Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to pass my emissions here in Northern Virginia inorder so I need to do this. I already failed 2x my emissions b/c the NOx is too high (other two gases are fine).

I had to take the EGR and EGR vacuum modulator from a USDM engine (disassembled) but I could not find the EGR cooler on this engine. What I found is some sort of a block off plate on the USDM engine which is almost like a 9-10 inch rectangular plate with about 8 bolts attached to the back of the head near the firewall.

So, here's my question(s) for the EGR gods of this bbs. Do I need that cooler inorder to run the EGR and EGR vacuum modulator on a JDM engine that didnt have that rectangular-like plate (checked it)? I also noticed that the EGR valve only had 2 ports, one for the throttle body and the other for the EGR vacuum modulator so I am confused on where the that cooler installed in? Pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have edited my post above. Changed the EGR vsv to EGR vacuum modulator.

Also, I have looked at that diagram on my '89T FSRM; but since I had to take the EGR and EGR vacuum modulator on a disassembled engine bay (parts car sold to me like this), would the cooler be the VSV in this diagram since that is the only one on the component layout drawing before the throttle body?:eek4dance

Sorry I am confused.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chard said:
I had to take the EGR and EGR vacuum modulator from a USDM engine (disassembled) but I could not find the EGR cooler on this engine. What I found is some sort of a block off plate on the USDM engine which is almost like a 9-10 inch rectangular plate with about 8 bolts attached to the back of the head near the firewall.

That rectangular plate IS the EGR cooler. :lol: :faint:. You need to remove the small 2 bolt jdm block off plate thats on the back of the head and install that egr cooler.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blackmagicsupra said:
That rectangular plate IS the EGR cooler. :lol: :faint:. You need to remove the small 2 bolt jdm block off plate thats on the back of the head and install that egr cooler.
Hmmm, I hope that it would fit since the USDM egr cooler had 8 bolts (2 rows with 4 bolts per row). I'll check tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could I run the EGR and EGR vacuum modulator without the EGR cooler? If so, what problems would I experience?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts