Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant start my car because the EFI fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing . .. any ideas? this has never happened before

·
Registered
105 Posts
You most likely have a short somewhere in the engine harness, I been there before.... last time it happened it was by the thermo housing...(the bracket holding the power steering bottle)

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
something is shorted on the +b line.

most common sources are either the 02 sensor wiring is melted or the wiring going to the egr.

id check those places first.

after that, go thru the wiring diagram and unplug everything that +b goes to (isc, vsv, 02, egr, etc).

if everything +b goes to is unhooked and the fuse still pops, try unhooking the main relay (round silver relay in main engine fuse box) and see if it stops popping. may also try the main circuit opening relay that is under the dash on the pass side kick panel.

after you look at all these things you can determine where the problem is and take it from there.

good luck

dave

·
GG BHG
329 Posts
this happened to me one time after swapping my motor and it was because my friend kept hooking the battery up backwards hahaha

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same prob. It turned out to be a list of related problems. The wiring harness had some burnt wires and the ignition switch and modules were both fried due to the wiring harness.

Moral of the story....you have a short somewhere in your system, there are a million things that could be the problem/problems, and good luck!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt realize this thread was still alive. The o2 sensor had a burnt wire that melted itself to the chasis. sounds like thats a common problem.

thanks all

·
Registered
13 Posts
Though the thread is probably dead, I had a similar problem with my 87. The wiring harness kept melting it's sheathing off on the EGR and shorting the ignition fuse. A zip tie and some electrical tape does the trick fixing it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
the O2 sensor wire is supposed to be put in two little hooks on one of the hardpipes that go to the accordian hose...

I always put mine there, and if you get a good replacement O2 sensor, it has good heat wrapping on the wiring too...

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
I didnt realize this thread was still alive. The o2 sensor had a burnt wire that melted itself to the chasis. sounds like thats a common problem.

thanks all
score for me! lol

glad you got it fixed.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I had this happen to mine and the short on mine was in a hard place to find. Location was in between the gas tank and the body of the car where the fuel gauge wiring harness. With a short on the EFI circuit you can't retrieve a problem code from the diagnostic port. Short circuits are hard to find sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts