Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this discussion on rebuild options and possible damage due to the EGR system has made me nervous.... guess I better quit putting off the MKIV EGR mods!

Anyone know a good source for an EGR block off plate?
I see that Dusty @ MVP has some from PHR, but $95 seems more than a little steep for aluminum plate.

TIA,

Jim
97TT

·
Registered
197 Posts
$95.00 is too high! Just remove the EGR and the gasket behind it and use the gasket as a template to make your own plate. Works good - lasts a long time. Then send me $50.00 for the advise and you'll be $45.00 ahead!!!!!

Richard

D

·
0 Posts
my dad with a plasma cutter made a plate in about 5 minutes.used gasket as an example then cut it out.bang job done in minutes.total cost of job $0.00.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What thickness/kind of metal should be used and how did you get another gasket, or doesn't it matter if the egr side has one?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used a thin piece of stainless steel to make mine (only thing on hand at the time) 0.020" thick. Primed, then installed with gasket on one side and a little permatex sealant on the other. Aluminum is easier to work with but it needs to be a little thicker, perhaps 0.032"-0.050".

·
462 Posts
I bought mine from MOHD $10. Made from aluminum.

You do not need to replace the EGR!!! I didn't want to nor did I have the #7 torx socket that's required to remove the EGR studs....so, I cut the holes in the plate through to the top and slid it into place up from the bottom. By cutting the holes through, the plate can slide up around the EGR studs. I slid it in in front of the EGR gasket that I just left in there. It works!

I think MOHD's email is [email protected]. He's the guy that runs MKIV.com. He also has great prices on many other parts.

I could have made one, but for $10, it wasn't worth the time/effort.

·
Old Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since my Dad doesn't have a plasma cutter (and my wife won't let me buy another toy right now - rats!), I guess I'll get a hold of Mohd and see if he can hook me up.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions and ideas!

Jim
97TT BPU w/EGR :(

D

·
0 Posts
you dont need that fancy torx wrench also for those bolts. i cant rembember off the top of my head right now but i thinks its the number 7 socket it is the same size as that fancy socket that you would only use once.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Leave it off. You're not using it anyway and as long as you plugged the 10k ohm .5watt resistor into the temp probe plug you won't get a check engine light. Just make sure the plates are blocking off the holes good.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
your correct!
DuessTT said:
you dont need that fancy torx wrench also for those bolts. i cant rembember off the top of my head right now but i thinks its the number 7 socket it is the same size as that fancy socket that you would only use once.

·
462 Posts
The EGR valve will be disabled when you put the block plate in. If you remove it, then you'll have to deal with the exh. gas tube that's hooked to it...not sure how you'll plug it off. I'm leaving mine on since I have another 2 years of warranty. Plus, I don't really need the extra space behind the throttle body for anything right now...so not worth the hassle of trying to figure out how to block off the exh. gas tube.

Ranger: Sweet HID kit I saw you selling...may have to hit you up sometime after I get the latest round of mods on the car!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
go to mkiv.com and look up the EGR block on the tech articles. You can also get hold of Mohd there. I believe Mohd now has set up the EGR take off set up as well as block but then he is into taking a lot of stuff off of his car from the mailings I have seen him make (he took off the trac unit).
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
thanks and ill have a set for you im sure ;)
Spool said:
The EGR valve will be disabled when you put the block plate in. If you remove it, then you'll have to deal with the exh. gas tube that's hooked to it...not sure how you'll plug it off. I'm leaving mine on since I have another 2 years of warranty. Plus, I don't really need the extra space behind the throttle body for anything right now...so not worth the hassle of trying to figure out how to block off the exh. gas tube.

Ranger: Sweet HID kit I saw you selling...may have to hit you up sometime after I get the latest round of mods on the car!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know there is no reason to leave it on, but why not just do the temporary solution with the vacuum caps and resistor? Won't leaving the egr valve on there and disabled be an effective "plate"? Just wondering. I did the temp mod today in about 2 mins.

·
462 Posts
A carbon buildup on some EGR valves, as per MOHD, does not allow the valve to close all the way. This allows the gas to bypass even though you have done EGR mod number "1". You also need the plate to ensure no gas passes.

swamibob said:
I know there is no reason to leave it on, but why not just do the temporary solution with the vacuum caps and resistor? Won't leaving the egr valve on there and disabled be an effective "plate"? Just wondering. I did the temp mod today in about 2 mins.

·
Old Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm happy to report the EGR plate is on the way - thanks to Mohd. $15 for a laser cut unit. A good deal IMO as it would probably take me several hours with a coping saw or tin snips to create some ragged POS! Cheap insurance. Now I have to spend time in the garage doing another mod! :D

Jim
97TT

·
462 Posts
Ahhhh....I want a laser cut one :( .

Oh well, I'm sure the one I have seals well...and was $5 less :)

Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts