Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to here some opinins, theories and testimonials about electric fans.

From what I HEAR they are good for about 10whp since you are freeing up rotational mass.

I was discussing this with Scoop the other day, and he brought up a few points that made me wonder. His theory is that the stock fan will actually move more air because it moves based on engine speed, and is going to cool based on need. Electric fans are constant.

Which one will actually move more air? The stock fan setup, or the Electic fan kit? Does anyone have any ACTUAL #s.

I live in Ohio, so it's not like Texas or AZ heat. I do understand that this will put a greater strain on my alternator, but I'm not to concerned about this.

TIA,

Howard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I think I might have a brain, but not too sure how well it works...

I know this isn't really helping your question directly, but I had an electric fan kit on my mustang and it did make a difference both in power and in the cooling ability. The electric fan kept the engine cooler when it was running but the temperature was somewhat erratic (like you would expect from something that is not always running). With that kit it all depended on where you placed the temp probe and whether the wind was making it seem cooler than the radiator really was.

Overall I liked it, but the biggest downside, at least with the mustang, was the stock alternator was too small and it would really put a strain on it. I know that the supra has a bigger alternator so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I might have a brain, but not too sure how well it works...
LOL, I only said that to try and provoke a response.

Thanks for your input. I have heard it's best to wire it on so they are on all the time, or with a switch. I am not running any extra audio equipment, so I think the alternator should be ok. I like to do a lot of research b4 I spend money on a mod.

Anyone else?

Howard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts