Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fans on my car are really starting to piss me off. I've got Flexalite 210s that I've had installed on my 87 turbo for about 5 or 6 months now. They've been doing great until the past few weeks. A couple of times now I've turned off my car but I'd hear the fan still going. I was confused. I'd turn the key half way to turn on all the electric stuff, and then turn it back off and the fans would then turn off. But today they won't turn off at all. I drove my car a few blocks, and after turning off the car, the fans were still on. I tried turning it on and off a few times, but they stayed on. Then I drove back home and they did the same thing. Turned the car on and off a few times, tried adjusting the temp knob to the fans to the highest and lowest a few times, but no luck. The only way that I can turn the fans off right now is to actually disconnect the car battery. Has anyone had this and fixed it before? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the little electric box for the fans is going to crap. But if anyone has some ideas to fix this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Dominic

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
The flexalites come with their own temp sensor and settings. Your fans are probably set or somehow got set to a very low temp setting.

Kruso

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If i am right, you probably wired up the + to the fans and the ground to the relay to control the fans, this would create a ground for the fans to operate from if the ground wire were ever grounded(ie. by way of a faulty or damaged wire).

If i were you I would wire up a relay to between the +12 on supply and the temp sensor, triggered by the +ignition. This way if your ignition key were removed(except when running off of a turbo timer) the fans will have their power cut via ignition+ no longer supplying power. :D

You should also check the temp sensor to make sure it is properly reating to temp changes(use a controllable heat source and a continuity/resistance meter to see if it is closing/opening the circut at the correct temperatures).

Its prob not as serious as you think.

KR

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
either that or the power relay got stuck open.

·
7M-GTEU Turbo-A Powered
79 Posts
yeah Im having the same problem... I drove my car for a bit and the fan turned off when shut the car off... Now when I drive it and when I shut the car off the fan stays on. I have no clue what could be causing the fan the to stay on

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I actually got mine fixed. I just called Flex-a-lite and told them I had a defective control box. So, they over-nighted me a new one after I faxed them my receipt for the original. Basically with mine, it would turn on if the car was colder than "hot". Like, if I only drove it 3 blocks, it'd stay on because it wasn't hot enough. But if I dove for 15 - 20 minutes, it'd be off when I turned the car off, but then once it cooled down, the fan would turn back on. Totally killed my battery too, so I had to replace that also. Hope this helps.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i were u I would try and see if flex-a-lite will pay for your new batt too(can you say optima)?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, my battery was from 2000 and there wasn't even a brand name found on it. So it was kind of its time. And since I'm poor, I had to go with a normal batt that I picked up at schucks. I'll be getting rid of my car pretty soon anyway, because its just becoming a money pit. Right now I've still got a BHG (the second one), shot bearings, warped rotors, and wasted brake pads. Really makes you love a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts