Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history.. My son (Gabe) is 13yo and he bought a 1988 MKIII from a guy that put a ton of money into a rebuild and blew it up after 3500 miles... it sat for several years before we got a hold of it...Fast forward>>>> we pulled the motor last weekend and found Cylinder #2 spun rod bearing. Going back together with forged internals rebuild.. My question now is should i install a ECUMASTER EMU BLACK when it all goes back together. The reason i'm reaching out to this community is the wealth of Supra knowledge. It has a -Greddy Emanage Piggyback And -Greddy Profec E-01 in it now to control the upgrades but should i take this opportunity to swap that out for a EMU Black? We are in no hurry for the build, we have 3 years to have it ready.

Video of us pulling the motor..

Upgrade/Parts from previous owner

-Arp Main Studs, Head Bolts, Rod Bolts

-Ported and Polished Head

-Ported and Polished Exhaust Manifold with

Ceramic Coating -Cooleeze 3in Ceramic Coated Downpipe

-Cooleeze Ceramic Coated Intercooler Pipes -SP61GT Turbo from Sound Performance

-HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve -HKS Drager Exhaust

-RPS Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel -Spec Stage 3 clutch w/ 6 Puck

-HKS Metal Head Gasket

-Shot Peened Stock Connecting Rods -Ross Forged Racing Pistons with HPC

-Performance Coatings -Lucas 550cc Injectors

-Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR

-Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

-Lexus AFM

-K&N FPIK

-NGK Plug Wires

-Greddy 60mm Peak/Hold Gauges (Boost and

EGT)

-Greddy Emanage Piggyback

-Greddy Profec E-01

-Removal of All EGR equipment, Cruise Control, and All Unnecessary vacuum lines/vsv's

Attachments

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
You can go to a standalone but you better have someone locally that knows how to set it up and tune it (and possibly install if going new engine harness route).

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
939 Posts
I always do my builds in steps to avoid issues. If it were me, i would rebuild the engine and get it up and running. Once you feel confident that the motor is making good oil pressure, compression, etc., then i would add the standalone.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,507 Posts
Agreed with the others, get it back together and running before going standalone, if you can.

But the ECUMaster Black is probably the best bang for the buck standalone, and you can get a PNP harness if you want to retain the stock harness. Good support through the Facebook groups, and lots of accessories if you want new features (GPS, EGT, etc).

I've got one with the pnp (yet to install) but I'm also collecting parts to build my own harness eventually.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
344 Posts
I went EMU black. I chose the PNP with some added sensors and CPS delete from Fornari. The base tune is pretty good for a stock block. Just follow the instructions from ECU Master and you should be able to get it up and running and maybe running out on the road. I am a novice when it comes to standalones but the ECU master has so far been relatively painless when it comes to something like this.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,402 Posts
I have direct experience with both.
Actually more than just thst

ms3 pro PNP
EMU black
Emanage blue
Emanage ultimate

As everyone said get the car running first doing everything in one swoop Chad’s nothing but problems due to chasing your tail at what is wrong.

EMU is good but still don’t love the software over tuner studio simply because it’s much easier on tuner studio since you use the search on top right and just the way the logs are displayed etc is better and more mature on MS.

However, emu includes wb02 controller and EGT ports out of the box, it’s waterproof mostly and compact. It’s PNP harness/board is crap because you have to go outside of the jumper box to add wiring since a bunch of wires are not connected though the PCB of you wanted to add other sensors facilitating a side jumper harness

overall though both are solid units, it’s just preference they both do the same thing. However I wouldn’t go to a stand-alone at all until you get a crank trigger setup first.

also the emanage is ultra capable within limits. The blue I used to make reliable 450 whp on my 7m back in the day and still make 500whp with the 2jz mk3 thst I have the ultimate on. There are some limitations and you have to know how to worksround some of the limitations to do things like e85 blending etc.

Otherwise all will work for your use case. The one thing I will give credit to for the stock Ecu is knock control. I’ve pinged many times due to the aggressive timing but never once broke an engine with the stock Ecu. I’ve fried many on a stand-alone because almost no one uses knock sensors on stand-alone which I find is a travesty.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ain't nobody going to say anything about the kid is only 13 years old? Mad props
Reminds me of Aaron Farlinger in Arizona. Met him when he was probably 11 or 12, coming to SIV with his dad in their beautiful Mk2. Fast forward a few years, Aaron is joining us for the caravan to Vegas, in his own Mk3. Fast forward a few more years, Aaron is enjoying a beer with us. Man... time flies!

On the ECU question, I can see both ways. Small steps are prudent, and I would NOT advocate for buying something as tech heavy as an ecu or dash display (or turbo...) until you are good and ready for it. Technology has a way of leap frogging itself every couple years, it seems, and it sucks getting stuck with outdated parts when you're chasing the edge of performance. Which... leads me to my next point, which is one of those "do as I say not as I do" lessons.

I bought a used AEM setup probably 3 or 4 years before we got the car on the road, expecting to be much further along in the project than the reality of the situation. Unfortunately, ended up with a bad ecu or something of that nature, ended up having to go with a different setup anyway, that sucked. Had I been smart, I would have just reused the stock ecu to get the thing back on the road sooner, but noooooo... I'm an idiot, and apparently enjoy doing things the hard way. :p

Hold off for now. Take your time, build it right, build it once. Run it on a stand once it's ready to go, on the stock ecu. If it all works as it should, consider the approach. The wiring in that car is 35 years old at this point. Toyota built quality cars, yes, but I know by the time I hit 35, my wires didn't perform like they once did haha. A tiny, almost undetectable crack in a wire that arcs to the engine bay somewhere can have you chasing headaches for weeks... Built your own harness, not a bad idea if you're reasonably competent and have a decent crimp tool. If not, I know there are options out there for freshly built harnesses, no shame at all in outsourcing when appropriate! Had I done that I probably would have had my car on the road 2-3 years sooner than I did, though it might have cost more up front, perhaps. Perhaps not though, I wouldn't have had to do so many things twice...

Anyway, welcome to the Supra family! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts