Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Only 2 ways... the easiest, pay someone else to do it. The other, is to do it yourself.

Gotta remove the tranny. If there's other stuff that can be done as well, it may be worthwhile/easier to pull the engine... If you're doing it yourself.

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
no and no. besides, taking off the oil pan isn't as easy as it sounds. Are you sure its the rear main seal? I ask because an engine oil leak can appear to be dipping right under the clutch area and actually be leaking somewere else and be carried to that location when driving.

Dennis

· KBR
3,523 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am sure the rear main is out. its like its going to the flywheel and then when i stop big puddle on the ground. and im sure i have blow by or turbo seals that are bad not sure. but got on it a little bit. looked back and huge cloud of white smoke covering both lanes and about 20ft high and here comes two cars bustn thru it ooooooooops! :p :69:

· 7m love... dont hate.
2,728 Posts
removing the tranny is the only way. even if you pull the engine you still have to remove the tranny.

you should check out your pcv system too. make sure the small orfice hole in the throttle body is clear. a clogged pcv system will blow out mains.

you loosing any power or coolant? white is usually coolant but can be oil.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i might be loosing a little bit but the smoke was kinda blueish im pretty shure its blow by. but my water is always to the fins on the radiator but the overflow is almost to the top is this right.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i got done taking the trans off:bigthumb: . looks like its good so thats a plus for me that means to bad crank bearings and all that good stuff. so i looked at the oil pan and all the bolts near trans were kinda lose. but was wondering if i could slide the oil pan back and get it out to change the gasket now that the trans is out of the way.

7,440 Posts
I'm almost positive you either have to jack the engine up, or unbolt and slightly drop the subframe, to wiggle the oil pan out...the transmission's placement isn't much of an issue.

Of course, if you get under there and I'm wrong, good for you :D

+1 on the working on your own car thing...labor rates are through the roof these days and working on your own car, especially at such a young age, will put you at a big advantage later on with many things.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well what i did is take the tranny out. easy way i found out is tranny jack +++++++++++ that really helps. my advice is to by one. anyway rear main fine. replaced it any way. the oil pan was leaking really bad. easy way to do that is undo motor mounts and lift it up about 6 inchs to clear pump and wiggle it out. make sure to watch for any hoses and stuff dont pull out. i got lucky every thing was long anof.

· Proud MKIII Owner
4,173 Posts
Congrats!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.