Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a matter of introduction, I'm Zach. I own and run ECUMaster USA, and my cars serve as test mules for new products, features, sensors, etc. I've had my Mk3 since 2000 and it's been through many iterations. Most recent specifications are as follows:
1JZ Head, BC272 Cams
2JZ Block, CP Pistons, K1 rods
ECUMaster EMU Standalone
Clutchmasters twin disk
"Built" R154
Precision 6766 journal bearing
ID1300 injectors, twin Bosch 044 pumps in surge tank
Made 830whp at 32-33 pounds on the dyno, it's seen 37-38 on the street

I've broken a few R154s, even with all of the aftermarket goodies. Past the 700tq mark I just haven't seen them live. Current project is to fit a TR6060 trans out of a 2013 Camaro into my car. The car needs to be reliable so that it can serve as a test mule, and I've found the limit of the R154 more than once. I'd like to do half mile and mile events with the car, so a reliable transmission is a necessity.

Eventual plans are to install a VVTi 2JZ-GE head on my current block, or I may get stupid and build a stroker. We'll see.

The patient:

Engine bay:

Spultronix DASH7 communicating with the EMU

New shop location

TR6060 out of a 2013 Camaro SS with 13k miles

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Current plan is to install the Viper TR6060 front cover in place of the one piece camaro bellhousing. I don't know yet if I'll be able to retain the oil pump that's in the Camaro trans, but I'd like to. Have to wait and see what the Viper plate looks like, I couldn't find any accurate info as to whether the Viper trans is equipped with the pump or has provisions in the casting.

I'll then use this adapter to mount a Toyota auto bellhousing to the TR6060

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. Why the TR6060? Are you in FL?
Dallas area.

TR6060 is factory equipment in the Camaro SS/ZL1, later C6 Corvette and Corvette ZR1, Gen 4 and 5 Viper, etc. Repeatedly proven to handle 4 digit torque, great support for replacement parts, friendly with the available differential ratios in the Mk3, pennies on the dollar compared to a V160, improved shift feel and strength compared to the T56, etc.

V160- ridiculous from a financial standpoint, replacement parts are drying up, doesn't work well with Mk3 diff ratios
CD009- I'm not sold on the strength, ratios aren't great with Mk3 diff
T56- similar money, just as much work, TR6060 is an improvement in several areas
R154- broken repeatedly at 700+ torque, not an option anymore

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Going to put the shifter in stock location? If this proves to go "easy", I may bite and try it myself. My whole issue is clutches. Once you start getting into trans swaps, you start running into custom flywheels, etc. And it can drive the price quickly.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I want to say a company called Liberty Gears makes a bellhousing to adapt the trans to the engine. Worth checking out.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to put the shifter in stock location? If this proves to go "easy", I may bite and try it myself. My whole issue is clutches. Once you start getting into trans swaps, you start running into custom flywheels, etc. And it can drive the price quickly.
If you already have a multidisk clutch that's push style, all you need are disks with the proper splines for the new trans.

I want to say a company called Liberty Gears makes a bellhousing to adapt the trans to the engine. Worth checking out.
Converting the TR6060 to take a bellhousing like the T56 is the bigger problem. I like toyota parts since they always fit properly, so I'm choosing to use the Toyota auto bellhousing.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've attached a gear ratio calculator that I created. You can compare cruising RPM at 70 MPH, top speed in each gear, top speed overall, etc. I've got data for most versions of the TR6060, T56 Magnum, CD009, R154 and V160. Worth having a look if you're considering a transmission swap.

View attachment Gear Ratio Calculator.zip

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
what do these trans' run for ?$3500 i think? do you lose the signal for your tach to work with this trans? I.E., calculating the correct rpm/mph. if so, what do you plan to do about it?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're readliy available used for under $2k. New price is under $3k for either the Magnum or the TR6060. The T56 magnum has provision for both mechanical and electronic speedos, TR6060 just has a speed sensor on the output shaft. I have a Spultronix dash, so the speed signal will be generated by the ECU based on the speed signal from the output shaft.

Test fitment will happen after the Viper front cover arrives. It's been ordered, but hasn't shipped yet.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Very nice on that Calc. Much appreciated for sure. I just put my diff ratio in there and chose the trans I am looking at. Very nice.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts