Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone's car run fine right when you start the car after an ECU reset, or the first install of the VPC? Do you have good throttle response right away, or does it take a little time for the ECU to learn the characteristics of the VPC?

If it takes time for the ECU to learn, how long before your car is running well on the VPC??

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mine seems to run pretty much normally immediately after a reset. I've heard from other reliable sources that some cars seem to get a lot better with a few minutes of driving time.

·
462 Posts
The very first time I started the car with the VPC it was terrible!!!

I was scared. But just drove it around and it was fine.

Every time thereafter when I did an ECU reset, you can notice a difference a bit just upon startup.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spool-

What was terrible about it? Poor idle, bad throttle response, hesistation?? Just want to see if anyone is having the same issues i am..

I have a large hesitation on initial throttle tip in, that the response knob does nothing to cure. This is not present with the stock MAF though, so its gotta be something with the VPC..

Well, at least i know im not the only one with VPC issues after an ECU reset.. :)

Spool said:
The very first time I started the car with the VPC it was terrible!!!

I was scared. But just drove it around and it was fine.

Every time thereafter when I did an ECU reset, you can notice a difference a bit just upon startup.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just finished installing my VPC last night. I plugged the harness in, hooked the battery back up, and turned the key. It fired right up, no hesitation, fairly smooth and consistent idle. Throttle response was good after about 1 minute of running time (I let the car warm a little before blipping the throttle). Took it out for a drive, ran perfect, except for the spinning of the tires problem. Did you order the Supra kit or hardwire it in?

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
i am so envy you having a harness for vpc installation,
i am in the middle to look for one or go with resistor,
but not sure how,

anyway,
the first when i started my mkiv after vpc and singleturbo, that is fine, but when i did something on my fuel pump last friday, the car got so terrible, it seens running rich, but after i drove around, it turned fine,

but i did have engine check lights on,

Later.
TURBODAWG said:
I just finished installing my VPC last night. I plugged the harness in, hooked the battery back up, and turned the key. It fired right up, no hesitation, fairly smooth and consistent idle. Throttle response was good after about 1 minute of running time (I let the car warm a little before blipping the throttle). Took it out for a drive, ran perfect, except for the spinning of the tires problem. Did you order the Supra kit or hardwire it in?

Brian

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried it both ways. Hardwired, and with the Harness. Both seemed to have the same problems.

I am assuming you are still on the stock turbos/fuel system?

TURBODAWG said:

Brian

·
Registered
247 Posts
TURBODAWG said:

Brian
Brian, did you get my message? I called your cell the next day to see how the install went. Couldn't get hold of you. How's it look?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My car used to do that, but it just stopped. I would start the car and if I didn't let it warm up, initial throttle input would seem to stall the car. It would not die, just seem slugish. Then it stopped one day? I reset my ECU from time to time and there is no effect except for bad idle for about a minute.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jade Supra said:

Brian, did you get my message? I called your cell the next day to see how the install went. Couldn't get hold of you. How's it look?
Things went okay. The temp sensor thread snapped off. I used liquid steel to fix it, that worked okay. I wired in the Field SFC to the HKS harness, no problems. Installed the two units in the glove box with the bracket supplied, a little difficult. Plugged everything up, started right up and ran great. I fabbed up a sweet MAF sensor replacement pipe. I measured up the stock MAF sensor and drew a 3-D version of a replacement pipe. I had a machinist at work turn it out on the lathe out of Delrin (black). It looks like a factory piece and fit perfect. The only problem I have is I need an additional inline vacuum filter because the HKS fit only comes with one. It says to use that one where you remove the factory gas filter that filters the air going to the factory Turbo Pressure sensor. If I use it there I don't have one going to the HKS pressure sensor. The Supra VPC supplement sheet does not even say to install one in the new pressure sensor line. Other people say for other cars it says to put one in 2" from the HKS pressure sensor. Therefore I am looking for a vacuum filter that I can use and hopefully find locally. I wanted to go to the Dyno this weekend. It I find the filter I probably will go. What did you use in place of the factory MAF?

Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also!

The boost also went up. I had the dual SBC set on the same low boost setting, as before the VPC, and the boost used to go up to 1.17 kg/cm2, but when I took it out for a spin the first time, it ran up to 1.46 kg/cm2 at the same boost setting, 54. It was cold that night, but it still has never gone that high. let alone at low boost setting. This was in third gear roll on.

See ya
Brian

·
462 Posts
Just bad idle and response. After warmed up and driven around the block it was fine.

Regarding boost, yep it did go up. Guess the MAF is a restriction!

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts