Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
So I'm going to be going to single turbo on my NA and (if I can help it) didnt plan on swapping the head- or anything for that matter other than what needed to be. Was going to do a side intake manifold however most of the eBay ones look like they bolt to the lower intake runners. Since I have a GE will these intakes bolt to my lower intake runners? And if not, is there a side mount intake that uses the GE head and therefor will bolt to the lower intake runners? The link below is what I mean. I kind of wanted to keep it as a budget build as well. Paying for a $700+ intake when a $350 one will do isn't in the cards for me.

My plan was:
Side mount intake
6266 turbo
fuel rails
800-1000cc injectors
cast exhaust manifold
FMIC

·
Registered
299 Posts
It won't bolt up
And problem is if it did (if you had a gte head) you would need to weld it to the lower runners bolting it on will just leak and suck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is swapping a GTE head on the only option if I want to go side intake manifold? Or maybe the stock GTE intake/throttle body set up?

·
From the land down under
4,256 Posts
There are a few options on that auction site that you arent allowed to post links to.

There are plenty of threads on here in the NA sub forum about FFIM's

·
Registered
524 Posts
i bolted mine on, doesnt leak or suck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i bolted mine on, doesnt leak or suck.

Probably the first eBay intake manifold review that I have seen this response to it. Most comment that the gasket does not work as well as the greddy part it is modeled after and leaks.

Not saying it sucks once it seals, but a leaky intake manifold would suck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Probably the first eBay intake manifold review that I have seen this response to it. Most comment that the gasket does not work as well as the greddy part it is modeled after and leaks.

Not saying it sucks once it seals, but a leaky intake manifold would suck.
oh its not an ebay one, i built it myself from scratch out of mild steel, used gasket paper and gasket goo stuff in between

·
Registered
299 Posts
oh its not an ebay one, i built it myself from scratch out of mild steel, used gasket paper and gasket goo stuff in between
Oh haha...
it just seems to be the common review of the ebay ones when i was looking for a cheap manifold for my build

·
Super Moderator
10,161 Posts
There's a lot of Ebay options for an FFIM. Just be sure you're searching for one for a 2JZ-GE specifically. Be aware of brake booster clearance and be mindful that a lot of additional work will often be needed. Welding the plenum to the lower runners is a good idea. At the very least, find someone with a table sander that can at least attempt to true up the mating surface so it has a chance of sealing with a gasket and RTV/FIPG in between. Personally I'd go welded.
Contrary to popular belief, there's plenty of advantages to an FFIM for peak HP and response via shorter IC piping, even at relatively low HP levels. Given your turbo setup and injectors, you'll definitely see an advantage starting around ~450whp. Naturally, the only way to prove that would be to swap between setups and do before-and-after testing, but having dealt with countless old school NA-T setups and 7M-GTE's with stock intake manifold, you'll never go wrong in finally getting rid of it for an FFIM.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you Wreckless. After thinking about it, I would definitely just have it welded. Cheap and makes sense. I have searched for GE ones and I've found maybe 2 and both are $650+ so honestly, Ill probably just buy the cheaper GTE one and have it welded. The runners may be off slightly but I'm only going for 450-500rwhp tops anyways. Forced air will force it down the runners regardless.

·
Super Moderator
10,161 Posts
Thank you Wreckless. After thinking about it, I would definitely just have it welded. Cheap and makes sense. I have searched for GE ones and I've found maybe 2 and both are $650+ so honestly, Ill probably just buy the cheaper GTE one and have it welded. The runners may be off slightly but I'm only going for 450-500rwhp tops anyways. Forced air will force it down the runners regardless.
That is a bad idea. The port spacing is very different between the GE and GTE so you are going to be blocking off significant portions of the runner inlets, especially on cylinder 1 and 6, or cylinder 1,2,3 depending on how you choose to mount it and how that particular ebay manifold lines up. The result is very likely to be worse than keeping the factory GE manifold, particularly in cyl to cyl consistency. 'Forced air will force it down the runners regardless' only goes so far, and when you've got ports that are unevenly blocked off, you WILL have drastic cyl to cyl inconsistencies.

At the very least, please have a custom plate made to match up to the GE's lower runners and have that welded to the plenum you use instead of the GTE-spaced midplate.

-I accidentally clicked 'edit post' instead of 'reply to post'. I didn't actually edit anything you said :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gotcha. I was assuming they weren't THAT far off but I understand. I custom plate won't be that hard to have a machine shop fabricate so ill probably do that. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
299 Posts
At a machine shop your going to pay a minimum of what 70-80 an hour for design and cutting the plate?

Just buy the one that fits up nicely and chalk it up to the cost of building a car and how a budget will always be doubled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts