Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
tire killer
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to be changing my oil pump tomorrow due to low oil pressure(4ish psi @ idle). what i was planning on doing was loosen the motor mounts and jack the motor as high as i can. Then see if i can drop the pan down, loosen the feed tube on the pump then the 2 bolts and drop the pump into the pan and slide everything out.

i know how the TSRM says to do it but has anyone done the oil pump like how i am saying? any ideas?

i already shimmed the pump for those who are wondering.

thanks
shane

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
supraboostin said:
the easiest way is to remove the motor
Werd.
I really don't know if you can jack the motor high enough to get the pump out.

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
Ur options are remove motor (can be done 2hrs or less avergage 3 to 4) or drop the subframe ( prolly about 4 hrs for that) i dont think u can jack it up high enough

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
You're better off pulling the motor for this one, trust these guys. I can pull a motor in way less than two hours at this point (ask me how many times I've done it.....).

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
need new tires said:
i am going to be changing my oil pump tomorrow due to low oil pressure(4ish psi @ idle). thanks
shane

I hope you know that 4psi is within tsrm specs.

·
tire killer
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess i should have said that i will be doing this in my school lab and i will only have 8 hours period. if it was an n/a i would just yank out the motor since i have done it before but i really dont want to mess with it if i dont have to. i will check if i can jack the engine up, if i cant then i will just do this at my shop and take my sweet time on it.

i had just hoped my method would have been succesfully done. owell i guess i will find out in about 13 hours :)

i will give an update tommorow after class.

-shane
87t

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Plus, if you've shimmed the oil pump with no luck, you probally have bearing issues.

·
tire killer
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for the 4psi this is a new motor/turbo with 4k on it. so i really would like to have mid 20's @ idle.

+ 4 psi is at the bottom of the allowed range

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
shimming the pump is only going to raise your max pressure when cold. Won't do anything at idle.

I've replaced the pump on a 5m/mk2 by jacking up the engine. It's a total PITA to get all the fipg to break like that, since you can't get all the way around the engine. You really end up bending the pan quite a bit as you have to pry the shit out of it. It's also a PITA to clean off the remainder. You're better off just pulling the motor.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
pull the tranny and motor together if you dont like getting the bolts around the back of the head...

it takes me roughly 30 minutes to an hour to pull the motor out, and thats with an auto.. of course this is with out intercooler pipes on...

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I've pulled the engine in an hour or so... a turbo engine. That'd definatly the way I would recommend doing it...

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Anothering thing to do to raise pressure is get rid of the factory oil cooling system, eliminate the factory oil filter adapter, and run a oil thermostat and remote filter.. =)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I didnt even read everyone elses posts. From personal experience in doing it both with the engine in and out of the car I say remove the damn thing. It much less painless. I can have engine out in about 4 hours max.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I hope you haven't tried doing this by just jacking the engine up, I have helped a friend try to do it that way, it didn't work out. Just pull the thing ans listen to everyone else that says pull it. If you don't dick around 8 hours should be plenty if you have a decent idea of what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
wusaint36 said:
I didnt even read everyone elses posts. From personal ... I say remove the damn thing. It much less painless. I can have engine out in about 4 hours max.
I think you mean much less painful, or more painless.
Just building up my post count.... :rockon:

·
Super Moderator
10,180 Posts
You've gotta forgive us Rajunz, as 7M kids we're so damned used to pulling engines we could practically do it with our eyes closed.. hell, that'd be a fun theme for a MK3 meet, is to have a blindfolded 7M-pulling competition!

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
Rajunz said:
No way guys, removing the sub frame is alot easier than removing the motor and tranny...............................

Here's pics from Polobai's CarDomain.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/756729/5

no shit 6 bolts compared to pulling motor any day

you cna use cherry picker or brace the motor wiht bar across you strut tower man i cna nto think of the name of ti right nwo for some dumb reson

1 - 20 of 23 Posts