Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i finally have time to sit down and type out the how to on blocking you egr gases from entering your intake manifold. thus cooling the intake charge and keeping your engine internals cleaner. And along with taking the EGR pipe that blocks the flow of air inside intake manfiold removing it will give you more airflow and less disturbance. The car is noticeably more responsive after this mod.

I searched around all of the internet , posted quesitons here and found no info what so ever and mean zero info for the 2jz-ge egr mod as it basically didnt exist . So I decided to do this write-up for fellow Supra owner's after i figured it out.

The 3 things you need to do this mod is 2 expansion plugs from pep boys,

part# 362501.1 35/64" sc exp plug

part#362747.1 20mm deep exp plug

Can of intake/thorttle body cleaner- you will see how dirty is when its apart. it took me almost 2 cans to get everything clean

one fuse from radio shack

ohm 1/2 watt resistor (part# 271-1126)

use the same resistor as the twin turbo egr mod

Ok lets start at step one .

step #1 Remove you intake/ intake pipe and filter

step #2 disconnect all the lines going to your throttle body
inlcuding thorttle lines and vacuum hoses. make sure you note what your removing and make sure you know where you took it off when putting evrything back when your done. there a egr diagram under the hood to help you out.

step #3 disconnect the egr system tubes and remove the tope egr saucer looking thing.

Step #4 removal the throttle body make sure you removal all the bolts.

Step #5 diconnect any tubes going into your intake manfiold.

Step #6 removal all the bolts holding the intake manfiold which is right after the throttle body and lookis like a y its one tube going into two then it connects to your runners. The inatke manifold uses a metal gasket and can be reused just make sure you dont damage it when removing it. Ther are going to be two bolts under the intake manfiold so you have to take them off before you take the manfiold off.

Step #7 remove the egr tube that attaches to the intake manfiold . you will need to take the bols off ten reomal the threaded bolts that hold evrything together/

Step #8 ok now you have done the hard part / you have the thorttle body off, you ave the intake manifold and metall gasket off .

Step #9 unplug the egr probe sensor connector and put the fuse in where the egr probe plugged in. make sure you secure the fuse in there. this will disbale your check engine from coming on.

Step #10 Clean the inside of you intake manfiold until its looks new. when you look inside the intake manfiold you will see a metal tube right before where the single intake path becomes two and right before the sort of air foil thing. thats what we called it on the impala's. Anyways you will need to unscrew the screw that holding the pipe in . next drill a hold threw the expansiong plugs that in there and take it out .

Step #11 removal the pipe that goes threw your intake manfiold thats used for the egr. its going to take you a couple mins to do . its snug in there. but it does come out.

Step #12 install the new 35/64 sc exp plug in the place of the one you took out.

step #13 install 20mm deep exp plug in where the egr tube connected to on the side of the intake manfiold . this will block the hot /dirty gas from entering your engine.

step #14 Now you are ready to bolt evrthing back on the car . its easier to put eveything back on then it is to take it off. Now just reinatsll all these parts on your car . when connecting the egr tube that comes from the back of the block back on the car make
sure to use the gasket. reinstall all the vacuum tubes/ sensors, install the throttle body , reconnect all the vacuum hoses and throttle cable, make sure everything is in the right spot. or else your car willnt run right. install you intake reonnect the maf, and start her up. It might take couple mins to idle right but afetr that your set. it took me about 5mins cause i disconnected the battery and cleaned the runners with intake/throttle body cleaner. the engine was really dirt on the inside. if you look at the egr tube you took out you will see how much crap is in it.

By the way your car might not pass emissions with this mod but ifs its already warm and runnning mint you will. If this is a problem for you dont do this mod is (off-road use only)

Good luck Sorry If i left anything out .

~Xdreamer~ 93.5 all natural supra (long island , NY)

If you want to take the whole egr system out you will need two egr plates to remove it completely. this will clean up your enigne bay but its emission legality is questionable but alot of cars pass visiaul with it blocked and should pass if the car is running good and is already warm. I am in no way repsonsible for anything that occurs after this modification to your car . Sorry i just have to cover my A$$. I have done this on my car within the last week and the car is alot more repsonive . it pulls harder and no affect on gas milage or idle.
i have seen no downside with it as of yet except a more responsive car. its like porting you intake manfiold to a degree you now adding about 20-25 percent more flow internally. so if you have a exhuast you will see a bigger gain. the gain is from removing the pipe. blocking the egr basically
stop the overheating of your pistons and wot and keeps the dirty gases out of enigne . All the tools you need are the same as the twin turbo egr removal . Sorry i didnt have time to note what sockets i used . Enjoy

:)

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks and look for my Changing Spark Plugs write up in the next week or so.......

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
can we get some pictures of this... i am not sure where the egr system is yet and i m interested in doing this mod... also, why do we have the egr system in the first place? all it does it reduce our hp...lol...just playin... but seriously... what's it for?

i'm interested in the headers... find out and let us know... thanks man

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the pics of where the egr is in under the tech section. I will try to get pictures for the n/a but its going to be a bit. Thanks and I will find out about the headers. and doing a group buy.

S

·
0 Posts
rw3 said:
Thanks and look for my Changing Spark Plugs write up in the next week or so.......
Ya I wanna do that so post it soon =). Any help will be great!

Rob~

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your going to do the egr mod then its perfect time to change your spark plugs. cause they are right in the middle of the block right under the intake manfiold~

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im from nassau county~long beach area. I use to have a black 95 chevy impala with custom made real carbon fiber hood , 96 lt1 vette engine. 18x9.5 boyd coddingtons. Maybe me you have seen that around. I broke the frame on it but anyways i have a mint white n/a supra now :)

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
xdreamer, it says on the mkiv.com site to use 10k ohm 1/2 watt resistor (part# 271-1126) for the turbo...is that the same one that you used for your car?

R

·
0 Posts
Also Xdreamer what size fuse did you use. All you said was a fuse from Radio Shack. Thanks and let us know

S

·
0 Posts
rw3 said:
Also Xdreamer what size fuse did you use. All you said was a fuse from Radio Shack. Thanks and let us know
ya heh that'll be very important so plz let us know asap

Rob~

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i just took a look under the hood and damn that's a lot of hoses to take off... i guess i'm gonna have to use a whole lot of labels... looks like this job is going to take the whole day... how long is this whole mod going to take me? the diagram under the hood is a little confusing to me right now... i just might wait for xdreamer's pics because the pics for the turbo from mkiv.com are different than our car.

R

·
0 Posts
I'll be doing this hopefully on friday. So I'll post with pics and also my spark plug change

S

·
0 Posts
rw3 said:
I'll be doing this hopefully on friday. So I'll post with pics and also my spark plug change
awsome man i'll be looking for em =)

Rob~

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10k ohm 1/2 watt resistor (part# 271-1126)

Thats the resistor you use. Sorry about that . Thanks Brett

And yes there are alot of hoses to disconnect. its not for the faint of heart.
this job will take you 2 maybe 3 hours with doing everything right and not rushing it.

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry you use a resistor not a fuse i edited my first post for the right resistor from radio shack. sorry .

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
the turbo guys say the egr mod won't free up hp for their cars... it's just basically a safety thing for cylinder 6 or something... so will it free hp for us or not?

daveh, any comments on this mod? did you do this before going na-t or after? is there another way to do this?

for the guy that's going to do this tomorrow, please take lots of pics and give a few more details on what to actually do... i understand some things but others i don't...

1) in step#3, disconnect which tubes? the p, q, & r? or just the p? or a different one? remove the saucer thing... the p, q, & r saucer thing or the one right next to it?
2) in step#9, where is the egr probe sensor connector located at?

i just want to make sure i will be doing this correctly... thanks

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
unlike the tt you are actually chanign internl;a flow chraretricitis by taking the pip out. and blocking the egr will just keep the engine cooler. cleaner internally and yu dont have to sworry as much as frying your pistons or wat not. the n/a setup had hot gased going into all the cyclinder compared to the tt which has it goinmg into 5-6 cyclinders. Hope this helps

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
*wishlist*supraTT said:
1) in step#3, disconnect which tubes? the p, q, & r? or just the p? or a different one? remove the saucer thing... the p, q, & r saucer thing or the one right next to it?
2) in step#9, where is the egr probe sensor connector located at?

i just want to make sure i will be doing this correctly... thanks
how about these two steps where i am a little confused???

1 - 20 of 123 Posts