Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it just started last night doing this, i turned on the car and it started and ran for a second, then the lights kinda flickered and the car died. so i was like what the hell and tried to restart it but it just cranks and wont turn over. i looked around and noticed that the AFC and VPC werent lighting up so i figured that the ecu fuse was blown since thats what powers them. well i put a new fuse in and it ran fine for most the day today. after the car sat for a couple hours i went back out and it blew the fuse again. i put a new fuse in and it blew that one as soon as i turned the key one click, so i tried another and it did it again.

my car has never done anything like this before, the only thing that i have changed lately is putting in an evc ez, and the power wire for it is tapped into the stock clock so i dont think that could be causing it? someone have an idea? thanx

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
try unpluging the ez and see if it works ,also try and change the power sorce of the afc or vpc the load might be too much for the fuse!
just giving ideas!

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the idea ill try unplugging the evc and see what happens....ive driven the car a couple thousand miles with the afc and vpc hooked up like this and it just started doing this randomly, weird.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
unplugged the evc and it still blew on the first click of turning the key. i guess ill try unhooking the afc and see what happens since it doesnt really need that to run (everything is set at zero still)

EDIT: i unplugged the afc and it blew still, so i unplugged the vpc as well and it still blew. WTF is going on?!

·
10,459 Posts
i was hoping not to say this but i think you have a short some place ....re-check your install of you last item befor this started to happen to see if you crossed or shorted anything you might have over looked something small !also make sure youhave the right fuse amperage placed in there!

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RanGer498 said:
i was hoping not to say this but i think you have a short some place ....re-check your install of you last item befor this started to happen to see if you crossed or shorted anything you might have over looked something small !also make sure youhave the right fuse amperage placed in there!
could the short be anywhere, or just something thats hooked up to the ecu? the reason i ask is both my guages and evc are hooked up to the stock clock harness. i also have the evc and the turbo timer grounded to the same bolt thats located around the clutch peddle area..could any of those cause the problem? thanx alot for helping ranger.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's definately a short somewhere. You have voltage touching the chasis, that would be my guess.

·
10,459 Posts
calme check your pm for my #
gritsak said:

could the short be anywhere, or just something thats hooked up to the ecu? the reason i ask is both my guages and evc are hooked up to the stock clock harness. i also have the evc and the turbo timer grounded to the same bolt thats located around the clutch peddle area..could any of those cause the problem? thanx alot for helping ranger.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Andy,

I have the 94TT wiring diagram and the EFI No. 1 fuse powers the following subsystems.

1)Datalink Connector 1
2)Electronic Controlled Transmission Soleniod
3)Engine Control Module
4)Fuel Pump ECU
5)Heated Main Oxygen Sensor
6)Heated Sub Oxygen Sensor
7)Idle Air Control Valve
8)Mass Air Flow Meter
9)Traction Pump and Motor
10) VSV for ACIS
11)VSV for EGR
12)VSV for EVAP
13)VSV for Exhaust Bypass Valve
14)VSV for Exhaust Gas Control Valve
15)VSV for Fuel Pump Pressure Up
16)VSV for Air Intake Control Valve
17)VSV for Wastegate Valve
18)EFI main relay
19)EFI No.2 Relay

A short could be in any of these. This looks like alot but the one I would check for first since you have a VPC is the wiring. Make sure there isn't a wire that came loose, especially a power wire, that could be touching the chassis. Attached is a scanned page from the wiring diagram manual on how to find a short. Hope this helps.

Marlon

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to everyone that posted thank you VERY much. i think i found the problem, and i feel stupid lol...

the day before i started driving my car again i was messing with the fuel pump harness plug and for some odd reason (dont ask why lol) i took out the little white plastic piece that pushes into the plug to keep the connectors from touching eachother, and forgot to put it back in. the connecters must have been touching and thats what cause the fuse to blow.

im gonna put it all back together tomorrow and drive it around just to make sure, but the fuse didnt blow like it did before when i turned the key so it looks to be ok.

thanx again to everyone, especially ranger for going out of his way and giving me his phone number.

·
10,459 Posts
like i stated befor i was sure you might have also overlooked something small it always happens dont feel foolish !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts