Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea...

I have the dual electric fans from 1994 dodge intrepid (my recently deceased daily driver). They are very similarly sized to the mk3 radiator, and after removal of the clutch fan the depth is perfect. My question is, as I have never converted, how does one run them automatically? I dont want an ON-OFF switch that I hit manually. Do they make aftermarket temp sensor/on-off switches for this application? Anyone evver use 1st gen LH car fans? Also, when installing, do I want them to pull in air or push out air? Do you think this would be worth the trouble?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
yes they do make temp sensor switches.

You can also get a relay, and a good size fuse, and good size wires and you should be fine.
And you want them to pull

·
Registered
596 Posts
sorry to BUM off this thread, but i was just wondering if there was a downside to just having elec fans constantly running. i have heard that it could drain too much power... but all i need is enough to run the car and my stereo with 2 speakers. thoughts?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought a relay kit to run a taurus fan in my supra. Discount auto had it for about $40. It has a temp probe to insert in the radiator core, and pretty decent instructions. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
149 Posts
a_zepeda9236 said:
sorry to BUM off this thread, but i was just wondering if there was a downside to just having elec fans constantly running. i have heard that it could drain too much power... but all i need is enough to run the car and my stereo with 2 speakers. thoughts?

Sometimes if I turn the car off before I turn the fans off, or if the car stalls, I won't have enough voltage to switch the starter relay. Happened a few times and ever since I store a small booster pack behind the passenger seat :)

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm I'd really like to wire them up like stock, there shouldnt be such issues as long as they shut off with the key off I dont see why there would be such a drain. know mk3's never came stock that way, but MANY cars do and don't have issues so I dont see why a mk3 should.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I wouldn't want to run my fans all the time. Aside from them being loud (twin FAL's) and pulling amps, their life expectancy will shorten. Mine run off a radiator fan switch that I put into the Tstat housing, where the BVSV used to go. It cost me 32 bux at Summit racing, and the power goes through a twin relay that I bought off of Ebay for 9bux. The fans come on at 200 degrees, and shut off at 185. After driving on the highway(where the fans stay off), the fans will come on once I go back to city driving, and then sometimes come on for 3-4 minutes after I shut down. I like.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Fal210's here, no problems. They run sometimes for a few minutes after shutting down, and even kick back on for a minute or so maybe 5 minutes later or so, but no battery issues, also using a Redtop though.

G

·
i ve got the Fal fans. theyre nice when wired right. i bought my car from a kid who was a little too into Fast and Furious. He spliced into some wires, then taped them without soldering and put a giant 3" chrome switch on the dash to run them. i quickly got rid of this junk after i was driving one night and the car died because the poor wiring shorted and melted six or so wires together in the harness.
But who cares when youve "got the same blow off valve thats in Fast & Furios" and although its an all stock 7m-gte "it makes 310 hp at the rear wheels" just a few of the claims of my cars previous owner.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Flea420 said:
Fal210's here, no problems. They run sometimes for a few minutes after shutting down, and even kick back on for a minute or so maybe 5 minutes later or so, but no battery issues, also using a Redtop though.
Same here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts