Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
MKIV owner since 1996
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just boosted my HKS wastegate clone once, It sounded like I was running an open exhaust, so I got under the car, sure enough the damn wastegate opened but wont close! I've read about the guy with the dragged out pickup truck (2JZGTE) having this problem too, is there a fix? I guess I gotta buy a REAL HKS wastegate, anyone got one.

BTW I'm running Ebay intercooler, manifold, and BOV.. as well as EBAY 3" IC pipes. with a PTE 76mm turbo, meth and N20.. going for bg #'s on Ebay stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
You shuold put an eBay emblem on the back rather then Toyota. Just get the real wastegate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Ascari_2 said:
You shuold put an eBay emblem on the back rather then Toyota. Just get the real wastegate.
he is trying out new things, the ebay manifold is good in quality as any of the big companies so don't go jump all over him for that.

Adam, that's weird man, I have a friend running it with no problems, my car should be ready really soon hopefully mine doesn't do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
I was being a bit sarcastic. Just with all the talk about their turbos falling apart I'd be a little worried about anything that's from ebay that is actually mechanical. Hope you get it fixed but I personally would probably run something that was manufactured by a known manufacturer.
 

·
MKIV owner since 1996
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running the boostlogic PTE76 I have a brand new EBAY turbo on my shelf at home, 70mm turbo with a .81 exhaust
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Ascari_2 said:
I was being a bit sarcastic. Just with all the talk about their turbos falling apart I'd be a little worried about anything that's from ebay that is actually mechanical. Hope you get it fixed but I personally would probably run something that was manufactured by a known manufacturer.
I wouldn't trust the turbos thats for sure, but the manifolds are actually very nicely made (after a few tweaks of course).
 

·
MKIV owner since 1996
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ascari_2 said:
You shuold put an eBay emblem on the back rather then Toyota. Just get the real wastegate.

Dont get so hung up on Greedy and other name brands man, I used to own a dynojet center / performance shop.. The Intercoolers and manifolds are good quality, I dont think I wil have problem making 800RWHP with this stuff, I was skeptical on the wastegate as I heard of others having problems too, mine just stuck open, I guess I'll take it apart and see if I can tell where its hanging up at.
 

·
Toyotally Awesome
Joined
·
647 Posts
Adam,

Will you take a pic of your intake housing and the gap between your first runner?

I have an SP63 on the Ebay header and couldn't imagine fitting much of anything bigger. I can fit a finger between the intake side and the first runner on the manifold, but that's it.

Regards,
Cory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,231 Posts
AdamGamz said:
Dont get so hung up on Greedy and other name brands man, I used to own a dynojet center / performance shop.. The Intercoolers and manifolds are good quality, I dont think I wil have problem making 800RWHP with this stuff, I was skeptical on the wastegate as I heard of others having problems too, mine just stuck open, I guess I'll take it apart and see if I can tell where its hanging up at.

I have one of those wastegates, but haven't got the car running yet. I've heard that it's a hit-and-miss thing. Some ppl have issues, while others have none. I also have many of those components from Ebay ('cept the turbo) that I am evaluating and writing up, etc.

PM me with any info you have or opinion you can contribute about your setup (pls include seller info, etc). I'm hoping to make some comparisons, using info from ppl who've actually got some of this stuff (intead of info from ppl that just repeat what they hear)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
soarer 300 said:
Adam,

Will you take a pic of your intake housing and the gap between your first runner?

I have an SP63 on the Ebay header and couldn't imagine fitting much of anything bigger. I can fit a finger between the intake side and the first runner on the manifold, but that's it.

Regards,
Cory
I fit a 67mm turbo with no problems.. if you notice actually the newever version of this manifold on ebay they angle the flange just a bit so that issue should be fixed now :)
 

·
1JZ BLING
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
so the pt60 and pt61 should fit just fine on the ebay manifold. .70 a/r compressor housing and all.
 

·
cinnamon jelly bean
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
soarer 300 said:
Adam,

Will you take a pic of your intake housing and the gap between your first runner?

I have an SP63 on the Ebay header and couldn't imagine fitting much of anything bigger. I can fit a finger between the intake side and the first runner on the manifold, but that's it.

Regards,
Cory
A long time ago the advertised that when going with a larger turbo you need to use a an extra T4 flange as a spacer for the turbo and it will raise it up off of the #1 runner. The reason for this is that the header is based off of an HKS but they cut the runners slightly shorter to the point that the turbo sits lower. If you put a second flange there or machine a spacer this solves the problem. Hope this helps
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
455 Posts
Ascari_2 said:
You shuold put an eBay emblem on the back rather then Toyota. Just get the real wastegate.
Lmao now thats great.....but nothing wrong with trying new things... :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts
Would putting the spacer negatively impact exhaust flow??
Back on topic:
I think its good to experiment. Even if the wastegate is total junk, it looks like all the other parts are a good value for the money. Personally I'm sceptical about everything else in the kit besides the manifold. I am surprised to hear the intercooler works well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,231 Posts
medici78 said:
Would putting the spacer negatively impact exhaust flow??
Back on topic:
I think its good to experiment. Even if the wastegate is total junk, it looks like all the other parts are a good value for the money. Personally I'm sceptical about everything else in the kit besides the manifold. I am surprised to hear the intercooler works well.

I've got just about everything... wastegate, mani, BOV, IC, etc... looks pretty decent and I am impressed, considering the cost and what I rcvd. Still needing a turbo, but am working that out now. I'll post results in one of the other "review" threads (sorry to hijaack).

E
 

·
Supratruck Pilot
Joined
·
881 Posts
I did have the same problem with my wastegate. I took it apart and could find nothing wrong. Reassembled it and haven't had any problems since. Also, I run the ebay manifold without the angled flange and a SP67 without any fitment issues.
 

·
MKIV owner since 1996
Joined
·
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well I've been working on the car all day, I pulled the wastegate out, took it apart and noticed a couple of imperfections in the metal on the valve stem, sanded it down with 2000 grit and sprayed a little lube on it, reassembled it and it seems to be working great, the only problem now is my intercooler pipes have no lips on them and keep popping at 17psi so I gotta get some IC pipes made, I'm just going to have them made in mild steel, then chrome them up, the EBAY aluminum pipes I have are very thin, I think it will be a waste to have someone weld them up. Also my EBAY BOV that looks very cool by the way was way too tight, there is no adjustment bolt so I have to change the spring, the problem is I cant find a softer spring and ssautochrome doesn't respond to my email. I wound up taking the BOV off and apart 3 times, each time I took it apart I cut out a coil, after 4 coils its perfect, no more surge :) :) Everything is running great, I'm very happy with my setup and the car pulled like a raped ape up until the time the pipe blew off the car and under my front tire LOL, I cushed it pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,231 Posts
hey Adam...

What all do you have? BOV, wastegate, etc.....? Are you gonna dyno it? Any aftermarket electronics, etc?
 
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Top