Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ugh, I never want to take the turbos off again. 5 hours to get the front turbo off and exhaust appart. So many frustrating bolts.

Anyways, fitment issues. The motor mount still needs to be ground down, but only by about 1/2" on the back side. Took about 20 minutes with my die grinder :) The DP rests on the frame of the car a little as it passes underneath, but I don't think it's much of a problem.

Interestingly enough, the stock pipe had 2 oem gaskets on either side. Is this stock, or did the previous owner maybe get the turbos replaced? Anyways, with two gaskets on either side, the new y-pipe would not fit. I needed only one gasket on each side for perfect fitment.

I didn't know that these came with both an o2 bung for the stock sensor, as well as an aftermarket sensor. Bonus!

Took me about 12 hours in total from start to finish to get it put in. NOT a very fun job at all. I'm very glad it's done now.

Edit: I also had to remove the heat shield from around the rod going from the steering wheel to the steering rack. This is only a problem on RHD cars. It could be hammered down a bit to fit though.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
stock twins have 2 gaskets. At least mine did too.
I hated taking the twins off. I did it a few times. Never again. Screw them

·
Registered
586 Posts
PM-Performance said:
stock twins have 2 gaskets. At least mine did too.
I hated taking the twins off. I did it a few times. Never again. Screw them
All I hear are horror stories. I have a y-pipe here... I think I'll skip it and go to a single manifold.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Toyota did not make this easy, but if you take your time, its not as bad...kinda :)

881JZ said:
All I hear are horror stories. I have a y-pipe here... I think I'll skip it and go to a single manifold.
its not all that bad, just comes with the territory. :bigthumb:

·
that twin 2jz guy
2,595 Posts
acuatlly its kinda hard and time consuming.. after i did my swap to twins.. i dont want to do it any more.. its easier to just go single.. and yeah for the y-pipe.. u have to take off both turbos...

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
it was a pain in the ass taking the turbo's off with the engine out of the car. It seems damn near impossible with the engine in the car. I dont know if I would have put the y-pipe on if the engine was in the car. that would have been a ball busting experience.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ronl98 said:
acuatlly its kinda hard and time consuming.. after i did my swap to twins.. i dont want to do it any more.. its easier to just go single.. and yeah for the y-pipe.. u have to take off both turbos...
Actually, NO you don't have to take off both turbos. You need to unbolt the front turbo from the exhaust header, unbolt it from the y-pipe, remove the studs holding it to the y-pipe, and pop out the turbo.

Edit: SUPRASTANGER507mgte: Yes, removed the front turbo, and put in the pipe. Much easier IMO,

·
Registered
929 Posts
i just got my china y-pipe not too long ago. i dont know if thats where you bought yours from. i just went ahead and took the whole motor out because of some of those rusted-hard-to-get bolts weren't coming off. mine barely fits without hitting anything. i don't know why yours didn't. the guy said he changed some things to make if fit better. i'm satisfied with mine.

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
annoyingrob said:
Actually, NO you don't have to take off both turbos. You need to unbolt the front turbo from the exhaust header, unbolt it from the y-pipe, remove the studs holding it to the y-pipe, and pop out the turbo.

Edit: SUPRASTANGER507mgte: Yes, removed the front turbo, and put in the pipe. Much easier IMO,

Explain how you take the y-pipe off without removing both trubo's? I dont think it's possible.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
some guy on the forums did it without removing the turbos. he removed the studs from the turbos and it slid off. don't know if that's the best way, but it can be done.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Exactly, you can remove the studs from the turbos, that's what I did (Well, I also removed the front turbo)

The reason you have to remove the turbos to get the y-pipe off is that even if you unbolt the pipe, the studs are still holding the pipe to the turbos. In order to get the pipe off, you need to also remove the studs.

Using your choice of rust penetrator (WD-40, liquid wrench, etc), spray the hole where the stud sits in the turbo, making sure to NOT spray the bolt on the stud. What this will do will allow the bolt, and stud to come out of the turbo, instead of the bolt coming off the stud, and the stud staying in the turbo.

I would recommend still removing the front turbo if you ever want to get the pipe back on, as it would be next to impossible to squeeze the pipe, and gaskets up between the turbos and have everything align.

edit: dumbness on my part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts