Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 4" intercooler and it looks great!!!
I had to do a few things to make it work without hitting the a/c condensor, but it was as simple as moving the IC forward with a bracket.

Anyways, a friend of mine works at a mandrel bending fab. shop. He came over and took measurements and made piping for me.
However, I was shocked at the price, it was more than the ic. I had it made out of aluminum. He told me that aluminum is very expensive when it comes to metal, but having a one-off set that is bent on a 250k machine wasn't going to be the most cost effective way to approach this.
I guess I was so happy with the price of the IC, I forgot it came from overseas where labor/materials are different prices.

Still cheaper than a Greddy Kit...almost.

Wings

·
Registered
590 Posts
yeah i found that looking at getting custom piping made up for I/C ..
but u should still come out way ahead of the greddy I/C though??

·
Registered
153 Posts
did you get the ebay intercooler with a straight flange? Also, does it run through the fender? I am going to have to get one fab'ed that goes through the fender to the intercooler.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You do know someone sells the full kit with piping and relocation brackets and everything for $780 right?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
supdawg2u said:
did you get the ebay intercooler with a straight flange? Also, does it run through the fender? I am going to have to get one fab'ed that goes through the fender to the intercooler.
MDoe8 said:
You do know someone sells the full kit with piping and relocation brackets and everything for $780 right?
The ic I bought was from the 780.00 kit. He was local to me and told me that all the ICs more/less came from the guy that sells them on Ebay.

I'm definitely in for saving a few dollars, but the brackets and all the supporting hardware I received were Home Depot Style. With a little muscle I could bend them by hand. I can't see these holding up on the freeway at 100mph in the short or long term.

The way the brackets were fitted weren't that great either so I decided to make my own brackets and mounting plates out of thick walled aluminum. I seriously don't want to take the front end off a second time.

My intercooler piping doesn't go through the fender. It's a tight fit, but it goes straight down from the twin turbo v-pipe and makes a U into the ic.
This way there's less pressure drop.

I'll take some pics. of my custom brackets etc. for you guys.

Wings

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
thanks... what was your final total?

and the guy that sells all the kit for $780 uses piece of shit mild steel piping :)

·
MKIV owner since 1996
2,869 Posts
I bought the ebay 3" intercooler piping and just cut them with a chop saw, it worked out excellent, I have all polished 3" pipes with couplers for under $120.00!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supradedupra said:
thanks... what was your final total?

and the guy that sells all the kit for $780 uses piece of shit mild steel piping :)
With all new hoses, t-bolt clamps, polished aluminum piping with beads machined on the end of each pipe, brackets and mounting plate and new power steering cooler that I mounted in the driver side front vent, I'm still under 1000.00.

AdamGamz said:
I bought the ebay 3" intercooler piping and just cut them with a chop saw, it worked out excellent, I have all polished 3" pipes with couplers for under $120.00!!

A friend of mine advised me not to purchase the aluminum piping from Ebay, for some reason, he had difficulty welding a set that a customer brought in.
I used good quality 6061 and 5052 aluminum for all of the piping and brackets.
But since you got it working, way to go and more power to you!!! :bigthumb:

In a way, you do get what you pay for, but finding deals is where it's at. :bigthumb:

My other cars have run Spearco intercoolers and I've compared the difference and there is a difference.
The Spearco cores have more fin count per inch and they are are louvered fin passages on each fin. Obviously there's more material and machining involved. However, when I put the Ebay cooler next to my friends Blitz front mount, they pretty much look the same as far as the core is concerned.

The larger fin/louvered count will translate into more cooling, however it also translates into more pressure drop. The Ebay coolers having less fin count will allow air to flow through the ambient side a bit easier, which will translate to less overheating problems. In any case, there are trade offs between the two designs and the key to finding which IC is right for you is based on what your doing with your car. I drive in traffic and mostly freeways. My Spearco IC didn't allow as much air to flow through and my engine would once in a while get warmer than usual. I imagine that on a road race corse, it would just plain overheat. I chose the Ebay core based on design and luckily a great price. However, I just can't get my self to use the Home Depot style solution to mounting everything and using steel for piping. Hey, I'm cheap, but not that cheap :)

The mounting plate is fairly simple and the brackets are simple as well. I'll take some detailed pics. and maybe some of you guys may want to use it as a templet if you like it.

Wings

·
Registered
175 Posts
MDoe8 said:
..no i don't?
Really? I sent it on the 21st. Anyway, it's resent.

Wings said:
I'll take some detailed pics. and maybe some of you guys may want to use it as a templet if you like it.
That would sure save me time trying to hold up the core and take measurements in order to fab up my own brackets. Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
horsepower freaks intercooler piping will bolt right up to this intercooler... Did an install of one last week, and happen to have a ebay intercooler right beside it. They look, measure, and mount exactly the same no difference.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xskaboomx said:
Really? I sent it on the 21st. Anyway, it's resent.

That would sure save me time trying to hold up the core and take measurements in order to fab up my own brackets. Thanks!
Fabbing the brackets isn't hard, holding the IC in place "accurately" can be somewhat difficult at times.
I went with the expensive way just because I didn't want to have any problems with cheap Home Depot brackets. This intercooler weighs almost 25lbs. and those Home Depot brackets aren't too stout. When you add the fact that the added wind force from driving into the equation, it just doesn't make sense IMO.

Maybe I should just make a couple of extra copies in case you guys need it.
I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

Wings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts