Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of theses off of 94MKIV and I was wondering which spring when in the front? Is it the shorter, smaller one or the taller, bigger one? I've got the bigger one on the front and it looks weird. But I figure if you put the smaller one on the front, the car would way to low. Thanks and LMK

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Hi. I just installed eibachs + kyb shocks in my NA. The longer/taller springs were for the rear. It should be the same for the TT... but don't quote me on that!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same thing but I just had them that way and it didn't look right so I changed them. I've got a 94 NA and with the taller one's in the front it looks really weird. So I'll change them tomorrow and see what's up. I'd also like an opinion from others

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is your car level with the tall one's in the back and the short one's in the front? Thanks and LMK

·
boost is good
772 Posts
if i remember correctly, usually the taller go in the rear...the more tightly wound spring usually goes in the front, which i think in this case is the shorter spring...ide call a shop and find out for sure though

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed the problem. The short one's in the front and the tall one's in the back. It looks awesome now!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I sure don't but I can tell you if you were to do a road race, put the longer one's in the front. It will stiffen the car up a lot. I took a sharp turn at 60 and the car didn't try to come out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
think about what the car does when you step on the brakes...the front end dips forward...and for this reason you use the spring with the higher spring rate up front. Meaning the heavier, stronger spring -TIM

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just bought a set of Eibach, and I went to a shop, and they quoted me $250 to install them. They said it would take 6 hours for the front!? I was like, f'it, I'll do it myself. So I just wanna know what tools do you need to install springs?

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
air tools would be extremely helpful
set of metric sockets, wrenches, breaker bars etc
spring compressor
lift/jacks (of course)
buddies to help out
torque wrench, if u want to put things back together correctly
mkiv shop manual (mkiv.com link)
time and patience!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eibach lowering springs

Drag_on Supra

I had my Eibachs (and Bilsteins) installed on my Mkiv about 3 weeks ago, and it took almost exactly 4 hours. I was with the guy the whole time so i know that's how long it took.

This guy has done several Supras before, so knew what he was doing, but any other garage should be able to do it in similar time.

6 hours just for the fronts is a total rip-off. we did 4 springs, and 4 shock absorbers in 4 hours !

Also, to confirm on the product codes for the Eibachs, (as this has caused some confusion over here in the UK) :
The BOX code for the Eibach pro-kit springs for Supra = 8222.140
This kit consists of 2 front springs and 2 rear springs (obviously)
The FRONT SPRING code = 8222.001
The REAR SPRING code = 8222.002

These spring codes will be stamped on the actual Eibach spring itself. So that's the easy way to tell that the 8222.001 spring goes on the front and the 8222.002 spring goes on the rear.

Also, the front will be lowered about 1.5 inches and the rear about 1 inch (compared to stock ride height).

I'm very pleased with the result. The ride is perhaps a little jiggly now but the car feels very well controlled now during fast driving.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the extra info. Yeah, the shops around here are very stupid when it comes to imports. They took one look at my car and said that they would have to take the back apart and some other bs. When I left the guy goes "nice celica by the way":rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem Drag-On Supra.

keep in touch with the outcome of it.
just don't pay 6 hrs. work for the front spring change !!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did the whole change, all four wheels, in about 4 hours. It was easy. I did it myself with no help. Easiest thing I've ever done.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One should not swap springs front to rear - the spring rates are different and you will end up with a car that is unbalanced. Also the ride height will be incorrect. Like most front engine cars, the Supra takes a front spring rate substantially higher than the rear. Jeff

·
Registered
39 Posts
mkivsoopra said:
:blue:

Did u have pictures with the long springs in front? ... just wondering how it looked =)
Here's a pic with the reversed Eibach Supra Springs on my SC300. Pics are from the shop which is why the car is dirty. After driving on these I smashed the front bumper stops since the springs were not very stiff. I recently switched the springs again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts