speicifically. . .Toyomoto makes a tubular header that's *supposed* to make an additional 15rwhp. I'm trying to figure out if this thing will fit on a N/A. The only thing I can figure would be if the Exhaust port on the header and the catback don't line up. But if not by much, a little creative pipe bending or fabrication could give the BPU N/A Supra a few more HP.
http://www.toyomoto.com/is300.htm

S

·
0 Posts
95 Dawg said:
The only N/A Supra I've seen with the vvt-i system is a 98... but it could be on more... I'm not sure.

Oh... and as far as I know... its basically a Toyota version of vtech...
VVT-i doesn't have a cam lobe lift function like VTEC does but VTEC doesn't have Infinitely Varible Intake Timing Like VVT-i. VVT-i also works strickly on the intake valves. One step above VTEC would be Toyota's very own VVTL-i, essentially VVT-i with that lift VTEC has. That was the superior version and is available on the Celica only. Honda, though, has come out with the 3 stage lift VTEC with and their adjustabe cam gear - just one thouh - VTECi, and is so far the best in varible valve timing with lift. Toyota's 4L+ V8's are capapble (right now) of producing upwards of 500HP - Have you seen their concept vehicle in the Minority Report or LA auto convention last Jan. I'm sure The next supra will be something special - even better it will be a Toyota not a Lexus

1 - 6 of 6 Posts