Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i recently had an engine fire on my 1987 Toyota Supra .The engine fire was caused by a negligent mechanic and I am current in the process of sueing them . Anyways I lost my whole factory harness and researched that itd be more cost effective to put in a whole new stand alone system. I put in the SIMPLE DIGITAL SYSTEMS EM-4. I get my car back and there is a HUGE exhaust leak coming from the back of the head. My car sounds and performs HORRIBLE. Now I have plans to simply block off the Exhaust gas Regulation valves. How hard of a job is this ? I could care less about removing it I just want to stop the exhaust leak as easy as possible.I just spendt 6 grand on the ems, suspension, and various other things damaged by the fire. I really do not want to spend anymore money on this car right now. I would like to also mention I now have my DNA boost controller completely closed.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
depends where its leaking, if its at the back of the head, even the block off plates wont do anything.

Its def. not more cost effective to go standalone. Good used harnesses go for ~200 bucks

Ang

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup it was my bad and what a stupid decision it was to go standalone i spent around 6 grand fixing and rewiring everything. What do you mean if its leaking out of the back of the head plugging it wont help ??? The way I understand it it would stop the exhaust gas from being routed back into the engine .

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
the block off plates block the port on the side of the head going to the valve and the intake port, if its leaking at the cooler plate on the back of the head, it will continue leaking from there whether you have block offs or not, check www.supratsrm.com for diagrams if you dont get what i mean.

Ang

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, if the fire got REALLY hott, it could have melted the EGR cooler and you now have a massive leak... but i cant see that happening.

the EGR block of plates block off the holes on the intake manifold.

and an SDS system probaly wont be as comprehensive as a stock TCCS. for something to work BETTER than stock, youd need something like a Technomotive or AEM

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea excuse my language but [email protected]% do i regret it. I suppose If i ever get everything tuned right it will be fine but i dont know. So how do I go about fixing an exhaust leak thats coming out that cooler plate will it be expensive?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way the mechanic explained it he said its leaking out a plate on the back of the head how do I go about fixing that?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
you need to take off the plate and put on a new gasket if anything.

or else, remove the plate and install a JDM-style EGR cooler block off plate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
flubyux2 said:
you need to take off the plate and put on a new gasket if anything.

or else, remove the plate and install a JDM-style EGR cooler block off plate.
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I have been told my EGR plate is leaking too, so do I have to remove the head to do this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts