Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking for some electric fans for my 1jz, and i dont want to run a fan thats only gonna flow 2500cfm, so the FAL-210s are no good.

but there is the FAL-295, which flows 4600cfm. but it is 17.5"h x 27.5"w.

the stock radiator core is supposed to be around 25.6" W X 17.8" H. will the FAL-295 fan work with the stock radiator? with maybe some weather stripping around the overlapping parts?

also with this: FAL-295
will i need anything else, like a controller or thermostat?

thanks
-Scott

·
Registered
416 Posts
Those fans will more then flow enough the problem is fitting them. They are 4" thick, and 27" wide. Take some measurements from your radiator to the IC pipes and pullies, you will find that they wont fit, especially if you have a upgraded radiator.

If you are bound and determined to use an electric fan, my recomendation would be to use this:

http://www.zirgo.com/detail.lasso?itemid=ZFU16

And mount it in the stock hydrofan shroud. Do not run it on all the time, that is the surest way to kill an electric fan. Use a between the fins type of thermostat, the ones that go into the upper rad hose are just a headache to fit and make the hose seal properly. Ive had that headache and its really not worth the trouble.

If i had to go to an E-fan again, i would use that fan and some kind of fan controller with digital temp display so i could set the fan trigger temp accurately and keep a close eye on temps instead of relying on the stock guage which seems to be powered by mr peabodies wayback machine.

The between the fins thermo willbe the cheapest.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that fan you linked to is also 4" thick, so i dont see how if there will be any problem using the FAL-295s which is the same depth

how much room is available to mount an e-fan with the 1jz. i dont have my 1jz in yet so i cannot measure anything. also, it will be with the stock radiator

the hydrofan is not an option for me

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, nevermind, it probably wont fit b/c of the intercooler pipe on the intake side

but a 4" deep single fan most likely will fit, correct?
i found a few that will flow 3500 cfm

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yep the depth is an issue because of fitment with the IC pipes. With an upgraded radiator, and FAL 210 fans (2 1/4 inches thick) the IC pipes couldnt fit. So imagine what a 4" fan would be like.

The fan i linked is 3950cfm. That should be adequate, make sure you use a shroud. The shroud is what directs the airflow and it will make a difference. However let it be noted that IMO the hydrofan works great and we are just re-inventing the wheel here.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anorexicpoodle said:
Yep the depth is an issue because of fitment with the IC pipes. With an upgraded radiator, and FAL 210 fans (2 1/4 inches thick) the IC pipes couldnt fit. So imagine what a 4" fan would be like.

The fan i linked is 3950cfm. That should be adequate, make sure you use a shroud. The shroud is what directs the airflow and it will make a difference. However let it be noted that IMO the hydrofan works great and we are just re-inventing the wheel here.
what shroud would you use? if i dont have a stock hydrofan shroud?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what about this?
fal 180

it has a shroud, but flows 3300cfm

i want something that will flow around 3500cfm, does anyone know of anything?

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i have the flex a lite fan set up on mine.the intercooler pipes are up against the fans hard if you want to bolt the ic pipes to the frame,where they are intended to be.i have a stock radiator also,its a tight fit

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone have an opinion on the FAL 180? it flows 3300cfm, and is a single 15" fan, with a shroud on it

but it is 17.5" x 21.5" so it is 2" to short on each side. will this cause a problem?

what other electric fans are people running, other than the FAL 210s

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I think I will be getting the FAL 180. I have a 3 core rad from a Chevy Nova in my car so it is thicker than stock and it has the tanks on the sides. So that will fit my rad perfectly. Does any one know exactly how much room there is between the center of the rad and the motor?.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think i have decided to ditch my 7m radiator and get a koyo with FAL 210s, should work fine in the weather i have here

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
you'll never get your ic pipes back on the car with that radiator and fan set up.i got stock 7m radiator and flex-a-lite 210's.its a tight fit

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tsuper92 said:
you'll never get your ic pipes back on the car with that radiator and fan set up.i got stock 7m radiator and flex-a-lite 210's.its a tight fit
it'll fit

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tsuper92 said:
i thought a koyo was thicker then stock,post a pic when you do it.i'd like to upgrade my radiator too

ask hamsMKIII for a pic, he is running that setup now

·
1000whp envy
1,590 Posts
get something like this PRM-19115 enter it at summit or this PRM-19114 i have the last one and i have to say it beats the stocker hands down and have some room to spare. their cheaper thenthe fal 210s thats for sure

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
streetknight said:
get something like this PRM-19115 enter it at summit or this PRM-19114 i have the last one and i have to say it beats the stocker hands down and have some room to spare. their cheaper thenthe fal 210s thats for sure

do you have to get anthing else with that? or just that?

also are you running the 14" or the 16" fan

and have you have any overheating trouble in the middle of the summer or with a/c on?

·
1000whp envy
1,590 Posts
NeverNZ said:
do you have to get anthing else with that? or just that?

also are you running the 14" or the 16" fan

and have you have any overheating trouble in the middle of the summer or with a/c on?
i have the 14, have not run it in the summer yet, and you need a temp sensor to turn it on unless you want it on all the time

·
Registered
488 Posts
sorry if its off the subject, but is the thermostat in the same location as the 2jz? im planning on upgrading to the TRD t/stat. thanks

1 - 20 of 45 Posts