Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying some Eibach springs and staying with the stock shocks. I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to install these. I dont' think there's a tech article on MKIV.com.

Is this an easy do it yourself job or no? Any special tools needed?

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
there is info at mkiv.com under the tech manual section. you will need a spring compression tool. most stores will loan them to you Autozone etc. I'd say 3-4 hrs is optimiztic. I just replaced shocks to KYB with stock springs and it took longer, especially the front drivers side. you have to remove the washer tank and on my car the stud holding the upper wishbone suspension member was a bitch to get out. the rears are definitely easier.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
um....I'm not finding any articles on MKIV.com. All I see is "Tein Coil - Manual" and it's in Japanese. Am I completely missing something?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I used the information posted on MKIV.com under the service manual postings. Look in the section that has instructions for front shock replacement. This section contains all the information that you will need.

There were actually several steps in the manual that I did not have to do. I did not have to move the washer assembly. Once you disconnect the front sway bar all you have to do is manuver the front suspension around with a pry bar to get the shock out. You only have to move the suspension assembly in the normal realm of movement so no excessive force is needed.

The rears are even easier. you only have to remove the three bolts on top and one bolt on the bottom and then manuver the suspension assembly out. You do not need to unbolt the rear breaks or rear sway bar.

It took me an two hours to swap out the rear suspension assemblies without power tools. Since I was swapping out the entire assembly it went a little quicker. Power tools will cut your time in half.

Hope this helps.

-pete

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't understand why people don't buy the shop manuals for the Supra.

This could be an appropriate statement if maybe I HAD a set of Eibachs and wanted to know how to install them. If you look at my first post, all I wanted to know was how difficult the installation was and if I needed special tools. Just wanted more info before I decided whether to buy them or not.

M

·
0 Posts
All you need is a socket set and a long breaker bar if you remove the front upper A-Arm bolt. The spring will come out easily, if you undo the top nut slowly. It's not compressed very much. Putting the new springs in is even easier. Just have a friend push down on the cap and put the nut on.

I had to remove the upper A-Arm bolt because even with the anti-sway bar disconnected, I still couldn't pull the strut assembly out no matter how hard I pushed down on the lower arm. Removing the A-Arm bolt wasn't hard at all either (the driver side requires disassembling the wheel well shroud near the front to pull the bolt out). Once that came out, the strut came out easily.

The rears just require 4 nuts be removed, 3 up top, 1 below.

Just be sure to remove the brakeline from the chassis mount, at least for the fronts, or you might pull it apart pushing down on the control arm assembly (I removed them all completely along with the calipers and rotors, since I was replacing them anyway).

The whole job took less than 2 hours.

·
0 Posts
heh i put in KYB's and eibach springs on my car in just under 2 hours. then again i have a lift and all tools accessible :D the only Bitch about the job is the front drivers side wheel. The windshield washer tank got in my way and pissed the F*** out of me. But the rest were a piece of cake..especially the rear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since everyone seems to say they're a relatively easy install, I went ahead and bought the Eibachs. Ebay for $148.50.

I feel like I'm 'Live Without a Net'.

Look for my post in two weeks: "WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW!??!?"

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts