Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I ordered the EGR block about a week ago.. and since I am putting on my DP in the next few days I decied to get around to isntall it...

Well to those that have not attempted this mod.. take hied... because this is a load of BS.... I mean dont get me wrong.. the parts are good and the mod is a good mod, but the install is such a biatch...

First off... to get this done correctly you need to remove the intake manifold. The first piece you need to remove is fairly easy since it is right on top.... but when you need to get to the second flange.. forget about it... unless you have miget hands, there is no way you are fitting your hands in there or fitting any type of usefull tool in there

So what I did was remove the first part... put the plate over it and then put the EGR valve back on it.... plug up all the hoses and leave the sensor pluged in...

My theory is this... even though the exhaust will come into that area, it wont get into the manifold.. so problem solved...

Anyone had advice on how to get to the second flange???

btw guys, this is my opinion and my experience.... take it as you may...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I want to say that I got the lower one off with a simple combination wrench, but that sounds wrong. I don't remember needing any special tools. Maybe I used a universal joint on a rachet. Gah....I don't remember, but I did get it off with out toooooo much trouble.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else with comments... also, any comments regarding the setup I did????

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do the single block-off plate or completely remove the egr?

Chris

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
The lower one was a PITA to get to at first but after figuring out the right angle to go in there it was easy. I just used a 12mm socket with a 6"extension, alot of cussing and a little blood.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Depending on how big (and nimble) you are, I'm 6'1", 170lb, you can climb up on to the engine, supporting one knee on the intake mainifold and another on the cast auminum part of the valve cover. Now you can look down directly over the EGR assembly. I found this puts a whole new perspective on doing this job. The bottom flange that is connected to the head can be seen easier and because you not working from a funky angle you can just barey reach it. I just used a 12mm socket with a 4" extension and took it right off. The trickiest part is not dropping the gasket.

Am I crazy for climbing up on my engine to get to stuff. I've done this on other cars too.:)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh great, this what I have to look forward to. I just ordered both pieces. Maybe I'll let it be the shop's headache when they go to install the new clutch set-up and electric fans. I looked back there last night and was wondering how you guys did it so it was a breeze. What kind of differences did you guys notice after installation?

Eric

T-78, 500 rwhp w/stock fuel and 152500 miles? Now that's a goal.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.. sitting on your engine huh.. I will consider that...

As for the setup I did.... basically I did the single plate install.... Although after install or durring for that matter, I think I bent the little vacuum line off of the EGR and now I have a small exhaust/boost leak... argh!

So my goal is to remove all of it!....

I might just have MPH unlimited remove it... Hopefully they will help me with it...

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I didn't really notice any difference after the install. Although my car was idling a little funny a few days afterwards. It seems to be OK now though; maybe it just had to seat properly.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for all who did the EGR mod, I bent the little vacuum line from the egr valve.. I bent it back, but I think I have a small exhaust / boost leak now...

any suggestions on how to fix it.. or should I just try to remove the entire system and be done with it...

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
SpdRcr0,

"I might just have MPH unlimited remove it... Hopefully they will help me with it..."

I checked with a mechanic in LA area--he'll charge you $60 to remove the EGR. Will take him about an hour.

If it sounds a good price then you can contact him @:
Rod's Auto Tech & Marine, 323-650-3665
999 N. LaBrea Av (entrance on Romaine, which is 1 blk S of Santa Monica Bl)

I have had GREAT experience with this guy in the past.
And, yes, I almost forgot--if you hit it on the right note with him, he's not going to mind you looking over his shoulder while working on your car, which could be an opportunity for you to learn some new tricks. Many mechanics just won't let you do that.

You can compare this quote to that from MPH.

Good luck,

Jay :cool:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedcraft here in Orange Park, Fl is like that. It's nice to be able to walk through the shop area while they're working on the car and pick up some knowledge. There were some guys that rolled up while they were on lunch break and tried to get close to my car while it was in the shop and they got quickly turned around. I really enjoy getting up on the Dyno Jet when those guys are working their magic, also. That's always a good time.

Eric

T-78, 500 rwhp w/stock fuel and 152500 miles? Now that's a goal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts