Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DSM style? Yes, thats right. I've installed my electic fan mod using electic fans out of a 91 Eclipse. I was inspired to do this when I read this thread:

http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41908

I read that other people did the mod and had very good success with it (but not 92nat :)). I, on the other hand, did not have very much success with my own electic fan mod. I tried to use a 16 in cooling fan made by Hayden. Cost me $90.00 on eBay (Pepboys sells it for like $130). And a smaller 8 inch fan that I had laying around (I think it's a flex-a-lite). Anyway, the fans couldn't cool the car enough and it would overheat after racing it. Here's some pics of the setup:

So today I went to the junk yard and picked up 2 electric cooling fans off of a 91 Eclipse ($20.00/each). Got home, cleaned up the Eclipse fans and began work on installing them. They ended up fitting perfectly, BUT I needed to use ZIP TIES to hold them onto the radiator. To do this I drilled 4 holes in each fan and then fed the zip ties through holes, into the radiator, and then and back up through the radiator. To control the fans I bought a fan relay with an adjustable thermostat. So far the fans are working great. It isn't overheating yet. We'll see how they hold up during a night of racing this Saturday. Heres some pics of the install:

And the relay:

92nat, Your gonna have to drill holes in the fans use zip ties to secure the fans to the radiator. As far as them not fitting, I think it's becuase you don't have them overlapping. They are designed to overlap eachother. If they aren't overlapping, they won't fit in between the frame.

I'll let everyone know if these work out for me. Hopefully they will!

· when this baby hits 88mph
2,200 Posts
hmm...that does fit pretty good. hope it works out for u.

word of caution- i notice u are using the temp probe that fits inside the fins. those arent the most reliable...they get loose and dont make good contact, which will reduce its effectiveness which in turn may cause overheating. the best ive seen (and running current duty on my car) is the flex-a-lite control box. its temp sensor actually goes inside the rad tank. works really well. has adjustable temp setting and manual override. just something to think about.

Dave

G

·
Why not just hardwire them to be on whenever the car is on. I dont drive my car in the winter so Im not worried about crappy heat. Just an idea, unless they are really loud and anoyying, but the stock fan is always spinning, moving air through, just faster when engine is hotter.

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the radiator doesn't get hot enough to melt zip ties. I've seen a lot of people use them for this application so I'm not too worried about it.

Interesting Dave, I'll have to keep a close eye on that probe. If it does give me problems I will definely look into that intank sensor.

I got the relay because I didn't really like the idea of tapping all my fans off of positives from things around the engine bay. The relay has a manual override that can be hooked up to the A/C compressor or a switch. I'm going to be running a switch into the cabin and controlling the fans from there. I will likely leave the manual override switch ON all the time. In the event that the switch is turned off and not turned on, the fans will automaticly kick in when the temp rises above 100 F.

· Premium Member
6,754 Posts
that seems like a clean setup, so where does the needle stay on your temp gauge during like normal and aggressive driving? also if you cna report back on how well it is working for you. aight thanks man.

· Premium Member
6,754 Posts
oh yeah, what type of ecilpse was it? tubo, non-turbo, auto, stick, etc.???
oh yeah... zip ties work forever, i have zipties holding up my radiator shroud for about 4 months and they are still in good condition.

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
91 Eclipse GS, Non-turbo, automatic, 1.8L

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
Oh my I've been saying this for the last 7 Months!!

I have this installed on my supra.. I only have the one plastic fan installed right now.. Havne't needed the second fan... I gave that to my buddie who was useing maxima fan's and started to overheat.....

Took me that long to finally install the relay today! Damn.. Anyhow.. The talon fans I got where off a 93... They work like a blasted charm.. cost me 50 CDN Why do ppl pay the money for the flexalite when its sooooo much cheeper to do talon fans..

Anyhow nice install.. I used coat hangers.. I bent the coat hanger in to a 0 so I could put the screw through it then made a L shape end that went in the fan side so the fan could not clip out.

Works great best way to gain 10 hp.. can't beat it 50 cdn = 10 hp! :D
Wish i had a digital camera

G

·
Very Cool. I have read about this before, and it looks like it's down to a science now. I have a really cool site with some really good homemade mods that do a lot of good things, mail me at [email protected] and I'll give it to ya. When I do that DSM style cooling I want the Fans to run all the time so I'm not to good with wiring. (I did a lite bar on a civic back a while a go) that wasn't hard. So whatever tips you got i'll be thankful for.

· JDMSoopraDriftoMachine!!1
878 Posts
You say those 2 fans are both from a 91 GS? They look different to me, one has 3 supports, the other has 4, blade shape, etc. And it looks like one is sideways and the other vertical =P Not that anyone is going to be seeing that much of them, but I was just wondering. If it works well, more power to ya =P

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
The 2 fans are from one car.. the car comes with 2 fans.. one flows more then the other I Think is only turned on when the car is beat on..

I'll get some pictures of mine if i ever get a digital cam or borrow my friends again.

· JDMSoopraDriftoMachine!!1
878 Posts
W00t! Me and Phaux went out today to a pick-n-pull yard and got the same two fans. Yes, I see how they fit together now, they just don't look related to each other at all :D He should probly have them in within a month... as soon as he gets the head machined :rolleyes:

Ah, and do the two DSM fans flow more less or = to the s00pras?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.