Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
supposedly its just as easy as sliding the old ones out, and the new ones in...im not really sure as I havent changed mine yet on my mkiv...but i cant imagine it would be bad at all.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,091 Posts
There is a metal wire clip on the back take it out, pull the pins and remove the metal peice and slind out and then slide in. lol

·
Registered
872 Posts
need to push the piston back first then slide in.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Yes. It will be impossible to squeeze the piston back into the caliper if you don't, and you will need to squeeze it back in order to fit the new pads in, even if it's just a little. Taking the calipers off also gives you more room to work with when changing the pads.

To squeeze the caliper back, a larger Vise-Grip style C-clamp works well, or use a threaded C-clamp. Just go nice and easy, and try not to do it all in one shot, if using the Vise-Grip style. Take care not to dent the piston face. It's not real easy to do, but just a warning.

·
11,221 Posts
I've done this numerous times this month because my brakes are squeeking randomly on and off. I keep cleaning it with Brakleen and reapplying grease.

Assuming you have the car jacked up and wheels removed, etc, etc.

Unbolt the caliper (2 bolts)
Remove all the hardwares that hold the pads on (I dunno the names for it, VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD)
Take new pads and rearrange in order of what you removed (reuse shims, etc)
Regrease the pads

Often I can get the calipers to slide over the rotors fine without anything. But if it won't, take a hammer or something and press on the pistons to push it in (might be easier if the car was on, might not).

·
Very Senior Member
10,058 Posts
do you have to take the caliper off the rotor to push the piston back in and how do you push the piston down ?

thanks
actually, you don'at always have to take the caliper off. Just make sure you use something "soft", like wood, to press on the parts. You can push the pistons back in carefully.
And yes, changing the pads is about the technically easiest thing to replace on the Supra.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
From what I've read, it requires replacing the shims and adding brake grease, which I've never done on other cars.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
:bigok: Cool pics

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
AMke sure you put some grease on the back of the pads. I forgot to grease one for my rear and it always makes a damn squeak. Annoys the crap outta me.

·
11,221 Posts
I changed the pads on my GS today (TT brakes), and it took about 45 minutes for the whole process.

-jacked up car
-removed wheels
-removed brakes
-removed pads
-install pads
-push pistons back in so new pads will fit over rotor
-bolt back calipers
-install wheel
-lower car
-wash hands

Normally I would bleed the system, but I already bleed it back in October, and didn't have the time today.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
True, those pictures are helpful.
But I would not use metal, like a screwdriver, against my rotor and piston. Use a wood piece, or similar.
word. I made sure the end of the screwdriver wasn't pressing against the nicely finished surface of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
AMke sure you put some grease on the back of the pads. I forgot to grease one for my rear and it always makes a damn squeak. Annoys the crap outta me.
Do you have the metal plates installed in the back of the brakepads? You can see them on this pic:

If not, that's your problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts