Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm not a car tech so please excuse the inaccuracies in this post. I got the word from my Toyota dealership that they can't help me any further with a huge ECM issue that I have with my '97 Supra TT. I've owned this car from '99 and its stock. I've driven it almost every day for 23 years and I love it. The problem originated from some kind of fluid leak down a wiring harness into the ECM module. There was an engine check light and I have a device to pull the engine codes on the car and it was registering a "cylinder 4 misfire" engine check light. The engine idles roughly, and it won't go over 2000 revs without getting much worse and there is no power. Toyota fixed the leak, cleaned the harness and the ECM module and returned it to me, and it was working fine again until I went on vacation and left it in the garage for 3 weeks and the same started happening again. This time they said the ECM was shot so they pulled the ECM and shipped it to an ECM rebuilder who, after taking far too long, responded back that they can't rebuild the ECM. I don't have the details on why yet but will try to get them from the service manager at Toyota. At this point Toyota said there is nothing further that they can do to help me - because they only deal with Toyota parts. They're not charging me for the latest investigation, or the attempt by the other company to rebuild the ECM, shipping, etc. I have no quarrel with them and appreciate their effort trying. Every time I went there somebody from the Toyota team would come up and bathe in the splendor of the stock TT which you don't see many of in my city.

So, my emphasis on the they in the first sentence was that the service manager was indicating that Toyota can't take it any further with Toyota parts. He said that they tried to source another ECM as a replacement but no luck. But he was indirectly suggesting that there are other alternatives. So, are there alternatives to me in this case? Are there after-market ECMs for the '97 Supra TT?

·
This aggression will not stand, man.
3,665 Posts
It's an auto Patrick

Edit: BTW thanks for the quick reply I wasn't expecting to hear back from anyone until tomorrow.
No problem. I have an OBD2 TT auto ECU. Hopefully that’s the solution to your problem. Where are you located?

Reactions: Texas Grandma

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm in Austin Texas @Patrick94TT. Do you have a website that I should go to? I don't have the car back yet as they are waiting for the ECU from the rebuilder to put it back in. I'll also talk to the dealer to see who can replace it for me. Thanks to everyone for your responses on this as it's eased my mind.
If you get the car back directly you can replace the ECU yourself. It is about 4 10mm bolts I believe and only takes a few minutes. I've replaced my stock 97 auto ecu a few years back. No more issues.

·
Administrator
10,072 Posts
If you get the car back directly you can replace the ECU yourself. It is about 4 10mm bolts I believe and only takes a few minutes. I've replaced my stock 97 auto ecu a few years back. No more issues.
Agreed ecu is literally a 5 minute job. I struggle more with head light bulbs 😆

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok that's good to hear. Maybe I'll try that. I may ping you for more instructions if you don't mind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, I'm not a car tech so please excuse the inaccuracies in this post. I got the word from my Toyota dealership that they can't help me any further with a huge ECM issue that I have with my '97 Supra TT. I've owned this car from '99 and its stock. I've driven it almost every day for 23 years and I love it. The problem originated from some kind of fluid leak down a wiring harness into the ECM module. There was an engine check light and I have a device to pull the engine codes on the car and it was registering a "cylinder 4 misfire" engine check light. The engine idles roughly, and it won't go over 2000 revs without getting much worse and there is no power. Toyota fixed the leak, cleaned the harness and the ECM module and returned it to me, and it was working fine again until I went on vacation and left it in the garage for 3 weeks and the same started happening again. This time they said the ECM was shot so they pulled the ECM and shipped it to an ECM rebuilder who, after taking far too long, responded back that they can't rebuild the ECM. I don't have the details on why yet but will try to get them from the service manager at Toyota. At this point Toyota said there is nothing further that they can do to help me - because they only deal with Toyota parts. They're not charging me for the latest investigation, or the attempt by the other company to rebuild the ECM, shipping, etc. I have no quarrel with them and appreciate their effort trying. Every time I went there somebody from the Toyota team would come up and bathe in the splendor of the stock TT which you don't see many of in my city.

So, my emphasis on the they in the first sentence was that the service manager was indicating that Toyota can't take it any further with Toyota parts. He said that they tried to source another ECM as a replacement but no luck. But he was indirectly suggesting that there are other alternatives. So, are there alternatives to me in this case? Are there after-market ECMs for the '97 Supra TT?
I have a 1984 and the ECM went out. My dealer searched the U S , no luck. Got permission to go directly to the manufacturer in Japan. They no longer had the molds. Thanks to someone on this site they located 2 at junkyards in the US

·
Administrator
10,072 Posts
@Patrick94TT the ECU is back from to Toyota and they have agreed to install and test the replacement ECU that I provide them. I'll DM you to confirm part number, etc.
The hilarious part is thinking the dealer has any idea what's going on in a supra that almost no one if any can work on at the dealer and without plugging the car into a scan tool. You are surely testing their mechanical abilities :) I wish I could watch a hidden camera show of this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The hilarious part is thinking the dealer has any idea what's going on in a supra that almost no one if any can work on at the dealer and without plugging the car into a scan tool. You are surely testing their mechanical abilities :) I wish I could watch a hidden camera show of this.
They definitely have needed to call the service "big guns" at the head office a number of times on this case and he was upfront about it. The source of the problem is that fluid from a leak in the engine was running down the wiring harness into the ECU and was shorting the pins. I don't know if the techs at this dealership found that issue or whether it was head office that gave them the suggestion but I was glad they did. They told me that they've fixed those leaks, but I will confirm that 100% with them before they put in the replacement ECU.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts