Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the part number is for the Eibach front springs vs the rear springs? I seriously doubt this is the problem (the springs being installed on the wrong end of the car), but the front of the car seems to be about 1/4-1/2" to low. It may be a descrepancy in the AGX shocks (being shorter than stock or having a lower spring perch), but I thought I would check anyway. Basically the front tire rubs the upper fender liner while cornering hard and when entering a driveway at an angle. I have installed some TRD swaybars and they have pretty much eliminated the rubbing while cornering, but they still rub over a bump if hit at an angle. This is with the same size/offset wheel and tire I ran on the front of my other car at the roadcourse and smaller than the setup I used on the street. I never had any issues with the other car rubbing. This is what leaves me to believe that either the shocks/springs have been installed incorrectly (slim chance) or that the specs on the shock length or spring perch on the AGX's is a little lower than stock shocks.

Any input would greatly be appriciated. I don't want to go with coilover because the spring rates are just to high for a daily driver. And I really don't want to spend the extra money to change to the Koni's (with the adjustable spring perch), because the Eibach/AGX setup should work fine for my needs and shouldn't rub.

Thanks again, Steve

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Does the ride height seem too low when sitting, or is it just that the fronts rub the tops of the fenders under extreme conditions?

If it's just the rubbing, the problem is that when they installed the KYBs/Eibachs, they forgot to install the stock bump stops. The Eibachs don't have nearly enough spring rate to prevent the suspension from rubbing; they depend on the bump stops.

Andi

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andi,

Thanks for the info. The person that installed them said that he did replace the bumpstops, but he is not sure whether he cut them or not. We will check tonight.

The fact that the suspension would be riding through a curve on the bumpstop (when you have Eibach's) does concern me. If I went into a curve at 10/10's I could rub the inner fender liner through the whole curve. This would mean that supposedly I would have been riding on the bumpstop the whole time if your assumption is correct. This should make for a pretty ill handling car so I'm not sure the car actually needs the bumpstops while cornering, but only when you hit a bump. If the rear springs (180-263 lbs./in. had been put on the front (normally 370-510 lbs./in. )than I could see how it would bottom out, but it would seem that the front end would look "slammed". The front end doesn't look to low but it only seems like I need an extra 1/4" or so which probably wouldn't be noticed anyway.

Thanks for your input, Steve

PS I know you don't drive your car very far, but would you consider the Tein's streetable?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
Andi,

Thanks for the info. The person that installed them said that he did replace the bumpstops, but he is not sure whether he cut them or not. We will check tonight.

The fact that the suspension would be riding through a curve on the bumpstop (when you have Eibach's) does concern me. If I went into a curve at 10/10's I could rub the inner fender liner through the whole curve. This would mean that supposedly I would have been riding on the bumpstop the whole time if your assumption is correct. This should make for a pretty ill handling car so I'm not sure the car actually needs the bumpstops while cornering, but only when you hit a bump. If the rear springs (180-263 lbs./in. had been put on the front (normally 370-510 lbs./in. )than I could see how it would bottom out, but it would seem that the front end would look "slammed". The front end doesn't look to low but it only seems like I need an extra 1/4" or so which probably wouldn't be noticed anyway.

Thanks for your input, Steve

PS I know you don't drive your car very far, but would you consider the Tein's streetable?
Steve,

Eibachs most certainly do not have the spring rate to be as low as they are *and* prevent hitting the bump stop. Teins at 90% more spring rate *STILL* allowed occasional rubbing of the fender liner when cornering and braking at the same time, till I put the stock bump stops back on. Part of the price you pay w/ Eibachs for their smooth ride and pimp lowness is riding the bumpstops when cornering.

You know it's funny that I said I don't have to drive my car that far for work. Because I realized recently that I put as just about as many miles on my car as a daily driver (I've put 20K miles on it since I bought it in December '99). I guess I like driving it too much! :)

With Teins it rides pretty damn stiff.....

Andi

J

·
0 Posts
I took my first drive on the new HKS coilovers today and was pleasantly surprised how nice the ride was at the soft shock setting. I'll be on the track on the 23rd and will find out how well they work in race conditions. On the street, compared to my previous Koni/Eibach setup, the ride is a bit firmer but certainly, from my perspective, good enough for a daily driver. The handling precision is markedly better, more difference than I expected. The new HKS setup has linear rate springs almost identical to the Teins, with a new monotube type shock with a wide range of valving adjustment. Adjusting is done with an allen tool through the top of the shock rod. I know they're expensive, but my initial impression is that they'll be worth it. Jeff B. in CO

·
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I spoke to Eibach yesterday and they gave me the part #'s for the correct springs. 8222.001 front and 8222.002 rear. I have the correct parts and they are installed correctly on the front and rear. I also got the specs on ride height. They gave the following #'s. This is measured from the center of the wheel to the lip if the fender.

LF 13.80" (their numbers were in mm, I have converted to inches.)
RF 14.00"
LR 13.50"
RR 13.50"

These are my actual measurements.
RF 13.00"
LF 13.25"
LR 13.25"
RR 13.25"

I wasn't concerned about the .25" difference on the rear measurements, but to be off .75" on the front had me thinking that the front springs were just wrong. After taking the front shock out and removing the spring we realized that the bump stop had been cut. They are about 2.25" tall and about .75" had been cut off. I have ordered new bumpstops and feel pretty confident that this will cure my rubbing. This still doesn't explain why the front of my car seems to be lower than Eibach's specs. The car looks fine and doesn't look slammed at all.

Later, Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts