Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on these two companies and the quality of their products? When these decks were still produced, both of them sold for about the same.

I know someone with an N/A on this forum has the Eclipse and it looks very nice. The screen is also .7" bigger (does that make a difference? Seems insignificant) Is quality pretty much the same? Sound and display wise?

I had a Clarion 9575 in my former Audi A4 which was an awesome deck. I really liked it. My satisfaction with Clarion is the main reason I am considering buying another deck of theirs, but the 2256 is hard to find new. I'm not in any hurry though.

Any help/comments are appreciated.

-m

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i think you're referring to me. i have an eclipse 7301 in my na. here's a pic...

this is my first eclipse product and i am more than satisfied with it. it has a 5.8in screen, cd/tape behind the folding faceplate and radio/changer controls. it works really well and i haven't had any problems with it, even though i bought it used. i really like having a turn knob for the volume control also. that was a big plus. the sound controls are really well designed, especially if you are running powered mid/highs and a pair of subwoofers. the head unit's handling power could use a little help.

i compared my screen with my friend's alpine cva-1005. my screen is a lot clearer and brighter. the alpine unit is very good though. i like the compact single din design and the ability to "hide" the screen when it is closed to avoid hungry thieves. but overall, my friend' screen isn't close to the 7301's clarity. the alpine's screen on my friend's 1005 was fuzzy where my eclipse 7301 was really sharp.

however, i've never seen clarion's screen so i can't compare it to that.

but i can say is you can't go wrong with eclipse products. real quality products...you do get what you pay for (7301 is ~$2000 brand new) if you can find one new. i believe eclipse discontinued the 7301 also. but i do remember someone on the board, tito i think?...said he can get a brand new 7301 for $2000.

T

·
0 Posts
Yup, I can still get them brand new for 2K.

The MAX2256 I can get one for 850$ but used. Comes with a 180 day warranty. The original price on these was 2,100$ Clarion makes great products.

Personally I dont like double din unit's for the fact that most you cannot take out. I really like the New Kenwood Excelon. Also Eclipse MIGHT be coming out with a new model. Which includes a DVD, separate CD player and a Minidisk all in a Double Din unit. Has navigation too. Looks killer. Right now they are only in Japan. Im trying to see if I can get a few over here...

P

·
0 Posts
toysupra1 said:
i think you're referring to me. i have an eclipse 7301 in my na. here's a pic...

this is my first eclipse product and i am more than satisfied with it. it has a 5.8in screen, cd/tape behind the folding faceplate and radio/changer controls. it works really well and i haven't had any problems with it, even though i bought it used. i really like having a turn knob for the volume control also. that was a big plus. the sound controls are really well designed, especially if you are running powered mid/highs and a pair of subwoofers. the head unit's handling power could use a little help.

Hey ToySup....I just installed this unit and I have to say I like this one more than the Clarion. Was wondering if you did anything else to your unit such as dsp or changer? Do you know anything about the Navigation unit? Did you hook up a ps2 to your system?

Thanks

Patrick.

95 Bpu++
;)

·
I own a Lexus
952 Posts
TITO said:
Also Eclipse MIGHT be coming out with a new model. Which includes a DVD, separate CD player and a Minidisk all in a Double Din unit. Has navigation too. Looks killer. Right now they are only in Japan. Im trying to see if I can get a few over here...

DAMN!! I knew I should have kept that thing to myself. I wanted to be the first one to get it over here;) . If I wasnt trying to save up for a new car I would already have it in my hands. :)

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Patnick said:
[/B]
Hey ToySup....I just installed this unit and I have to say I like this one more than the Clarion. Was wondering if you did anything else to your unit such as dsp or changer? Do you know anything about the Navigation unit? Did you hook up a ps2 to your system?

Thanks

Patrick.
[/B]
whats up patrick. the 7301 is great isn't it? i heard the dsp is hard to find since not too many places carry it. also, i don't have a changer hooked up to it. i don't really want to spend money on a changer since it only takes a few seconds to change the cds. about the navigation unit, eclipse never made that add-on feature. i think they planned on producing one...that is why there is a navigation plug in the back, but they never actually produced one or had one for sale. i have my ps2 hooked up to it sometimes...from my picture, i have "gone in 60 sec" playing on my ps2.:)

P

·
0 Posts
toysupra1 said:

whats up patrick. the 7301 is great isn't it? i heard the dsp is hard to find since not too many places carry it. also, i don't have a changer hooked up to it. i don't really want to spend money on a changer since it only takes a few seconds to change the cds. about the navigation unit, eclipse never made that add-on feature. i think they planned on producing one...that is why there is a navigation plug in the back, but they never actually produced one or had one for sale. i have my ps2 hooked up to it sometimes...from my picture, i have "gone in 60 sec" playing on my ps2.:)
Kewl! It's because of you I ran out and got this unit and I have to say I'm loving it every second I see it! Thanks.... I hope to have my system finished before the end of the year. Still got to install the speakers and sub box now....hopefully I'll have pix posted soon! Laters

patrick.;)

T

·
0 Posts
There is a guy on the partstrader selling a MAX2256 brand new for 600$!

Just to let ya know...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts