Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Well I've had some electrical gremlins with my car for a while now, shuddering in accelleration, loss of power and generally making my car not fun to drive. Have changed the works...

Timing belt, spark plugs, cleaned injectors, fuel filter, dizzy rotor, HT leads

Including the ECU, issues persist :( I have found a short term fix however, but I'd like to sort the issue out. Basically to fix car running slower than a Corolla, I reset the ECU, this fixes all problems for about 2-3 days, then car goes back to being a pain to drive, with next to no power, and sluggish acceleration. I'm guessing this is the ECU in limp mode.

With my old ECU I could never get it to throw any error codes by shorting out the diag port in the engine bay, but this new ECU does throw error codes, but not where you'd think.

Going by the writeups I've seen on the net Supras that are 96.5+ have ODBII and older Supras have ODB1(is this correct?)

So, since I drive a 96.6 Supra I was guessing I had ODBII, which means you short out Tc & E1 to get error codes. After turning the key this resulted in something I didn't expect.

- Airbag light was constantly on, ABS light was flashing codes and there was no ECU check light flashing.

I watched the codes cycle through 5 times and got the following errors...

41, 49, 51, 14 & 32 the common denominator there seems to be the TPS, which could be causing some of my woes, but since when did error codes come from the ABS light????

Anyway, so I thought I would try the ODB1 terminals to see what happened, so I shorted TE1 & E1 which resulted in the "check engine" light flashing constantly, but no codes.....

Anyone seen this before? Do you think the ABS light could be telling the truth, as looking around there doesn't appear to be an error 49.

Anyway comments and suggestions appreciated :sadance:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I had a problem with my ABS and it threw a check engine light warning. Check your ABS sensors and wires. Make sure that the connectors are not loose and the wires are not cut.

I didn't experience the same problem you had - lost of power but it's worth a try. Here's what happens when you don't put the plastic liner.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If your car is OBDII('96+), why not just take it to a local auto parts store(Advance, Autozone) and have them check it with their scanner. It's free.

·
High Performance WorkShop
300 Posts
flashing through abs light , happened to one of my customer's supra sometime back , i'd check the Check engine cluster or the wires in tyhe connector that goes in there , one of em is wacko ! ...
GL

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, it's going to the mechanic on Wednesday, he's got a scanner with the firmware for the 2JZ-GE, last ECU didn't throw codes, but this one seems to be so hopefully he can get some usable info this time, I really want to get it sorted cause my car club(Toymods) has a dyno day next Sunday and then a night out at the drags the following Wednesday....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts