1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
151 Posts
Subscribed. Can't wait to see some results on the 8474. Supposedly spools harder than the 9180 (uses same turbine as the 8374), but has the same max flow as the 9180 (95 lb/min). These turbo's are all the rage in the rotary world.

I believe the EFR turbos are physically smaller than the S300 series turbos (which go up to a 72mm inducer). Since the S300s all use the same compressor housings and barely fit on a FSR manifold, I would think the the EFRs would fit with some additional room to spare. However, I would not want to take the $2,500 plunge without knowing....

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes! Turblown is working on a variable A/R Turbine housing using the QSV concept, It's for EFR turbos. This would make the 8474 even more of a perfect street turbo for the 3.0L. Just waiting for updates. What I find truly interesting is how the 9280 is going to act. it's compressor inducer is larger than the 6870 by 5.68mm however the compressor exducer is smaller by 1.46mm. the 9280 also has a larger turbine by 1.26mm and 3.79mm respectively and with it's super duper turbine material I'm thinking we might have a 6466 spool with 6870 power.

the 8474 should have less time to torque than the 9180.
the 8374 and 8474 use the same turbine

Compressor Inducer and exducer are
62/83 (8374)
68/84 (8474)
67.7/91 (9180)
73.7/91 (9280)

Turbine inducer and exducer
74/64 (8374/8474)
80/74 (9180/9280)

Maximum speeds for the 8474 are 127k and for the 9280 is 117k

compressor inducer/exducer
68.02/92.46
turbine inducer/exducer
78.74/70.21

8374vs8474.jpg
EFR 8474 map

9180vs9280.jpg
EFR 9280 map

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,127 Posts
To my knowledge we haven’t had an EFR turbo on the manifold yet but I get plenty of people calling to ask. However we have done plenty of 6870 kits on the manifold with many different motor and fuel setups. What do you want to know?

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my knowledge we haven’t had an EFR turbo on the manifold yet but I get plenty of people calling to ask. However we have done plenty of 6870 kits on the manifold with many different motor and fuel setups. What do you want to know?
Hello Patrick, has anyone run a HP cover 6870 on your manifold?

Sidenote,

Does anyone have a EFR turbo they can lend for test fit?

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sidenote,

Does anyone have a EFR turbo they can lend for test fit? if not I can always take measurements

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,127 Posts

Sidenote,

Does anyone have a EFR turbo they can lend for test fit?
Yes I just finished a build on an MKIV with built 10:1 VVTi motor, ProEFI, full V160 6spd/TRD 6spd rear swap, FSR cast manifold, and 6870 HP cover. Made 1000hp in 105 degree weather without breaking a sweat. We really didn't even turn it up past that because a daily-driver capable 1000hp Supra is what the customer wanted. Big jump from the bone stock TT auto he brought us lol

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I just finished a build on an MKIV with built 10:1 VVTi motor, ProEFI, full V160 6spd/TRD 6spd rear swap, FSR cast manifold, and 6870 HP cover. Made 1000hp in 105 degree weather without breaking a sweat. We really didn't even turn it up past that because a daily-driver capable 1000hp Supra is what the customer wanted. Big jump from the bone stock TT auto he brought us lol
good to know the HP cover fits! Thanks bud. What was she making on pump 93? I don't have E-85 around me so i'm going to be limited to that.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
If it has not been mentioned, the SPA/FSR has the wastegate hole right on top that a block-off plate would need fabricated for since most of the EFR's have an internal wastegate.

Or just go for the 1.05 A/R or larger housing, which is external WG.

Al

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it has not been mentioned, the SPA/FSR has the wastegate hole right on top that a block-off plate would need fabricated for since most of the EFR's have an internal wastegate.

Or just go for the 1.05 A/R or larger housing, which is external WG.

Al
I'd be looking at the 1.45 housing. Seems like the 1.05 A/R housing is almost at the limit at 8k on the 9180, so I think building in some safety margin would be wise, instead of running it at the edge of the 9280.

Yea their would be a plate bolted to the wastegate hole. Thanks Al.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey bud,

1000hp or rwhp?
Mind if I ask what color the car is? blue or red?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,127 Posts
hey bud,

1000hp or rwhp?
Mind if I ask what color the car is? blue or red?
1000rwhp on our in-house Dynojet 211. And the car is red on bronze TE37.

And yes as Al mentioned you would have to block the wastegate port off on the manifold if you were to use the EFR internal wastegate.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
... What I find truly interesting is how the 9280 is going to act. it's compressor inducer is larger than the 6870 by 5.68mm however the compressor exducer is smaller by 1.46mm. the 9280 also has a larger turbine by 1.26mm and 3.79mm respectively and with it's super duper turbine material I'm thinking we might have a 6466 spool with 6870 power.

the 8474 should have less time to torque than the 9180.
the 8374 and 8474 use the same turbine

Compressor Inducer and exducer are
62/83 (8374)
68/84 (8474)
67.7/91 (9180)
73.7/91 (9280)

any idea how much power people have made with the 9280? I ask because there are 72-74mm turbos making 11-1200 whp in the supra community.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Sadly the borg EFR turbos are usually hard to find support on when you need parts or something doesn't go well. From my days in the 4 cyl world, they always seem to promise the world, but come up short in reality. I would stick to the precision unit you have spec'd out as its a tried and true unit that will deliver tons of performance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its strange how in the Supra community people run Precision's 80% of the time (BW is junk). In the rotary world, people run BW's 80% of the time (Precision is junk). It seems like Precision generally uses smaller back ends, which is better for spool on a piston engine. Rotary guys, especially bridge-ports with high overlap, can't use restrictive back ends that create high back pressure and force exhaust back through the intake ports. The EFR turbo's are on all indy cars, they run two 7163's on each motor, and failure has been rare.

All that being said, I would really like to see someone take the plunge on a EFR9280 on a 2JZ with the 1.45 rear housing. Maybe 1100rwhp or something close is possible (10rwhp x 110 lb/min)?? What would spool look like? Somebody do it!

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any idea how much power people have made with the 9280? I ask because there are 72-74mm turbos making 11-1200 whp in the supra community.
I'm eagerly searching instagram tags.

I'm not looking for huge power numbers since I cannot run E85 without a huge hassle ( have to order large fuel cans to store at home and I DONT want to do that, It's not too far from me, but still a pain in the ass to go get)

The goal is 600whp on pump. However the engine is stock at the moment, I don't want a 6466/ destroying my rods (But it's such a nice turbo) and a 6266 won't give me the power I want and a 6870 needs a QSV to spool where I want it to but it makes that power that I want. That's why I keep looking at EFR turbos. If garret had made a G35 series turbo I'd be going with them. They have a G42-1200 which is almost identical to the EFR in specs, turbine wheel is 2mm larger on the inducer and 1mm on the exducer. I'm set on the EFR or PTE. Just waiting on results now.

Its strange how in the Supra community people run Precision's 80% of the time (BW is junk). In the rotary world, people run BW's 80% of the time (Precision is junk). It seems like Precision generally uses smaller back ends, which is better for spool on a piston engine. Rotary guys, especially bridge-ports with high overlap, can't use restrictive back ends that create high back pressure and force exhaust back through the intake ports. The EFR turbo's are on all indy cars, they run two 7163's on each motor, and failure has been rare.

All that being said, I would really like to see someone take the plunge on a EFR9280 on a 2JZ with the 1.45 rear housing. Maybe 1100rwhp or something close is possible (10rwhp x 110 lb/min)?? What would spool look like? Somebody do it!
there's a few guys on here who run the 1.45 housing A/R 9180's and they'd had good results. The thing is , these turbos work way better on smaller engines. RB's, 4g63's etc. I think after 26lbs on a 1.05 it's dead to us. Which is why going to the slightly larger 9280 and larger Turbine housing I think will provide the results i'm looking for,

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The EFR series seems like a good option if you're starting from scratch, AND are using one with an internal WG. Then you don't have the additional expense of a wastegate and BOV, and having to weld a BOV mount, etc. Also, you can justify the cost of the EFR, since it includes the integral WG and BOV.

But if you are switching from a typical setup to an EFR setup, then you have to make some provisions for it, ie: delete the BOV and have the IC piping welded, and possibly have to do the same for the wastegate to the header if you pick one with an internal WG. Then you are pretty much locked into the EFR setup.

But as already mentioned, the internal WG EFR's are too small on the exhaust side.

Al

·
NiSmO [email protected]
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great points Rocket. I currently have twins. Looking to go Single.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I missed it. Have you considered the Precision 6766. It can make your hp goal pretty easily and leaves you some room to go in the future. It makes less aggressive torque then a 6466 (less concern about how its tuned to not bend a rod). I have been shopping around for a single turbo as well and that was the turbo I found that would best cover my goals. Looking for 750 wheel on e85. around 550 - 600 on just pump gas.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've not seen any on kill yet, but these are done more with response/track in mind than drag racing so instead of the max power per mm of inducer the wheel design etc is more aimed at managing shaft speed versus flow etc to keep the turbine wheel intact and the turbo responsive. They DO flow a lot but the target will be response vs flow as opposed to flow vs mm, I'd imagine you'd realise that less mm for flow does not necessarily equate to better response.

If I were a betting man, I would treat a 74mm EFR like an entirely smaller turbo than a 72-76mm Precision - both in terms of flow and very much so in response. Fwiw Vibrant Performance recently set a new record for FWD Time Attack cars at Tsukuba with their Civic running an EFR9280 at "Over 1000hp" and shared a log showing them pulling out of a tight corner from mid-3000rpm range during the record setting lap. Not many turbos capable of a legit 1000+hp will do that on a 4pot without nitrous, and certainly not something you'd expect from a G42 or 72+mm Precision donk. Or really even one around 67-68mm.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
12 Participants
te72
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing