Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after reading i got confused... if i were to get a wideband o2 would i still need an a/f gauge and an egt gauge?

seems like an egt gauge is still necesary b/c from what ive read egt is best place in turbo or in #6...

but the whole wideband thing got me all confused...

with the wideband a/f can be measure?

do i even need to get egt and a/f gauge if i have wideband?

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
No, your wideband o2 will replace your narrowband o2 as the readings are A LOT more precise and accurate. Get rid of the narrowband o2.

as for EGT it is still useful even with the wideband. Best place is in the collector on the turbo.

I personally thing wideband o2, EGT, watertemp, boost are the most important gauges. I just need a wideband o2 to complete my string of important gauges to go into my car.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I would say oil temp is a much more important guage then water temp is. Water temp can fluctuate allot. Oil temps dont. when your oil starts overheating thats when you get problems. Plus the stock guage water guage, while not accurate, provides a good enough indication of problems.

A wideband is an amazing tool to have, and I recommend it to ANYONE who can afford it. Once you run with it, you will wonder how you EVER ran without it!

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Wierd, I was just about to go search some info on this topic (Might add a EGT on my list to get) and here it is!

As for replacing the stock narrow band with the wideband, I've only heard of one person doing it successfully... I'm sure there are more, but I've read one, compared to a hell of alot more that say just add another bung on.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
derK said:
No, your wideband o2 will replace your narrowband o2 as the readings are A LOT more precise and accurate. Get rid of the narrowband o2.

as for EGT it is still useful even with the wideband. Best place is in the collector on the turbo.

I personally thing wideband o2, EGT, watertemp, boost are the most important gauges. I just need a wideband o2 to complete my string of important gauges to go into my car.
Agreed on the EGT addition and placement of the probe but it is to my understanding that not all wideband O2s will mimic the narrowband signal which is what the stock ECU needs to read. The ones that do, don't mimic well. I also think you need to put the wideband O2 a little further down the exhaust than the stock location. That is usually the manufacturer's recommendation.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Justin said:

As for replacing the stock narrow band with the wideband, I've only heard of one person doing it successfully... I'm sure there are more, but I've read one, compared to a hell of alot more that say just add another bung on.

I have!

·
Search
3,305 Posts
I stand corrected, two people :)

How did you do it CK? My Zt-2 is on order... I don't wanna add another bung if I don't have to

Based on what I read in the past 20 minutes an EGT is nice, but having a wideband eliminates the need for an EGT...

if you are monitoring, in real time, your AFR, what is the point of seeing your EGT?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um so if i get a wideband o2 the egt gauge becomes a luxury rather than a nececety?

how about the a/f gauge would i still need one?

will the apex wideband that mvp sells work with BIC 3" dp?(without modification.)
and whats the deference betwin the lamba and afr sensor?

and do you need big hp b4 getting this or would you guys recomend one for a mere 300-350 hp?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Look at the PLX m-300...

·
Search
3,305 Posts
um so if i get a wideband o2 the egt gauge becomes a luxury rather than a nececety?
That's what I'm wondering

how about the a/f gauge would i still need one?
Not if your wideband has a display (like the ZT-2) or can hook upto a computer

and do you need big hp b4 getting this or would you guys recomend one for a mere 300-350 hp?
Yeah man, supras run pretty rich stock, right? So even by modifying your afr with an AFC you'd be able to gain some power...

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
HPfreack_mk3 said:

I am wondering the same thing, someone chime in. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
JT87NA said:
I am wondering the same thing, someone chime in. Thanks.
The whole point of the EGT gauge is to see if you are running on the lean side. But truth be told, the EGT doesn't tell you a whole lot. And by the time it does tell you anything, it's probably too late.

The best thing to do is keep your stock narrow band O2 for the stock ECU. Get the wideband welded either around the stock O2 or down near where the CAT would be if you had one. NO EGT or A/F gauge necessary.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
HPfreack_mk3 said:

I've heard of the A/F ratio being in the right #S but having the cyl temperature still fluctuate around that. The EGT is not a necessity but it is more than a luxury.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Trent. What you say is true regarding an egt probe/guage being used to monitor for a lean condition (to and extent), but you can also monitor excesive timing retard as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts