Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
So, I’ve received a few requests to post more “beauty” pics of the car, which places me in a spot because I really do not have any. As I noted at the outset, some of the pics I posted stem from 2007 and I guess you can say that, in addition to my traditional disinclination and inability to take decent pics of my cars, until the “Curse” was lifted, I was never in a mood to take beauty pics.

All that said, after spending some time scouring SF trying to accommodate, I remembered that my good friend, Dave Tanner (@DaveT on SF) had taken a few pics of Eau Rouge at SIV2018. Those who know Dave knows he is fantastic behind the lense, and his pics of various SIV events over the years are a true testament to his ability and a significant contribution to the Supra community. Below are a few pics that Dave took of Eau Rouge at SIV2018:

https://flic.kr/p/PimP5b https://flic.kr/p/2a3CrkV https://flic.kr/p/2bt8ZLn https://flic.kr/p/2ansFNs https://flic.kr/p/2bt8ZJt

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,688 Posts
She's hot. I love those seats. You definitely need to take more pics of the interior. Looks awesome Ken....actually more of the entire car.

Steve

·
Kappa Check 1 2
775 Posts
Awesome shots! Interior looks great!

That first picture is the money maker. That, along with a couple more of those photos are going right to my wallpaper slideshow folder, thanks for sharing!

-Rich

·
Registered
701 Posts
Alwyas loved this car Ken! Love the build update!! Got me through this WFH business because of COVID

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
She's hot. I love those seats. You definitely need to take more pics of the interior. Looks awesome Ken....actually more of the entire car.

Steve
Awesome shots! Interior looks great!

That first picture is the money maker. That, along with a couple more of those photos are going right to my wallpaper slideshow folder, thanks for sharing!

-Rich
Thanks, guys. DaveT is magic behind the camera. I plan to fly him to Cali from AZ at some point to take pics of all my cars once this COVID-19 nastiness is well behind us. Eau Rouge will be first up whenever we are be able to make that happen.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Alwyas loved this car Ken! Love the build update!! Got me through this WFH business because of COVID
Thanks, my friend. I'm happy this thread, in addition to showing others how to avoid my mistakes, helped you get through at least of one of your days and took your mind off that COVID-19 shadow hanging over all of our heads.

Stay safe.

Ken.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow. Simply beautiful. Impeccable. As always, a treat to read.

Best regards, Rishi.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I miss reading OG stuff like this!

Ken, you have a handful of the best Supra examples around period.

Roger.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Wow. Simply beautiful. Impeccable. As always, a treat to read.

Best regards, Rishi
Thanks, Rishi. But for COVID-19, we would have taken care of your first ride in an APU car. Will be a good way to celebrate the return of normalcy when it happens.

Glad to see you back on the board more consistently these days.

“KenHenderson” - a very respectful name of the SF community! Well done on the build Sir. Thanks for the share.
silver, I appreciate the kind sentiments and for you plowing through all the gory details.

I miss reading OG stuff like this!

Ken, you have a handful of the best Supra examples around period.

Roger.
Hey, my friend. This is OG stuff for an OG. Since no one says the word "QUALITY" like you do :), that compliment regarding my cars has special meaning to me. Very glad to have Eau Rouge back to her old self. Took a while to get there, but you know how much it means to me to be in a "get in and drive mode" for all my cars. Many thanks for the kind words.

Ken.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
That was old-school to4r.com type of build thread @KenHenderson . Thanks for pointing me to your build threads. This has been very informative to read. I’m also fond of all the memories of spending hours and hours reading such build threads back in the days.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
That was old-school to4r.com type of build thread @KenHenderson . Thanks for pointing me to your build threads. This has been very informative to read. I’m also fond of all the memories of spending hours and hours reading such build threads back in the days.
Thanks for the kind words, Olivier. It's great to have you back. Please don't be a stranger.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Just before COVID-19 really kicked in to high gear, I pulled Eau Rouge out of the garage to take her for a drive. As I got fully into my driveway, I heard my power steering pump moaning like a cat in heat. I checked the reservoir and it was a bit low, so I topped it off. The moaning stopped and I was good to go, or so I thought. I checked for leaks for several days but everything appeared to be dry as a bone.

