Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
before anybody notices that the wastegate flange isnt welded all the way around, this is just a mockup pick to get the wastegat in the most optimal position. innovative huh? lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Way to be a bunch of cheap asses!!!!

Thanks for supporting the outright theft of parts developed by real tuners who spend time and money on developing parts; It is people like you that is killing the sport compact market, killing our shops, and that are putting the real innovators out of the supra market, and out of business.

All because you are cheap as hell, and take no pride in your POS cars.

:ban:
You do realize well known, and REPUTABLE shops (SF sponsors) are using these as a cost saving measure for those people who don't want to pay (and shouldn't) 1000-2000 for an exhaust manifold. They go over them, remove slag, add bracing and add minimal cost to the price of the manifold to be included in a budget kit. You need to step off of your high horse. It's a Supra, not a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. The price markup on the parts for our cars is RIDICULOUS! 2K+ for a fuel system?!?!? Looking at the parts, there is about 1K in profit in those kits when all is said and done. I do not condone the practice of imitation Tial, HKS, etc parts but a manifold is a different topic altogether. If you want to pay 1500 for a manifold, that's YOUR business and money spent. If we want to spend a couple hundred, that's our decision to make and we don't need nor deserve your snide remarks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
or, bluesteel, maybe is was a ringland off the top of one of your pistons. or the bottom of a valve guide. or maybe you just have a crappy turbo. who knows, but i doubt you found the piece of slag you claim did it. i wondered if youd catch the genius thing, im proud of you, as far as credentials go, what are yours?

·
Registered
591 Posts
You are using an ebay manifold? Your wheels will fall of at 88mph and the car will burst into flames may god have mercy on your soul!

I used one 3 years ago for about 2k miles. Cleaned the slag up, trued up the flange and it worked fine. I eventually switch out to a boost logic because I upgraded from a pt67 to a pt74gts and it would not clear #1 runner. Infact that same manifold is going onto a buddies 2jzgte cressida this winter.

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
I have a reworked, rewelded, braced, slag removed manifold and Im making well over 700hp and up to 35lbs of boost on it..........No problems at all and its been over a year now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You do realize well known, and REPUTABLE shops (SF sponsors) are using these as a cost saving measure for those people who don't want to pay (and shouldn't) 1000-2000 for an exhaust manifold. They go over them, remove slag, add bracing and add minimal cost to the price of the manifold to be included in a budget kit. You need to step off of your high horse. It's a Supra, not a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. The price markup on the parts for our cars is RIDICULOUS! 2K+ for a fuel system?!?!? Looking at the parts, there is about 1K in profit in those kits when all is said and done. I do not condone the practice of imitation Tial, HKS, etc parts but a manifold is a different topic altogether. If you want to pay 1500 for a manifold, that's YOUR business and money spent. If we want to spend a couple hundred, that's our decision to make and we don't need nor deserve your snide remarks.
i agree totally the markupsare outrageous on some of these parts. i however do put the supra in the same class as "super"cars but disagree with the outrageous markups the supercars pay as well. yrs ago i was shopping for a customer of mine looking into porsche upgrades, 10k for ecu and exhaust/intake upgrades? i was like WTF???

i have went thru 3 different turbo failures on my car related to slag issues on a name brand $1500 manifold purchased from brand name company. i do have the slag that caused the first one as it was on start up of the new turbo kit install and heard it go down the downpipe. 1 phone call later and 24hrs later i had a brand new turbo from brand name company. after the third failure brand name company replaced the manifold free of charge and covered shipping. point being you wont get this service from that ebay company guarandamnteed! and that service justifies a premium. the premium charged is questionable at times but you also need to factor in the amount of cars that these parts will be actually sold too. the quantity manufactured greatly affects pricing. again not sticking up for the high prices just explaining my view. i am the first to cruise ebay and other sites in search of cheaper ways of getting my fix for more power. and when i purchased my fuel system i bought it piece by piece in an effort to conserve as i felt the 2k was overpriced as well.....................

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
The markups on manifolds made in the US are nowhere near as much as you'd think. It costs a lot to build turbo manifolds in this country.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
ill agree that r&d costs alot on the first set but once the high end companies have that done and their jigs built and robots programmed cost of materials is minimal, especially in asia. i bought a set of big block chevy header for $160, had a buddy of mine cut these flanges with a laser @ his work, and paid $60 for a set of vband flanges and clamps(not shown) and built these headers for an lt1 camaro to get the shown turbo on the car. painted with high temp paint. worked great.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
They also use some sub par materials, it costs us $7-800 in materials alone to build a turbo header. That's a basic manifold.:dunno:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
well, just sayin, the camaro headers were 16ga mild steel. $220 home built. with the initial premium for the bigblock headers. but i do agree. materials are high anymore

·
Registered
346 Posts
Never run these on a supra but on my 2.7t S4 I rand the ss autochrome manifolds ($300 vs $2800) and cleaned them up, braced them, and put on over 35k with no issues or cracks. I think the horror stories come from people that don't bother to check the manifold over as an extra quality control.

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
If you're talking to me, quite honestly no I can't. If you're buying ebay parts for your supra you probably can't afford to be modifying your car, I mean really afford it. btw a BL manifold is $1500 on their site.
if by REALLY afford it you mean spending senseless money than no - most cannot afford it. Having done this dance on my Audi, I can tell you that some stuff is just NOT worth the price, when downpipes on a 2.7TT audi cost 3k$ you REALLY have to consider is it worth 2700$ more than the autochrome SS stuff... the short answer is no.

There is definitely a tax associated with owning a supra and modifying it. Parts seem to be a good 30-50% higher than they need to be, but some of this is due to lower quantity and that quantity is getting lower every year.

A manifold is one of those things that net net I think will provide minimal gains, and there is enough history and experience on this board alone to state that the ebay or autochrome chinese products seem to hold up pretty well on our cars.

Now the truth is if you are buying a KIT, the SP budget kit doesn't save you a WHOLE lot of money, it saves you 700$ over their next step up kit - my personal opinion is that it's worth having a brand name support for that difference, but on a manifold alone where the difference in price is 1100-1500$ if you are piecing together your own kit - it's harder to justify...

I appreciate what you are saying but think it's a fair bit conceited to say that because someone wants to save money they can't afford to do it right... i CAN afford it and STILL have a hard time justifying spending the money, because chances are pretty good that the 300$ header would work fine.

just my .02

·
Registered
334 Posts
Very well stated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
at times i wish i could afford the eally high end stuff just so i can pop my hood and have the rest look at everything and go daaaamn u got that 4k header baaaaalllin! but i dont have it like that so i have to ball on a budget.

to u guys that can afford it i wont say ur stupid for it i will say daaaaaamn u got that 4k header baaaaallin :)

41 - 60 of 156 Posts