Finally, I took the car back to storage and, as I was getting ready to pull down the door, I noticed fluid drops that had the same arc as was necessary to turn correctly into the storage unit. Not wanting to take the chance of driving the car 45-miles to SP Engineering without incident, I had the car hauled down there so we could put it on a lift to see what was really going on.

With the car on the rack and the steering wheel turning back and forth, the seal in the steering rack puked a bunch of fluid. Now, usually Toyota racks last 200k miles if they last one mile. My car has 61,xxx chassis miles but, after some digging, we determined that, with all the in and out motor installations, the rack was improperly bled, possibly more than once. I was initially going to have the rack rebuilt but, ultimately opted for a new rack from Elmhurst which I believe was one of Allen's last transactions. I also went through with the rebuild to ensure I had another rack ready to go if the need ever arises.

For those having motor work on your cars that involves removal and installation, make sure you properly bleed your steering rack so you can avoid what happened to me. She's all buttoned up now. Just have to check my alignment and re-center my steering wheel.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,688 Posts
Nice, Ken. I am so anal now that I just leave the rack and a/c stuff intact when/if I pull the motor. I built a shelf to put those items on back in 2015 when I built the motor and painted the engine bay as I don't want to risk anything happening to the 27 year old systems. Glad you got her back to 100% health.

Off topic, but is that your oil filter relocate near the rack?

Steve

·
Old School
4,107 Posts
I’ve been gone so long I had no idea Ken was going through such heartache with his red beast. Fortunately it all comes to a happy ending which leaves me thinking there’s no more appropriate place for me to reacquaint myself with SF than a Ken Henderson thread. Glad it has all worked out for you my friend and very pleased that you and Alex have found your way back to working with each other.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Dear lord, i hope you didn't go bald after all the hair pulling you must have done during this long journey. Glad to see you are finally enjoying the car!

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I’ve been gone so long I had no idea Ken was going through such heartache with his red beast. Fortunately it all comes to a happy ending which leaves me thinking there’s no more appropriate place for me to reacquaint myself with SF than a Ken Henderson thread. Glad it has all worked out for you my friend and very pleased that you and Alex have found your way back to working with each other.
Sorry for the delay, but it's great to hear from you, my brother. Hope that you and Rose are safe and healthy.

Appreciate the kind words regarding this thread. I hope it serves its intended purpose. She's driving better than ever, even though COVID-19 has severely limited my regular driving routines.. Hope all is well with your red beauty.
Dear lord, i hope you didn't go bald after all the hair pulling you must have done during this long journey. Glad to see you are finally enjoying the car!
Olav, for a good while, I thought it would come to that but, fortunately, a happy ending eventuated. Just "get in and drive", the best place to be as a Supra owner.

Ken.

Reactions: Mr.Gill

·
Old School
4,107 Posts
Sorry for the delay, but it's great to hear from you, my brother. Hope that you and Rose are safe and healthy.

Appreciate the kind words regarding this thread. I hope it serves its intended purpose. She's driving better than ever, even though COVID-19 has severely limited my regular driving routines.. Hope all is well with your red beauty.

Ken.
Unusual times but Rose and I are making the best of them, I'm sure the same is true of you and Cecelia.

As a wise man once told me, we'd never sell these cars if we just drove them more often. So true. Life & work kept me out of the driver's seat for the better part of three years. Forgot how much I enjoyed driving her, so I now make it a point to drive her out to work a few days a week and at least one aimless drive on the weekends time permitting.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
How do you make a simple battery change into a project? Well, have no fear, Henderson is here. You know, when it comes to my cars and me, I usually find a way to make the simple more difficult and the difficult damn near impossible, or so it seems. At the end of the day, I’m hoping you guys and gals can benefit from my faulty worst-case scenario analysis and avoid some of the speed bumps I’ve encountered.

This all started when I carelessly left the door ajar when I took Eau Rouge back to storage and picked up another vehicle. By the time I returned about a week later, my Braille B3121C battery had completely discharged and would not take a charge. So, the obvious solution was to get a replacement battery, only to find out, at the time I inquired, that Braille batteries of all types and stripes had already been on National Backorder for a bit over 2-months (now more than 3 months with no end in sight).

The “easy” solution was to get another battery and move on with my life. Hey, but not so fast. I originally installed the Braille battery and its optional lay-down kit back in 2010/2011. Weighing only 21-pounds and significantly smaller than OEM batteries, I used some of the real estate taken up by the OEM battery, thinking I would never need it again. Boy, was I wrong.

Because covid……I never thought I would be faced with the inability to secure a replacement Braille battery. To make matters worse, my decision to revert back to an OEM-style battery arrangement was severely challenged by the lack of room (more on this in a bit) and the discontinuation of the OEM positive battery terminal. I discovered this when I ordered a new battery tray, new terminals and associated parts. Supposedly in stock at a Florida Toyota dealership, it took more than a week for them to determine the positive battery cable/terminal had been discontinued. By that time, I had already moved on as further described below.

To better explain, here are some “before” pics of the engine compartment with the Braille battery installed, which show my problem better than words can convey:

https://flic.kr/p/2ansFNs
My BOV problem:
https://flic.kr/p/2bt8ZJt
This pic shows the PHR 250 amp fuse box that comes with its 170/130 amp alternator I have in the car:

As you can see, with the BOV on one side and the radiator overflow on the other, I needed to find an appropriately powerful battery of the right size, solve my positive battery cable/terminal problem and overcome the Braille’s reverse polarity set-up at the same time.

After fussing around for a few days trying to come up with a solution, I did what I should have done in the first place….call Jose Valle of Kaizen Motorsports. Those who have seen his custom wiring harnesses, or been the beneficiary of his work, know that among all the facets of his Supra expertise, his wiring work is truly next level.

Before I could even fully describe the problem as I saw it, Jose told me, “I can fix it”. Two days later, I had the car hauled to Jose and he went to work:

Some very cool labeling:

So, the pandemic wreaked havoc on the batteries of several of my cars, even without the mistake I made on Eau Rouge with the door ajar scenario. Because the cars went virtually undriven for a year plus, and the batteries completely discharged as a result, the 8-year old battery in Bella, the 7-year old battery in Bauxite and the 6-year old battery in Crimson Tide all gave up the ghost (my storage facility won’t let me use a tender).

Rather than go exotic, and to save money, I replaced them with typical Duralast Gold/Exide offerings with stout warranties. The Duralast I installed in Bauxite is 35 DLG size, to allow for the radiator overflow and wiper fluid container to the right of it and the FMIC piping to the left of it. I mention this because a lead-acid battery, with sufficient CCAs for my needs, was my only realistic hope of avoiding an interminable wait for a replacement Braille battery.

With all that said, there was no guarantee of success with my BOV being in the way. Jose and I batted around several fitment scenarios without success. In the end, though, a relocation of the PHR 250-amp fuse box, a relocation of the radiator overflow, re-employing the already trimmed OEM battery tray completed when my Braille battery was initially installed and partial relocation of my Blitz stainless steel air filter accomplished my “interim” goals until I can devise a permanent solution. I placed the word interim in quotes because I am, more or less, getting used to this set-up and may leave it as is.

The results of Jose’s handicraft are shown below:

The terminals are OEM Toyota. I believe the positive terminal is from a mid-2000s Corolla (Jose is a genius at interchangeable OEM Toyota parts). As part of the wiring effort, Jose used 2-gauge wiring, upgraded my fuse holders and ensured all of the wiring installed was of auto grade (with insulation rated at 105 C or higher).

After confirming the physical dimensions of my battery in Bauxite, Jose purchased an OEM replacement battery from Toyota called Precision Parts Batteries. These batteries are sold by Autonation Toyota dealerships (and maybe others) that have a no questions asked return policy. The dealership takes your info, including your VIN, so the customer can replace the battery with a new one at any Autonation Toyota dealership if something untoward were to happen with the battery originally purchased. The best part is this battery has 700 CCAs and the car turns over like never before.

As you can probably guess, the moral of this story boys and girls is to learn from my mistakes. Sometimes (many times, actually), the OEM way is the best way, especially since the youngest USDM are Supras 23-years old. While every business has experienced supply chain interruptions during the pandemic, I’ll take my chances with the largest automobile manufacturer in the world rather than other entities whose size, scale and supply chain management cannot begin to approach Toyota’s.

Ken.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts